What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Floppy plant question

minty33

Hey fellow farmers hope someone can help me out me out. I am moving into week 6 and without getting into why this grow is ghetto ATM I'll just say I have a cpl soil plants outside my tent under a 600watt hpd but I have my rdwc in the tent still and used a 600watt bad boy t5ho. The problem is my hydro plants are ridiculously developed and flopping over and way over grown for my tent. Because it is rdwc I cannot take out to stake or you these. Also my soil setup is in the way of good access to tent. I have decent air circulation but it is a floppy jungle of huge sticky blue dream buds all laying on each other. I opened up for air best I could but they have to stay horizontal and overlapped. What kind of issue can I expect. Is this I disaster to the point I should chop off branches with big buds to bho ri. Em at 6weeks to not ruin or mold the while crop or do you guys think I should leave it be and ride out the 3 weeks and maybe pull at 8 instead of 9 I usually would? As I said you and stakes not an option sadly for this run. Any advice welcome. I attached pics they are the best I could get given the space situation but you can see the size of the horrifically buds but I am worried about the collapsed mess the one plant is creating

Attachments

• IMG_20171106_071633555.jpg
    IMG_20171106_071633555.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20171106_071619083.jpg
    IMG_20171106_071619083.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20171106_071603520.jpg
    IMG_20171106_071603520.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20171106_071612362.jpg
    IMG_20171106_071612362.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20171106_071739877.jpg
    IMG_20171106_071739877.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 14

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
plenty of people tie them up or stake them when this happens

if the plant have no pests disease or dysfunction let them go longer

minty33

I know ppl stake em and so would I normally but I ran a second grow too close and I used a light that won't allow for yoyos. I cannot stake or support. I need to let em go or cut some early. But you think I can go without risking bud rot from overlapping sticky colas?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
if you wanted to you could tie a line diagonally from corner to corner low enough that you could prop the ones really smothering each other. they don't have to be perfectly spaced for there to be air flow.

I don't want to be on the hook for suggesting they touch because I can't predict rot in your environment.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't cut all at once....try the method Weird mentioned. This close to harvest, a light fan breeze may help. Looks awesome- congrats! You'll know what to do the next grow! ;o)

MCGold

OP next time think about building a scrog net/cage for your next grow. pvc works pretty well and is cheap. you thread the branches through the square openings and weave those branches which will add stability during flowering when the plant packs on weight that the branches cannot handle. Another method to help strengthen the branches is to "bruise* the branches near with each new growth node. Brusing the plant like that will create a knot which allows the plant to drink more water and take in more nutes and in your case will add added strength to each branch to hold the branch upright when it starts packing on weight.

capnCõno

Cmon man, pick that shit up some how.... It looks like ya got lazy n fuct the grow off.. Mold could be a concern but if be more worried bout all the time wasted for a terrible harvest... So many things wrong with how that looks... First its a floro so minimum penetration... Ya need to get them tops up off each other n open the plant up and Ya need to defoilate hard , or most of it will be larfy fluff... There's 1000s of ways to rig sumthin in a tent to make it work... Rig a # using the tent frame n zipties with clothesline, bamboo, pipe, wire , really anything could work for now n next run consider a trellis..

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
The local hardware store has mini bungee cords ten inches long. Sometime a plant will not hold its branches and needs support.
At the moment there is a Black Russian, or rather, four Black Russians in a single container that will not stand on its own. Seventeen bungee cords are laced through the branches. I use SS car antennas to provide support for the bungees. I got a deal on seventy five antennas when car radios went digital.

It seems about one in seven plants comes out floppy, I suspect root development problems. This Black Russian is the fourth container in a sequence of clones and is the only floppy, those with fewer plants in the container are fine.

Water pressure in the stem creates stiffness, many autopsies on harvested plants shows poor roots on a majority of problem plants. Usually it is straightforward problem with root volume versus leaf volume. Sometimes it is more obscure, cool leaves and warm roots work against water flow.
There have been cases (maybe 3%) where the plant languishes under a foot tall after two months, rootballs in these cases average six inches diameter in an eighteen inch diameter container.
The roots should reach the edges within a month.

The mini bungee cords are the simplest for me to use, arthritis makes wire ties or knots difficult.

Attachments

• Bungee cords and car antenna to hold up branches.jpg
    Bungee cords and car antenna to hold up branches.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 16
M

moose eater

I'd find the cheapest source for decent bamboo stakes, and cut them to the ideal height, so you can lift the upper colas up the highest without necessarily making them completely erect.

Then tie up the next highest colas into a slightly lower canopy. And so forth.

Thus layering between canopies... yes, now -plural- canopies, as otherwise, it'll be the dense singular canopy you're contending with.

I like the softer, longer, 6" or longer, wire plant ties, but I buy them in red rather than green or clear, as separating the green from the greenery is an exercise in frustration when cutting with a headlamp with green filter in an otherwise dark box/tent.

Yes, I know you said access is a problem. but if you don't separate them in some way, and keep a steady source of air blowing through the plants, leaving them too dense, and you're running adequate humidity, you're apt to incite mold growth of one sort or another.

Steady air, and room for it to move, (preferably from bottom to top, but what ever) even if you have to harvest a few colas early to save the rest for later proper maturation...

And yes, I've let my eyes get bigger than my area a time or two as well. :biggrin: Humbleness brought by greed or lack of foresight. :biggrin: