What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need Guidance with Grow Setup

greenfox

Hey all here's the TLDR:
I want to grow but I'm the type of person who gets overwhelmed with all the information out there which in turn ends up debilitating me to the point where I end up doing nothing. I'm at the point now that I'm ready to buy but haven't settled on any particular setup. I'm after soil, led, and growing in garage / indoors.

Let's talk about what I'm after:
SIMPLICITY IS KEY
- I'm a medical patient from the west coast and would like to provide for myself.
- Stealth is key so I'd like to grow in my garage (I was thinking a 4x4x7 ft tent but what do I know?!) / indoor (if indoors, would really be limited in space so maybe a 2x2x5 ft?)
- Soil, organic preferred. I'm really interested in the whole "living soil / teaming with microbes / just add water" sort of thing, but I understand I may have to wait until I have more experience.
- LED screw in lighting. I like the idea of low heat (less fire risk yadda yadda) and the simplicity of replacing burnt bulbs.
- Main-lining could be my technique, but I understand that I'll have to do some sort of canopy management.

End Goal would be harvesting as often as I can so I've also considered having multiple enclosures for seedlings / veg / flower.

I know I may be asking a lot, but I'd really like to get some guidance on what exactly I should be picking up.
Thank you so much for the help! :tiphat:

thejact55

It it simple to grow healthy plants.
First- tent: how many lights you planning on running? How much do you want to yeild? Then based on these answers you can choose a tent. I run three 3x3x7 tents. 2x2 isnt much, a plant or two, and height issues will occur.
Soil- you can make your own, and its alot of fun. But id get a grow under my belt first, make sure your gonna stick with it. Foxfarm works, maybe just dilute it down a little for seedlings.
Lights: are you meaning lights specifically for growing or just stanfard lights? Mars and viparspectra have reasonable pricing, and good quality for the price...but they still arent super cheap.
Mainlining is fine. I do it on seed runs. You can cram 12 one gallon pots in a 3x3 or 9 comfortably. Some strains work better than others. I recommend toying around with options, see what method suites you best.

Get a tent, get some decent soil, some pots, a light, a fan, nutrients of you choice (dont feed them when young, and less is more!!), then some seeds or clones. Try it out, build more supplies as needed later.

Ic has a endless amount of organic grow info, some of the best on the web imo. Read read read everything you need to know is on this site. You sound like you have a basic idea for what you want already. There is no better fealling then producing your own cannabis if your crop comes out being something you like using in the end so find genetics you like. Less is more most of the time. Feed your soil not your plants the best organic farmers also "grow" compost and worms most of the time. Good luck my friend and may the grow force be with you

greenfox

Ic has a endless amount of organic grow info, some of the best on the web imo. Read read read everything you need to know is on this site. You sound like you have a basic idea for what you want already. There is no better fealling then producing your own cannabis if your crop comes out being something you like using in the end so find genetics you like. Less is more most of the time. Feed your soil not your plants the best organic farmers also "grow" compost and worms most of the time. Good luck my friend and may the grow force be with you

Thank you for the encouragement!

Yeah I'm just getting started with gardening and didn't know if I wanted to tackle the whole organic process or get a harvest under my belt first.
Buildasoil looks interesting so I'll read into that.

One thing to note, is maybe it's just my character, but the amount of info is very overwhelming.. I've read, read, read, it's the decision making that gets me :(.

greenfox

It it simple to grow healthy plants.
First- tent: how many lights you planning on running? How much do you want to yeild? Then based on these answers you can choose a tent. I run three 3x3x7 tents. 2x2 isnt much, a plant or two, and height issues will occur.
Soil- you can make your own, and its alot of fun. But id get a grow under my belt first, make sure your gonna stick with it. Foxfarm works, maybe just dilute it down a little for seedlings.
Lights: are you meaning lights specifically for growing or just stanfard lights? Mars and viparspectra have reasonable pricing, and good quality for the price...but they still arent super cheap.
Mainlining is fine. I do it on seed runs. You can cram 12 one gallon pots in a 3x3 or 9 comfortably. Some strains work better than others. I recommend toying around with options, see what method suites you best.

Get a tent, get some decent soil, some pots, a light, a fan, nutrients of you choice (dont feed them when young, and less is more!!), then some seeds or clones. Try it out, build more supplies as needed later.

Thank you for the reply.

What tent brand are you running and have you noticed any issues with them?
Also, what made you go with 3x3x7 vs 4x4x7?

justanotherbozo

Veteran
yeah, if you are totally new at this and suffering a bit from information overload then maybe your instincts are on the money in that getting a harvest or 2 under your belt before tackling organic soil growing might be a good idea.

...organic soil growing can be a very easy method if you know about the lifeweb within the soil and you know how to maintain that lifeweb but if you don't then organic soil growing can be very difficult and frustrating, i found it so anyway.

...if you are looking for a proven, simple to run system that is almost guaranteed to give you a decent crop your first try then i recommend coco hempy buckets fed KISS style and there are MANY grows here on the Mag for you to see how this can be done.

...in my own case as an example i run 8 plants per cycle potted into 2gallon hempys in a 4x4 Secret Jardin DR120 with 2 plants on each side of the tent surrounding a 600HPS, barebulb vertical style and using Marlo's W.O.W. vertical SCROG technique (he has a thread here inhouse that is well worth the read, just search for 'Marlo' or W.O.W. although searching for Marlo would be better as he is a gifted grower and a very clever DIYer who has authored several great threads)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

anyway, with this setup i pull between 12 and 16 zipz per cycle with zero drama and very little labor, i'm a lazy phuck by nature so simple is as simple does, for me at least, lol.

peace, bozo

btw, my Secret Jardin is 7+ years old and still going strong.

greenfox

yeah, if you are totally new at this and suffering a bit from information overload then maybe your instincts are on the money in that getting a harvest or 2 under your belt before tackling organic soil growing might be a good idea.

...organic soil growing can be a very easy method if you know about the lifeweb within the soil and you know how to maintain that lifeweb but if you don't then organic soil growing can be very difficult and frustrating, i found it so anyway.

...if you are looking for a proven, simple to run system that is almost guaranteed to give you a decent crop your first try then i recommend coco hempy buckets fed KISS style and there are MANY grows here on the Mag for you to see how this can be done.

...in my own case as an example i run 8 plants per cycle potted into 2gallon hempys in a 4x4 Secret Jardin DR120 with 2 plants on each side of the tent surrounding a 600HPS, barebulb vertical style and using Marlo's W.O.W. vertical SCROG technique (he has a thread here inhouse that is well worth the read, just search for 'Marlo' or W.O.W. although searching for Marlo would be better as he is a gifted grower and a very clever DIYer who has authored several great threads)

View Image

View Image

View Image

anyway, with this setup i pull between 12 and 16 zipz per cycle with zero drama and very little labor, i'm a lazy phuck by nature so simple is as simple does, for me at least, lol.

peace, bozo

btw, my Secret Jardin is 7+ years old and still going strong.

Thanks for the info!

Is your DR in your house or garage? How Is it noisy with everything going? What did you pay for the DR if you don't mind me asking?