What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

No till 20 gallon

qball520

Attachments

• 20160131_121016.jpg
    20160131_121016.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 27

KIS

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=347912&thumb=1
Here's my sunshine daydream from bodhi seeds! It's in a 20 gallon no till smart pot! Everything came from buildasoil! Except the peat moss, Turkey compost and lava rock!

Looks good. Is that the Diestel Compost? Good product.

Can I ask why no-till though? Growing an annual crop, wouldn't disturbance of the soil be beneficial in regards to allowing you to re-mix nutrients at a more homogenous rate and increase bacterial growth?

qball520

Looks good. Is that the Diestel Compost? Good product.

Can I ask why no-till though? Growing an annual crop, wouldn't disturbance of the soil be beneficial in regards to allowing you to re-mix nutrients at a more homogenous rate and increase bacterial growth?

It's just something I wanted to try! You know jumping on the bandwagon lol! But I'm loving it so far! I water with plain water every other watering then in between watering I use coconut water an aloe one day and then kelp an neem seed in a tea brew. An don't know on the compost if it's diestel or not picked it up from a local garden store!

VortexPower420

Veteran
If I may speak up on the benifits of no till.

When you don't disturb the soil much you leave the complex fungal network in place. It takes longer for them to grow the the bacterial colonies.

The plant has more control over the baC to fungal the anything you can really do. Yea you can change it with tilling and other methods but do you want to.

I like to present the plant with everything it could ever want with diverse mulches, compost, leaf litter, forest duff and anything else that could bring some other elemet of life. That way the plant can sort it out.

The bacteria, fungi, or whatever other life you can get in there will either thrive in the conditions presented or go dormant untill called upon.

Not saying tilling doesn't have a place or is not effective. Just my thoughts from what my understanding of the way soil works.

qball520

When you don't disturb the soil much you leave the complex fungal network in place. It takes longer for them to grow the the bacterial colonies.

The plant has more control over the baC to fungal the anything you can really do. Yea you can change it with tilling and other methods but do you want to.

I like to present the plant with everything it could ever want with diverse mulches, compost, leaf litter, forest duff and anything else that could bring some other elemet of life. That way the plant can sort it out.

The bacteria, fungi, or whatever other life you can get in there will either thrive in the conditions presented or go dormant untill called upon.

Not saying tilling doesn't have a place or is not effective. Just my thoughts from what my understanding of the way soil works.

This is my very first no till run so far it's great an it did take a very long time for everything to start working right for me! I think my compost was still to hot! But now after a few lost plants I think everything is stable! Some of the most beautiful and frosty flowers I've ever grown! Do you also grow in no till?

VortexPower420

Veteran
Oh yea 5 plus years and running. Can't say same pots but same soil and I like to let them be. I have only changed pots because of moves and such.

Treat your soil right and it will reward you with effortless flowers.

lotus710

aw hell yeah! another notiller! im tagging along fosho. thanks vortex so i didnt have to explain to him why the no tillXD its just the best thing . ya know. well IMO.

Much Love
Lotus

qball520

Oh yea 5 plus years and running. Can't say same pots but same soil and I like to let them be. I have only changed pots because of moves and such.

Treat your soil right and it will reward you with effortless flowers.

Oh Hell yeah I'll keep you updated or let you know if I have any problems!

qball520

aw hell yeah! another notiller! im tagging along fosho. thanks vortex so i didnt have to explain to him why the no tillXD its just the best thing . ya know. well IMO.

Much Love
Lotus

Ok cool I'll make sure I post pics a least twice a week! So far I'm loving it!

KIS

I know Coot always gets credit for starting this no-till concept but if you talk to him he will say it's not something he's ever done or promoted.

I believe no-till can work, you guys obviously have proven that. As far as replicating nature though, soil is constantly being tilled through erosion, animals and insects digging, natural disasters like floods and heavy rains, etc....this is not something that I believe can be replicated in a container. I think there's just not enough media there. Over time, I think you will see a buildup of some minerals over others and as the peat moss and compost break down they need to be replaced. Every time you harvest you remove nutrients and organic matter from the soil. I've found re-amending the soil thoroughly and more heavily allows me to get away from having to top dress or do any sort of "feeding" throughout the grow cycle. Then it's just a matter of getting the blumats hooked up and letting Nature do it's thing!

