What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butane honey oil for dummies

Keefhead

In my case the rubber cork at the top blew out, and so did most of the material. I'd bet I had a blockage almost at the bottom. Well, I learned. Next time, we pack a little looser if its wet.

And soon, very soon, I will run about 25-50 grams of mediocre bubble hash through it, just to see what I get. Hmmm, it may be good stuff. After all, no plant matter. This ought to be fun......

G

I always end up throwing my non bubble bubble into my bho runs....I usually put the hash in first(closest to filter)

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
I never used wet material but the couple people i've heard of that did had massive blowouts. The problem with wet material is it already has moisture. Butane is a liquid under pressure (in the can) when you release the liquid it turns to a gas (drop in temp) then evaporation causes it to get colder which is where you see the ice formation. So i would suspect blowing butane into alot of moisture (fresh trim) is going to cause ALOT of ice which could cause blockages.

I couldn't imagine eye fulls of resin......damn that stuff stings

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
makes sense, when water is frozen it expands, lol. so basically it seems using fresh material is a no no for bho runs?

so we have :

1- flammable, ie do it outside. preferably not in view of the neighbors. or near anyone smoking on the next balcony. also no electrics down wind of you, same with pilot lights etc. be sure to inform anyone at home not to come out to pass you a splif, lol.

2- protect your eyes, if in any doubt about the dryness or compactness of your loaded tube, lol.

3- don't use fresh material, as the water inside will freeze and expand causing it to blow in your face if your not careful. maybe this should have been no. 2 hehe.

buhahaha glad to hear about these little things. so not just fire eh? it really should be added to the instructions.

GrassMan

Veteran
Hi,

...or you can also use a setup similar to this one (this is an old picture from my firsts extractions) in wich you don't have to be front of it during the process.

Peace.

tainted

for future ref...use cold water for eye flushes..warm water opens the tear duct allowing the shit youre trying to wash out infect the eye directly..in this case pet based solvents...

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Just recently did another trim run....

Just recently did another trim run....

...with better results :D This time I popped the bubbles with the blade while it was purging...couldn't center the goo 'cause of the low volume...but when trying I discovered I was popping bubbles...and had a nice test hit on the CLEAN blade :sasmokin: I also did as Keefhead and others....letting it (the oil in the pyrex) sit overnite on a heating pad (low setting)...it scrapes much much easier....

In a few days I am doing a full tube of frosty (real frosty :D ) buds....wanna see the difference in color....if any

peace

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Rock cabdy anyone?

Rock cabdy anyone?

I did a batch yesterday of a little less than an ounce of Purple skunk punch (mendo purps x HK x SK#1) whole buds. Hey i only snapped 2 razors this time, even with the oil slightly heated (sitting on the pad) for scraping it was very hard. Razor popped me just below the eye and slung shards of oil everywhere........safety glasses were sitting on my bench about 2 feet away so yes i'm a dumb ass and foaf's bag method looks even more appealing now.

And had to throw in something fun

<edit> Vt slipped a post in here while i was typing.......that looks scrumptious, bet you'll get tore slap up with that.

Last edited:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
^^^Lol dude you're a pro...that looks dank! You ran some dank bud through it too

How much do you break up the buds? A little? Grind them and toss in the kief?....I'll be doing some c99 in a few days....if it comes close to that I'll be very very happy....lol...man this BHO is the way to medicate....love it :wave:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Thanks man, actually i just slide the whole buds in as is. If it's really rock hard buds i do break them up, but this Skunk punch was quite airy. keep in mind not just whole buds give you this type of oil, i've made similiar even with ground buds. The key is simply good starting material and a good purge. :woohoo:

Last edited:

lemonade

Veteran
"Razor popped me just below the eye and slung shards of oil everywhere."

Heh the same thing happened to me on my last run. Broke 2 blades too.

Guess thats what happpens when you spend 1.99 on 20 razor blades at the dollar store though. :yoinks:

Nice pics BTW!

Keefhead

I doubt this is new to y'all, but when its about time to pop the bubbles I scrape the "goo" away from the curved edges and onto the flat surface. It's real easy - no broken blades. When the heating pad purges it, it's a lot easier to scrape up - at least, that's what I did. LOL, and I'm still using the same razor blade.

I am sooo very tempted to pluck off some smaller buds from my grow and BHO them. Somebody slap my hand.

And keep those pics coming. They're great.

lemonade

Veteran
Yea mine aren't breaking because the oil is too viscous or hard, but because they're so cheap and brittle that they break the instant you try to work the corners of the dish.:frown: The old ones i used to buy would almost never break.

It's also harder to get at the corners in a square dish (which im using ATM) as opposed to a circular dish IMO, which is what im used to using, so that could be a factor as well. :chin:

G

So I got my BHO from O'kief and tried my first batch.

I had about a quarter of really old popcorn buds and leaves of some golden skush and haze..that was my first mistake, I should have used more and packet it tighter.

I used a can of Vector I happened to have (did not like the fact it read Korea on the side, just because of purity etc. but on the instructions from O'kief it was listed as OK)

When the butane came through it had a golden color, but halfway through the can became transparent. Another mistake, I guess I could have added more bud at this point since it seems I wasted some butane at the end when all the trichs were already gone.

I purged in hot water, small bubbles appeared, not big ones, probably due to the low volume of oil.

I did not leave it 24 hours on a hot pad, I couldn't wait - Had to try it...

1 hour later on the hot pad and I scraped it up. Was a little gooey and never got rock hard, but was impressively close in taste to the original bud and was very stoney and long lasting high. Was a little rough on the lungs, but I bet an overnight purge would be ideal. Is it OK to smoke with only a light purging? What is the difference?

Thanks for introducing me to this new toy. This thread rocks, I hope trolls stop coming by.....

:joint:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Looks nice, <slaps keefheads hand>, actually i usually don't leave mine on the pad overnight and in fact i just put it on there for an hour. This last batch however i did leave it on the pad overnight because i was tired and didn't want to fool with it yesterday and it was just as hard as if i left it on for an hour....go figure. Vector is good stuff btw, i use that or king.

C

Chamba

you butane solvent guys must have the highest tolerances...you could probably smoke down a big 2 joint by yourself and hardly feel the effect.....I'd probably be shitfaced all day on half as much!

"Razor popped me just below the eye and slung shards of oil everywhere."

Heh the same thing happened to me on my last run. Broke 2 blades too.

one blade is called an accident..two blades is wondering why the Darwin Awards rang to ask if they could set up a cam above your petroleum extraction area...lol

I see hundreds of fifteen year old Bevis and Butthead lookalikes with several razor blades stuck in their face....

for now on these scars shall be known by all in the know as "Bee-Ho-Scars"

.....while snapping a razor blade (or two?) and having it stick in your eye must be a concern, I'd be more concerned about long term effects of inhaling hash made from petroleum extracts.....

and bubbleman is outta line here for suggesting there are safer and healthier ways to concentrate hash instead of petroleum based solvent extraction methods?..lol..that's a good one! lol

that is ....until..one day a Beavis and Butthead lookalike is standing in a a puddle of water, stoned off his head drilling a bucket of water, ice and bud...the mixer and the hand holding it accidently dip into the water ..... ddzzzzzzzzzzddddddddddzzzzzzzzzz ....lights out!