What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Problem with the curing phase

Gio88

Hi! Today I've started the curing phase of my harvest, I put the weed in the jars (after 5/6 days of drying) the only problem the hygrometer inside the jars says the humidity is 51% .... Too low to start the curing phase even if at the touch the weed doesn't seems too dry! Is it my harvest ruined? There something I can do?thanks

igrowone

Veteran
depends how long it's been in the jars
takes 24 hrs or so for the in jar humidity to peak(i think)
but i have found it's worth the jar treatment even if it reads below 55%

Americangrower

Veteran
yeah may not be accurate reading, leave jars closed I'm sure it will go up. Don't burp jars until it goes up to 60 or so.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Does the bud feel crispy? If so it probably accurate.

Its always useful to have back up hygrometers so you can be sure its not faulty, and you can use a humidity pack like boveda 58 or 62% until the buds humidity has risen and then take them out so the cure can resume.

Gio88

After few hours the humidity is now 58% ! Do you suggest to keep the jars closed to increase the humidity?

SuperBadGrower

If the RH% rises by that much in a few hours you should let it dry more IMO
Having wet weed in a jar is a recipe for disaster... I registered here to ask questions about this method you are using (I jarred a plant that was too wet and ruined it)

So IMO these % numbers are baloney and most of the recommendations for jarring are way too wet. There isn't even a clear answer on what curing exactly is. I get equal or better results from being lazy and letting them hang 4-5 weeks before harvesting. It will absolutely never dry out on you if your RH is around/above 50%. Last plant I cut had been hanging for 5 weeks, and after removing the buds from the stems they still needed time in the air to equalize the moisture that was on the inside. That said it's always 45%-58% here I would not recommend leaving it out below 40%

Only way to gauge your bud is now is by rolling a joint and smoking it and that's exactly what I recommend doing. If it's wet inside you'll feel it. You will learn everything you need to know by continuously smoking that shit instead of following a bunch of curing guides ;). Everyone also has their personal preference

Last edited:

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Its dead simple.

They should go in the jar after stems snap.. within a day or 2 the humidity will have risen a bit and they will probably feel a bit squishy.. dry a bit more till the balance of humidity feels even throughout the flower again then put back in jars and check in another couple days. Or dry properly and then stick a boveda 58% in.

58% imo is about right, but thats only if your hygrometer is working and you have dried it properly prior to jarring.. otherwise the humidity will keep swinging up till you dry it more thoroughly. Over dry bud normally has lost a lot of terpenes in the process and wet weed above 62% can have too much anaerobic fermentation going on which also eats terps and thc.. imo.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Follow the directions in this thread.

Obviously, the product need time to sweat in the jar. As such, accurate readings won't be seen for ~24 hours, assuming the flowers are in the optimal cure zone. If you're curing the product for long-term storage, give the flowers 4-5 days for an accurate reading. If the product is sill very wet, a +70% RH reading will show within hours. If you see the RH rising ~1% per hour, keep a close eye on the product, as it's likely too moist.

Gio88

If the RH% rises by that much in a few hours you should let it dry more IMO
Having wet weed in a jar is a recipe for disaster... I registered here to ask questions about this method you are using (I jarred a plant that was too wet and ruined it)

So IMO these % numbers are baloney and most of the recommendations for jarring are way too wet. There isn't even a clear answer on what curing exactly is. I get equal or better results from being lazy and letting them hang 4-5 weeks before harvesting. It will absolutely never dry out on you if your RH is around/above 50%. Last plant I cut had been hanging for 5 weeks, and after removing the buds from the stems they still needed time in the air to equalize the moisture that was on the inside. That said it's always 45%-58% here I would not recommend leaving it out below 40%

Only way to gauge your bud is now is by rolling a joint and smoking it and that's exactly what I recommend doing. If it's wet inside you'll feel it. You will learn everything you need to know by continuously smoking that shit instead of following a bunch of curing guides ;). Everyone also has their personal preference

It increased overnight! I will check this evening if the humidity has increased again

Gio88

If the humidity remains fixed at 58% do you think is useful to open the jars every day like i read in the guide?

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If the humidity remains fixed at 58% do you think is useful to open the jars every day like i read in the guide?

The only time you really want to open the jars is to release humidity. If you're reading consistent 58%, burp once a week.

Drewsif

You already know what curing is if you realize pre and post harvest activities are connected.

Look at how many chemmy trash hydro growers don't believe in flushing yet have to cure the "harshness" out..

Curing is what happens when a diabetics dentures start smelling like fruit cocktail and red hots after a few minutes in open air.

Americangrower

Veteran
If humidity is 58 to 60 thats right where you want to be. I'm assuming the buds aren't packed in the jar, you want them loosely in the jar. I myself burp jars once a day giving the buds a light shake in jar. I burp jars the entire cure right up to when I start smoking them.

Tipunch

Hi! Today I've started the curing phase of my harvest, I put the weed in the jars (after 5/6 days of drying) the only problem the hygrometer inside the jars says the humidity is 51% .... Too low to start the curing phase even if at the touch the weed doesn't seems too dry! Is it my harvest ruined? There something I can do?thanks

5 or 6 days of drying is way too little time for it to dry well. If your room is too hot, buds Will dry in a week and become too crispy. What works best for me is to cut the whole plant, hang it upside down in dark and dry room for 15 days, then I remove buds from branches and put them in open jars in a drawer made of wood for another week before I start closing jars. Dark and dry environment is what you need, that's why wood is a good pick. One year later, my buds still look and taste great:tiphat: so take your weed out of your jars, back to drying and as others stated once branches snap (not bend) then into open jars etc.