Not trying to be argumentative, just expressing another theory. I am all for re-using the soil. Myself and friends of mine have tested and been using soil over 5 years old and gotten comparable yields and growth using raised beds and blumats with little to no inputs besides water (amending the soil between grow cycles by double digging in compost, perlite, and soil amendments and waiting 24 hours before bringing in the next crop). I've found this to be a very effective way of growing.

Just wanted to express my logic behind why I think a light "till" as you would call it could be beneficial.

VortexPower420

Veteran
Qball and KIS- Hi, my name is ____ and I'm a asshole, I'm just on my beat behavior. You guys are not spouting hydrostore myth garbage, so you should be good.

You both seam to grip you concepts well.

KIS- you seem to know what works for you and all the will keeping the soil food Wed intact.

I personally am moving to a closed loop type system. Everything that gets taken out of a pot get put on top. The only thing removed is nuggets. I have been having great luck just applying some veggie scraps at transplant with a heavy mulch and I have not had a issue.

My soil is always being tilled by the macropods and worms so I guys no till is just not by me. As for the natural disasters, ok not everything in nature needs to be duplicated.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I know Coot always gets credit for starting this no-till concept but if you talk to him he will say it's not something he's ever done or promoted.

I believe no-till can work, you guys obviously have proven that.
As far as replicating nature though, soil is constantly being tilled through erosion, animals and insects digging, natural disasters like floods and heavy rains, etc....this is not something that I believe can be replicated in a container. I think there's just not enough media there. Over time, I think you will see a buildup of some minerals over others and as the peat moss and compost break down they need to be replaced. Every time you harvest you remove nutrients and organic matter from the soil. I've found re-amending the soil thoroughly and more heavily allows me to get away from having to top dress or do any sort of "feeding" throughout the grow cycle. Then it's just a matter of getting the blumats hooked up and letting Nature do it's thing!

Not trying to be argumentative, just expressing another theory. I am all for re-using the soil. Myself and friends of mine have tested and been using soil over 5 years old and gotten comparable yields and growth using raised beds and blumats with little to no inputs besides water (amending the soil between grow cycles by double digging in compost, perlite, and soil amendments and waiting 24 hours before bringing in the next crop). I've found this to be a very effective way of growing.

Just wanted to express my logic behind why I think a light "till" as you would call it could be beneficial.

Your theory is primitive. Recycling soil with amendment and tilling wasn't new when 3 little birds suggested more than a decade ago.

Having run plenty of the same cultivar in both recycle till and no till I most definitely have a preference.

I won't knock the methodology because it is A) sustainable (most important goal with organics imho B) gives you results you are happy with.

I know plenty of people who do not risk the element of no til in their money grows. I get it, but I also walk the walk, not talk the talk. That is I have more liabilities and less to gain by having integrity if everything boils down to money, yet I have not found it a reasonable excuse not to take it all the way.

The education is well worth the price of admission.

qball520

Qball and KIS- Hi, my name is ____ and I'm a asshole, I'm just on my beat behavior. You guys are not spouting hydrostore myth garbage, so you should be good.

You both seam to grip you concepts well.

KIS- you seem to know what works for you and all the will keeping the soil food Wed intact.

I personally am moving to a closed loop type system. Everything that gets taken out of a pot get put on top. The only thing removed is nuggets. I have been having great luck just applying some veggie scraps at transplant with a heavy mulch and I have not had a issue.

My soil is always being tilled by the macropods and worms so I guys no till is just not by me. As for the natural disasters, ok not everything in nature needs to be duplicated.

I hate all the hyrdostore bs too! This is why I started doing No till and hands down its some of the best buds I've ever had so far! Just can't wait to try it! But if you don't mine me asking what kinda veggie scraps you use when you transplant and how long do you wait before you add another plant after you harvest?

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i like to close the loop myself. when you don;t return by mulching, your container will become less viable same w/ over-doing top-dressing. then it goes back in the ROLS bin {a garbage can or 2}