What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

True/False hollow stems are better because they increase resin production

N

NZjay

er... hollow stems = grown in Hydro. solid stems = grown outside.

...from my experiance that is.... *shrug*

ive never had an indoor plant not be hollow.

Last edited:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
I've got keepers with hollow stems and keepers with not so hollow stems... I can see no correlation to resin production (i.e. the hollower the more resinous) in my garden...

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I've have read that hollow stems are a product of not enough calcium during veg.. anyone buying that? Personally, I have 6 plants going, all with jacks+CN @ 610PPMs. the biggest (2) have hollow stems, blue gorilla bubble and death stomper: 3 have solid stems all Gorilla Bubble and the sixth is a WW that has a solid stalk but small and in the shadow of the others... The best weed I've ever grown had hollow stems, yield, potency, 60 days, taste was only very nice. I'll try and return here (if I can remember) and report in a few weeks. I also believe that it is strain dependent..

Weedwell

Im under the impression it has to do with humidity, and amount of available water. Good Vpd and a lot of available water. Excess water and high humidity causes more capillary action, increasing water content in the stem. Which decreases the available space and need for more capillaries(?) or meat to form. Kinda like cholesterol and someone who is over weight. Healthy body equals huge high flow veins, unhealthy low flow many smaller veins....soooo I think hollow is good? Probably just genetics? I have no references just experiences.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
The less movement of the stem the less strength it needs to develop or gains through micro damage repair. Outdoor or gardens with air movement will have not only thicker but more solid stems than those grown in near static airflow environments.
Differences beyond that will all be gene dependent.
But its like the shoes you wear, doesn't impact the smoke.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Surely most of the above suggestions do or can effect the hollowness of a stem.

Although in my opinion a large part of it is purely genetic. Grow a large variety of cultivars; seed or clone stock in the exact same environment with the same medium and nutrients and you will see a large variety of stem hollowness.

I have (blackberry kush x blue dream)f1 seed stock. Didn't grow any this last season because of the randomness of the size of the stems. About 25% of the plants get thin viney stems, and turn out fantastic. The other 75% have thick to hugely thick stems which promote bad airflow in the colas leading to chance of bud rot.

Generalizing, wide leaf varieties tend to have the larger stems. While narrow leaf are thin and vine like. Then generalizing more, wide leaf tends to be very resinous, an example deep chunk, or sour bubble. So I can see where this train of thought as far as resin production and stem size comes from. Would be interesting to see an older breeders opinion, like the Skunkmans. Typically we all see hybrids, both resinous and with a manageable stem, so need someone that has worked with some more landrace/ibl strains, both wide and narrow leaf.

Growing decent size seed populations of true wide leaf/thin leaf hybrids you really see the extremity of it, as well as all sort of weird mutant traits pop up to. Branches that grow like a spiral staircase, flowers with mohawks of red hairs, stems that are rectangle, albino leaves to name a few.

Mr^^

Last edited:

BruceBanner

No way that's a Calcium deficiency, my QM has hollow stems and she has plenty of eggshells in the pot, maybe too much :D

I first taught that's a male, but she was or choose to be a female, that's why I chopped that branch to make room for other plants, but okay, it's going to be full anyway... :)

mbin91.jpg

DjKinetics

iv had this on a outdoor plant before didn't seem to have any deficiency. Wouldn't a hollow stem also allow better flow of nutrients and water etc?
Forgive me if im way off im no botanist

jets1925

Alien blue dot always hahollow for me.

Alien blue dot always hahollow for me.

In side outside, organic, hydro. It's always there.

jets1925

It's possible it's a deffiency

It's possible it's a deffiency

But I refuse to beleive I haven't grown it well at least once all this time.

MTNMEN

I have a quick question.............When my uncle would harvest his plants he had them in brown paper bags...............i noticed the stems where they'd been cut from the main plant had a dried white milky substance where it'd been clipped from the plant, Do some strains exude these fluids more than others or?

skwirl

boron I've been told many times by smart bastards'

I see more hollow stems on really fast growing plants ie hydro, rockwool etc OR dialed soil grows... A friend who lives right next to beach in Santa Cruz who always has insanely EXPLOSIVE growth in hugos indoors always has hollow stems. Plants look ridiculously lush though but I have noticed he doesn't get really big buds.

I'm at 6800 ft and in a dry clime. My plants don't grow nearly as fast as his....But all my stems are solid..from moms to finished'. My colas on average are much bigger in the same hugos.

I have a boron suplement and I add maybe a pinch to my 70 gallon resi'. Maybe 30 ppm max

Personally I think it's a minute deficiency and something you have to play with to eliminate the hollow stems

Ask 'Milky Joe. I'm sure he'll have a more defined explanation

Or any of the main guys over on MidnightSun Forum (Joe is one of the original members)...they're mostly into making their own raw sauce

Last edited:

gmanwho

Veteran
^^ boron is needed to properly use calcium. they are needed together. an just because some may have eggshells in the soil it may not be ready to be absorbed properly

learning again that calcium is very very important. but the boron is needed to.

B

bionicchronic

I've have read that hollow stems are a product of not enough calcium during veg.. anyone buying that? Personally, I have 6 plants going, all with jacks+CN @ 610PPMs. the biggest (2) have hollow stems, blue gorilla bubble and death stomper: 3 have solid stems all Gorilla Bubble and the sixth is a WW that has a solid stalk but small and in the shadow of the others... The best weed I've ever grown had hollow stems, yield, potency, 60 days, taste was only very nice. I'll try and return here (if I can remember) and report in a few weeks. I also believe that it is strain dependent..
blue gorrilla bubble? whats the cross? blue dream?
and what breeder. im growing out gorilla bubble right now by tony green:biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts