What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California to tax pot as much as 45%

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The state of California is the 5th largest economy on the planet, but our Debt is out of control, and major part of our water infrastructure are failing. Plus cost of living is so high that in the coastal towns you’re either wealthy or poor. Middle class is almost nonexistent. In San Francisco, your either wealthy or homeless. There isn’t even a poor class. If you don’t make over a 100k a year in sf you’re fucked.

vta

Veteran
I live in this once great state. Taxes, taxes and more taxes. Couple days ago our new gas tax kicked in. I paid $3.89 per gallon today. And next year...I'll still avoid the same pot holes I do today that the tax is supposed to fix. It's just going to get worse. One side runs the game here and they are fucking everything up. Moonbeam and Co just made California a Sanctuary State...we already spend $25 billion a year on services for illegals...that's right...$25 BILLION A YEAR ! How much more is this policy gonna add?? We have fucking morons running the show who only serve special interests and not the taxpayers.

The people in charge here {gasp I say dems} try to squeeze every last penny they can out of every transaction they can.

The taxes on rec weed are going to be beyond ridicules. The black market will thrive. Period.

St. Phatty

I going to have to work on my Jedi mind tricks

"These aren't the Buds you're looking for."

maxresdefault.jpg

It could be worse.

California could require ISO-9001 certification on their pot.

soil margin

Veteran
State regulators see we have a thriving cannabis economy in CA so they had to find a tax rate high enough to destroy it. Good work guys!

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I live in this once great state. Taxes, taxes and more taxes. Couple days ago our new gas tax kicked in. I paid $3.89 per gallon today. And next year...I'll still avoid the same pot holes I do today that the tax is supposed to fix. It's just going to get worse. One side runs the game here and they are fucking everything up. Moonbeam and Co just made California a Sanctuary State...we already spend $25 billion a year on services for illegals...that's right...$25 BILLION A YEAR ! How much more is this policy gonna add?? We have fucking morons running the show who only serve special interests and not the taxpayers.

The people in charge here {gasp I say dems} try to squeeze every last penny they can out of every transaction they can.

The taxes on rec weed are going to be beyond ridicules. The black market will thrive. Period.

God forbid they ever get Universal Healthcare passed in California. Be thankful its dead this year, but they'll try again in the future. It'll only cost you guys a cool 200-400 Billion. Im sure they can think of some more taxes, that wont even amount to a drop in the bucket, but hey..if you're in denial about debt and spending, whats it matter???

konopenko

Veteran
Im not surprised at all comrades, zio capitalistic kabal see ganja industry as big milk cow.
In my diploma work at our faculty, I predicted that tax on ganja should not rise over 40%, cuz of tax evasion etc. but..what can we do (I would be glad to pay 20-30% of my grower income to grow freely)
Black market is there to stay, cuz there would be no work for pigs, DEA..
+ prices would drop like stone in totaly free legalised market (A.Smith style)
+ goverment is already collecting their taxes in ruining people lives, racketeering orginized crime and anybody they can (what is - for you could be + for someone else)

Im positive that T. Jefferson & Washington are turning like kebab in their graves.
40.000.000 people on food stamps, 800.000.000.000 $ on 2. class army and not enough numbers to show foregin dept.
Such fun!

Barn Owl

They pretty much doubled it all in Nevada when it went legal. None of the dispensaries give you any kind of discount for medical either. But medical or not, the mass production should take the prices down. I encourage everybody and anybody to grow it, sell it or give it away. Cut into their profits. They deserve it for turning medical marijuana into a big profit making joke. I got the meds for chronic pain and bi-polar. I would think that there would be some kind of benefit for someone who gets a medical card and pays extra for it. But in reality, the recreational supply should cut the prices. Fuck the system. Fuck the dispensaries for all of their greed. Grow it and tell them to fuck off. II should not really get any special preference for being medical when it is all legal and the potential to bring the price down is there.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They pretty much doubled it all in Nevada when it went legal. None of the dispensaries give you any kind of discount for medical either. But medical or not, the mass production should take the prices down. I encourage everybody and anybody to grow it, sell it or give it away. Cut into their profits. They deserve it for turning medical marijuana into a big profit making joke. I got the meds for chronic pain and bi-polar. I would think that there would be some kind of benefit for someone who gets a medical card and pays extra for it. But in reality, the recreational supply should cut the prices. Fuck the system. Fuck the dispensaries for all of their greed. Grow it and tell them to fuck off. II should not really get any special preference for being medical when it is all legal and the potential to bring the price down is there.

The mass production won’t take the prices down for the consumer with that tax structure. Farmers will make less, and customers will pay more. The government and dispensaries are the ones who will profit.

Oh well though. If anybody wants my level of quality they’re gonna have to pay for it. I don’t care what market it is. However in my business model, I would still make a lot of money if top shelf indoor drops to as little as 1200 a pound, and I’m still getting 2400. Custom strains are going to be a huge thing in the new market. Everybody wants that new new. I’m gonna try to start releasing one new cut a month.

vta

Veteran
lol Jerry and Co just gave themselves a raise today. Of course we need more taxes !

