What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any " one hit weed " back in the 1970's ?

W

Water-

We had some good, but also a lot of bad weed here. I never saw any brotherhood wrapped weed here though. Most bricked weed was inferior for sure, and seeded like crazy. Some brick was good though. The Colombians made an art of seed production to get the weight up. The Mexicans then made an art of super highly and tightly compressed bricks. In general though, the best Mexican and Colombian were the loose unbricked colas.

High Times ruined things on the west coast. We were buying cheap high quality weed here, then High Times posted weed prices in the US by region, and people started showing up with suitcases full of money from back east and prices quadrupled in the early 80s. HT was also a sucker for DEA ploys. They get zero respect from me.

from what I have read it seems the cia was heavily involved in a lot of those "sub culture" magazines like High Times, Surfer Magazine, Guns and Ammo etc.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I also meant to mention, it seems like a reoccurring theme with a lot of the vets in this thread. “I wish I would have saved all those old seeds” lol.

Gry

high times always felt like a tool to me. Can recall reading similar Water. A fondness of disytopian content... and anything ufo related.

Canna in SE asia blew away what I got here until columbian started showing up in the early 70s.
Used to see care packages from hawaii that were real special at christmas.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
From my point of view, weed is definitely Not Better than it ws in the70s.

They have made it so you can grow some pretty good weed under lights, but isn't in the same universe as the best of the older stuff.

If you want some old, real deal killer genetics, Swami Organic Seeds has them, but are USA only.

He has 2 of the oldest living clones.... Blue Orca, and.. The One, and are crossed with several other older strains.

He also has the Original 1988 Nevil NL5 x Haze.

The Blue Orca, and The One are a cross of 1971 Per Soviet Kandahar Afghani x 1976 highland Blue Thai.

He also has the Real Deal Mr Greengenes ( RIP ) 1979 IBL Cherry Bomb/Maui Wowie

Swami will also have the Real Deal 1985 Road Kill Skunk in the spring, that was Clone Only, and has been hybridized in Guadalajara for over 30 years.

Swami has some killer old genes.

Also hses people are original BOEL Members, or Associates.

Look up the Brotherhood of Eternal Love. Or.. The Hippy Mafia. These people were friends with Hendrix, Garcia, Leary, and many others and supplied them with weed, and other things.

They are also responsible for the Term Sunshine LSD... They Invented Sunshine LSD, and Manufactured LSD in the late 60s, and imported Hash from Kandahar, and weed from Thailand, and other places.

G `day AT

Do you think you could possibly take the shilling Swami Seeds to another level ?

I know its an ask but you are excelling so far .

How`s the pay ? Seeds , cash or just that warm feeling inside ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

St. Phatty

Mexican press brick mersh - with the seeds - has a lot of promise.

If you can collect mersh from 3 different sources, often one of them will be REAL Good Sativa. Skunky, resiny, vigorous, ready for someone to find the 1 in a 1000 Total Awesome genetics in the batch.

I wouldn't smoke mersh, but I would buy it for the Mexican Sativa seeds. Could come from any Central or South American country, it's kind of a crap-shoot.

World of Seeds has good native Sativa's, probably. Just from window-shopping.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
hold on a second.just because its sinsemillia doesnt mean its higher in thc.they said that back in the day because they weighed it with seeds and seeds without tested thc by weight or something like that.

Right. Seeds don't cut potency, they subtract from the amount of smokable material.

I notice that when I'm making seed that the calyxes and bud leaves sugar up nicely. I've not noticed any dif in potency for a hit

OregonBorn

from what I have read it seems the cia was heavily involved in a lot of those "sub culture" magazines like High Times, Surfer Magazine, Guns and Ammo etc.

The read I had was that the DEA came up with the idea for the Cannabis Cup and "suggested" it to some main stream players in Amsterdam that bought into it. Many now deny it or play it as never happening, but a central gathering of growers of top grade weed? Plays well into the DEA/CIA designs.

