What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Odour/Ventillation (Carbon Filter)

I have a 4x8 tent and odour control will be really important. As far as a carbon scrubber goes, does a larger filter mean more odour filteration? I am looking to buy a Phresh 12", MountainAir 12" or Can Max 2500CFM Filter. Would this be adequate? I used a chinese air filter before and it did not work well.

Thanks! :)

Speed of green

thats complete overkill.

for standard overkill you should be looking in the 750cfm range with a comparable 750 cfm 8" fan.

mountain air is a good brand, just make sure you duct everything properly, zero smell issues.

to arrive at this number you find the volume of your tent so 4x8x7= 224cuft

if you are not using air conditioning then rule of thumb is 2x air exchange per minute so 448 cfm, plus resistance from lights or additional ducting & the carbon filter itself. the 750cfm will leave you happy, you can get a fan speed controller if you dont want it running full blast the whole time.

good luck!

Hello Speed of green :)

Overkill is not bad is it, if I have a big scrubber, but run the inline on it closer to their minimum cfm rating?

No A/c. It will be a passive intake.

The only reason I am hesitant is because that other filter was the same size as those I mentioned (except it was an off-brand), and the last two weeks of flower, when I would open the door to my home, it was like getting punched in the face by Floyd Mayweather multiple times.

So I should be safe if I choose a better brand yes, then I don't need to go so much over kill?

Vanilla, are you using a passive intake?

I saw the Can-Lite to, but read some people saying it was not quite as effective as the original can? Although it seems to be working fine with your build.

Although there is no smell outside of your tent, how bad is odour from the exhaust? Or is that basically gone when it goes through the scrubber as well?

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
overkill can be bad, no doubt about it.

- If you exchange more air than needed, your plants will live on a wind-tunnel, RH/VPD will be out of range and impossible to control. As has been pointed out two air exchanges per minute should be your goal as max.

- Scrubber has to be properly sized and matched for the selected fan, so that air is pulled through at the pressure ("load") the filter was designed to work at.

Last edited:

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
The way I have mine set up is I only have one exhaust fan, the 8" Vortex (747 cfm). The air is sucked thru the 2 air cooled reflectors. I actually blow into my scrubber instead of sucking thru it. Ideally you want to suck thru it but they work either way.

So...passive intake thru bottom--->air cooled reflectors--->Fan--->Can Lite--->out

Or you can go....passive intake thru bottom--->Can Lite--->Fan--->air cooled reflector--->out

I suppose to be on the safe side, you could get the original Can Filter to be safe. To be honset, I have 8 plants in my flower tent all one week apart in age. So I never have a tent where all of the plants are at the end where they really smell. I do this so I only have to harvest a plant a week. I couldnt imagine trimming even half the tent at one time. Most do it but I would hate trimming 2lbs by myself at one time. :no:

I have~1600W Led. So Filter ---> Inline ---> Duct out.

Speed of Green was right on point then! (I appreciate the calculations by the way!)

So then I will look at around 8" range Can Filter. Great!

Repuk oh okay. That is a good point, on the climate control, humidity.

And I was seeing new Can Max Pro fan, that has different technology. (It works sort of like a dyson vacuum vs traditional centrifugal type) Supposed to be much more quiet and efficient. Have you guys heard of this one?

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
If you refer to Can-Fan Qmax, yes:

The most suitable (oversized) one would be the CAN Q-MAX AC FAN 200MM 8" 3 SPEEDS 686/943/1120 M3/HR

Each speed will be 403CFM, 555CFM and 660CFM, so probably 1st or second speed will be perfect for your scenario, taking into account it should produce more pressure than a standard one.

Bear in mind the size though, its shape resembles more a scrubber than a inline fan: a cylinder measuring 26" long and 8" diameter:

vog_8385_qmax6_8_1.jpg

AFAIK Can products are comparable if not better than RVK/Sileo, never tried one of these but RVK/Sileo = top notch inlines.

Speed of green

Depending on the location of the tent I would go with whatever fan is the quietest. If it's in the basement save yourself some cash and get a cheap one, if you have to sleep next to it you will be happy you spent the extra dough on a quiet one.

Speed of green, now I'm not sleeping by it, but I'd prefer quiet so I'll go that route. Used to sleep by it and had a noisy one... after a few days it became normal noise lol, then when I slept without it something felt strange haha.

Repuk thanks, it definitely looks much better than the typical centrifugal one.

I thought I'd just add to this thread as it's same topic. I am still worried that I might have smell. Would you advice that I get like 12" fan and filter for outside my tent, for the big room the tent is in? Or maybe Vapourtek unit?

Or I should be okay? (It is good size like 2KW aeroponic) So I am little worry.

Speed of green

you will be fine, as long as you aim for 2x air exchange and the scrubber is new then you arent going to have any smell issues, you can point the exhaust straight at a cop and he wouldnt be able to tell.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
I second Speed of Green.

If I were to invest on additional/failsafe means for extra peace of mind, I'd go for an Ozone generator suitable for the main room.

It will provided the added benefit of sanitizing air killing germs, fungus, bacteria and enhancing overall air quality, and will take care of any odours in the event of any leak.

Speed , haha thank you. You're a great help! And make me much more assured! :)

Repuk , I want to stay away from Ozone. I read you're not supposed to put in the same room as your plant. And it is not good for kids or pets to breathe I think, so I want to stay away from that. Alternative I learned was Vapourtek, and hospitals and morgue's use them so it must work good.

But maybe I will save my money and see if it is okay with just one filter. Then that's very great!

Latest posts

Latest posts