SacBee said:
The raises, approved Monday by the California Citizens Compensation Commission, come on top the 4 percent salary increases that kicked in late last year. Brown’s pay will climb from $190,102 to $195,805, while rank-and-file lawmakers will go from $104,117 to $107,240.

CaptainDankness

The mass production won’t take the prices down for the consumer with that tax structure. Farmers will make less, and customers will pay more. The government and dispensaries are the ones who will profit.

Oh well though. If anybody wants my level of quality they’re gonna have to pay for it. I don’t care what market it is. However in my business model, I would still make a lot of money if top shelf indoor drops to as little as 1200 a pound, and I’m still getting 2400. Custom strains are going to be a huge thing in the new market. Everybody wants that new new. I’m gonna try to start releasing one new cut a month.

If I could buy a bag for $10 an eighth and it's a dank cut of SSH I won't pay $30 for something on the same level just because of a new name.

They are DNA testing already so unless you have something truly new we will know something like Blue Dream is nothing more than SSH X Blueberry as DNA has shown already.

The days of making a mystery strain like AK-47 and Jack Herrer are coming to an end. But we do have a few years unless Trump and Congress decides to federally legalize.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I could buy a bag for $10 an eighth and it's a dank cut of SSH I won't pay $30 for something on the same level just because of a new name.

They are DNA testing already so unless you have something truly new we will know something like Blue Dream is nothing more than SSH X Blueberry as DNA has shown already.

The days of making a mystery strain like AK-47 and Jack Herrer are coming to an end. But we do have a few years unless Trump and Congress decides to federally legalize.

Documentation will be key.

I am definitely not claiming that a cut or a phenotype is a new strain. That is dishonorable. There is no shame in making a new variation of the same strain as long as you’re honest about exactly what it is, and I’m always honest about the genetics of anything I produce. I always give credit to the original breeder. I always share as much as I know. Integrity is important.

Furthermore, it’s not about getting people to pay me more for new cuts, it’s about getting people to buy them period. Im seeing people with dank indoor get stuck with product, just because it’s the same old cuts. People that continue to grow the same old dispensary cuts, with no variations will be short lived in this industry. For example, I like darkheart nursery, but if they want to survive they’ll have to drastically up their game in genetic variety.

I will also try to breed new stable strains. I will always be honest about that breeding process too. A lot of work has been put in to breeding strains, and the breeders deserve recognition. They have taken cannabis landrace strains to where they are now, and it was no easy task. Not only was it hard work, it was risk. Many of them went to prison for it. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the old school breeders that did it right.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
The real reason that these politicians are even considering tax rates this high is to pay for all the pensions. Hundreds of billions of dollars in promises have been made and sadly a majority of it won't be paid out. This is the case with many communist liberal states that have "problems" with their budgets. Look at how bad the state of Illinois is. That will be the first US state to default on its debt, you can bet on that.

The spirit from Overgrow is still strong. These government clowns wish they could control it, but they can't.

-Funk

CaptainDankness

Documentation will be key.

I am definitely not claiming that a cut or a phenotype is a new strain. That is dishonorable. There is no shame in making a new variation of the same strain as long as you’re honest about exactly what it is, and I’m always honest about the genetics of anything I produce. I always give credit to the original breeder. I always share as much as I know. Integrity is important.

Furthermore, it’s not about getting people to pay me more for new cuts, it’s about getting people to buy them period. Im seeing people with dank indoor get stuck with product, just because it’s the same old cuts. People that continue to grow the same old dispensary cuts, with no variations will be short lived in this industry. For example, I like darkheart nursery, but if they want to survive they’ll have to drastically up their game in genetic variety.

I will also try to breed new stable strains. I will always be honest about that breeding process too. A lot of work has been put in to breeding strains, and the breeders deserve recognition. They have taken cannabis landrace strains to where they are now, and it was no easy task. Not only was it hard work, it was risk. Many of them went to prison for it. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the old school breeders that did it right.
Yeah, I definitely do respect the old school breeders even the guys long before Nevil we had a lot of premium weed strains in the US black market.

Of course Nevil, Sam, Ben, Shantibaba, DJ Short, Robert Clarke, etc, etc. Did make great crosses and strains for the world to access openly.

But like any other seed market the price is not going to be like it is today after federal legalization if it ever comes. The UK isn't even close to legalization like most countries in the world. We get legalization in America though many nations will follow only problem is I believe we will need to change that UN drug bill and most countries don't want marijuana legalized.

Definitely a huge risk still especially in the legal market. If the Federal government starts busting dispensaries there will be thousands of RICO cases as everything is recorded some have to be under camera at every part of the process from seed to sale.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Definitely a huge risk still especially in the legal market. If the Federal government starts busting dispensaries there will be thousands of RICO cases as everything is recorded some have to be under camera at every part of the process from seed to sale.

That’s why it’s important to keep all your personal assets it a separate corporation not hooked up directly to your name. There are states that allow this. Like Montana.