Last edited:

OregonBorn

Did it look like anything from the cob curing thread? People are supposed to be getting some really heady results with it.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=309172

No, but those are interesting buds. The best batch that I got were about a quarter inch in diameter and perfectly round. They looked like they were manicured. I sent some to my brother (my real brother) on Maui and NOBODY believed they were from the mainland. No one. They were the size of a fat pen and about 3 inches long. The tops were open and loose, like a typical sativa, and the sparkly sugar leaves were spiraled along the outer edges. They were bright lime green in color. It was simply amazing stuff. One hit and you were gone. There was only one batch of that stuff. There were a dozen or so bags of similar grade stuff that I bought that were lightly seeded, and otherwise fluffy sinsemilia tops through my local dealer for $50-60 an oz. It was all from highland central Mexico after the Paraquat spraying forced growers to stop growing in large fields in Michoacan, Oaxaca, and Guerrero. I have a few seeds left from them, but only a few. The seeds that I have grown from those bags are early blooming fluffy green top weed. Great sativa high, no couch or narco weed.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Did it look like anything from the cob curing thread? People are supposed to be getting some really heady results with it.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=309172

Tangwena here has extensive posting on the cob process. I'm curing several cobs now.

picture.php

I can say that the Panama Haze early sample from a fermented cob is fantastic. In both high and taste, it reminds me of a good 70's Columbian

I'm +- 60. Regular smoker from 1976 on. For me there is no doubt, thai stick remains the superior cannabis of my life.

Thanks in large part to the good folks here, I've had the chance to raise some Thai and Thai dominant plants. Its funny, the real deal thai flowers form such long thin racemes that their so called "bag appeal" was low. Its only when you see those long racemes that you understand the reason for thai sticks.
picture.php

OregonBorn

Used to see care packages from hawaii that were real special at christmas.

By far the best hashish I ever had was from a roommate that moved to Maui and came back to the mainland with an eight ounce of Kona Gold hash. Yeah, hash. Never had it before or since, but that was one great high. Velvety and smooth, and oh what a flavor and a feeling. Were I to have the recipe now for making that stuff and the seeds for whatever they grew to make it with. Kona Gold? Said to be originally a type of Colombian gold. I have smoked many other hashish souls out there, Lebanese red/blonde, Afghani, Nepalese fingers/temple balls, Moroccan, Mexican, Israeli, but they all pale. Lebanese red comes close. But no cigar. Circa 1977? Hard to recall exactly when, as we were absolutely stoned out of our gourdes then. I think I had my 1977 Suzuki GS 750 then, so '77 would be close.

OregonBorn

The 2 stroke? They were terrors

No. The 2-stroke was the water cooled GT 750. The GS 750 was the 4 stroke air cooled 4 banger that came out in '77. I bought the first one at my local dealer. It was a rubber band on 2 wheels. They are still making similar GS bikes today with a lot more features and re-designs. I has a GT 380 2-stroke before the GS 750 though. Zippy insane 2-stroke.

Gry

mexico produced kilos with amazing german like efficiency and consistency. It was not real hard to smoke well if one had regular access to it.
In the back of high times sam would tell you how make real nice hash out of it, or one could get an iso machine which would have the same end result.
God bless the apo and us postal service. They sure did deliver well.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well I just had 2 small hits which could have been done in one, and did not want anymore so I guess that counts. Colombian Gold 1972 by USC.

Gry

Was it similar to the original ? I would gladly run something 20 weeks plus to be able experience that again.

St. Phatty

I think for young teenagers who are trying pot for the first time, as long as it's not completely degraded, they can get a decent response to the first hit, if they wait 5 minutes.

But who waits 5 minutes ?

The way we smoked it, the only way we knew we had one hit-shit was when we fainted after 4 hits.

I remember listening to Tangerine Dream (Beatles) and smoking in my bedroom.

OregonBorn

Was it similar to the original ? I would gladly run something 20 weeks plus to be able experience that again.

They bloom late and take a forever to finish. I got a crop in of 'the original' 'lombo gold when I was in California. That was during one of the droughts, around '76 I think it was. Little rain that winter, but I did not know any better and I pulled it early before X-mas for some holiday smoke. It still kicked ass. I could never grow that here. It would rot by late October. Most years it would rot by then outside in California as well.

oldchuck

Veteran
One hit? Not a chance. Five or six maybe, seeds, stems and leaf pressed together. More social in those days. The one hit weed I've got around now knocks me on my ass.