What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The little sprout that maybe could

JockBudman

Ok so I'm high fucking about with my soil mix I've made from coco, old soil, ewc and moorland gold organic compost and found this little fucker just chilling in the soil

picture.php

picture.php

Pretty crazy eh? I've seen the thread about using ewc to germ old seeds but I've never tried it - apparently it's worked.

I have no idea what strain this could even be by the way. No idea how a seed got in the mix.
Still, I've potted it up as the insides of the leaves are still a bit green so I'll keep this updated til it flowers out or dies.

picture.php

I made this soil last weekend so this sprout has been in about a week - it's amazing to me that it's survived. I think I might try chucking hard to germ seeds into my soil mix bags in future, seems like it's the way to go

:tiphat:

JockBudman

Right, in the last 24 hours I've dropped this thing 3 times, including bending the stem so hard it was just flopped over and dead looking. It gave no fucks

picture.php

Whatever this is it's determined to live

:dunno:

JockBudman

Well, it's still alive and growing.

picture.php

Hopefully it'll root out enough to be potted up in a few weeks before I go on holiday then I'll be flowering once I get back and we can see if I'm getting an extra female or need to commit murda on a man.

I've had a think as well and come up with a few candidates for where the seed came from. I've had a lot of seed kicking about lately as I'm doing a bit of breeding.

Wispy X Afghan Kush - wispy is a clone I held until recently that came from a pack of ace mix. Possible orient express cross. I binned it after the second run as the high was too weak for me but she still got hit with stray ak pollen. Possible but the least likely I think.

Mango X AK - again, Mango is another selection by me that came from a pack of mandala safari mix. My personal favourite at the moment, lovely tropical scent and flavour that has mango right at the front and a high that sends you spinning and giggling. Great for hiking, biking and getting shit done. This cross was intentional as I was interested in seeing if I could bring down the flower time without losing the good high.

Afghan hash plant X AK - the whole reason I made seed. I had two freebies of each, Barney's Afghan hash plant and world of seeds Afghan Kush. I ended up with two females and one wos ak male who is the stud in all these crosses. The idea with this cross was to teach myself to collect pollen and breed plus create my own Afghan gene pool I can find breeders and keepers from, as well as make some nice black hash. In future I'll be pollinating whenever I run this line to keep myself in seed and allow genes to mingle, slowly selecting the seed of the best mums over time.

I'm 50/50 on whether it's the mango cross or Ahp as I dropped seeds from both those plants whilst checking for ripeness. I dropped wispy ones as well but I don't remember doing so after I made the soil. I should be able to tell later on in veg and if not, once flowers start to form.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I pop 4 beans at a time and there seems I always get a runt/run :( I had an AC/DC that took 2 weeks before developing its 1st serrated leaves from germination. The others had already been fimmed for the 1st time..

JockBudman

I pop 4 beans at a time and there seems I always get a runt/run :( I had an AC/DC that took 2 weeks before developing its 1st serrated leaves from germination. The others had already been fimmed for the 1st time..

I've had that too. Usually they turn out to be decent plants but it's a lot of money and time to find that out.

It's why I'm buying and working mainly with regs now - only fems I use are freebies and I won't breed with them.
People always say the runts can be great smoke and it's true because I've saved some myself in the past but then most of us only do because fems are much more expensive and most only run one or two seeds of a variety at a time. With regs I can run a pack, breed my own f2s and easily find what a runt would have given but with better vigour.

I've only done these few crosses with very small plants and still have enough seeds just from the Afghan lines to run nothing but Afghan crosses for years.

I won't, 😄 but I could

JockBudman

You can kind of see the first true leaves coming through now, and so far they look very rounded.

picture.php

I know it's too early to draw any conclusions but whatever it is, it has a strong Affie influence. I'm hoping it's the full Afghan cross - my mango and wispy cuts are thin leafed and the mango in particular throws odd leaf mutations constantly. That'll be my big clue when there's more progress to show.

JockBudman

picture.php

Potted up and looking good. I'll be on holiday for a week soon so here's hoping she makes it through the week and I come back to a nice big vegging plant

JockBudman

Just gave it a quick water before it goes into the new flower space I've built. Chucked in a pinch of epsom salts and 0.5ml each of bionova veganics veg and bloom as it's losing colour in the lower leaves now.

Just another few weeks to discover if I got myself a girl or not. Fingers crossed.

JockBudman

Quick update - I'm having issues with nitrogen deficiency, despite using a hot soil, which makes sense as the ahp mother was very hungry all her life. I've fed her a bit more last night and discovered she is indeed a she.

I'll post some photos sometime this week but it looks like this thread will now run til harvest.

JockBudman

Some new photos. She's shown sex and is starting to form flowers at the top of the main cola. I've taken off the lowest two branches.

picture.php

picture.php

If I had to describe her in one word it would be finicky. She's yellowed really quickly and keeps drooping like this. Not happy with high temps or my (already fairly hot) soil. The hash plant mother did exactly the same so I'm not too surprised, I'll have to bear that in mind when I go for a full run of the seeds I've got.

JockBudman

Welp I think we can safely say this has got a bit buggered. The yellowing is stable now for the most part but it's still sad looking at how green she was just at the start of flowering.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

At least she's forming some flowers which is good. Won't be a huge yield but a few grams of bud will be nice to get an idea of what this cross can provide. In future I'll be selecting for the calyx to leaf ratio and yield of aghan hash plant with the lower nutrient needs of the wos AK.

That's what I need to keep reminding myself - this is one pheno from a cross where I have around 30 seeds :laughing: and it's an add on to my main grow so I really shouldn't be paying as much attention to it as I am.

I'm just going to feed the shit out of it from now til harvest and hopefully she won't be bald by the end.