What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aphids issues

I have been trying to find out why my plants haven't been growing as fast the last couple weeks wasn't sure if the stunted growth had to do it transplanting something I was doing wrong wrong temperatures what have you come to find out lack of time with my plants since I had aphids I read somewhere that when aphids are on the plants eating the plants they can spread some type of virus that will slow the growth to the plant my question is with me starting to get rid of them will my plant recover from that or am I screwed.....Also, using green cleaner on them. Better options??

Speed of green

im guessing you are in veg, you can use a diluted solution of rubbing alcohol or sm-90, both work well. aphids are easy to get rid of. a couple applications and you should be set.

never heard of aphids carrying a virus, but im sure its possible, if you could post some pictures you will get a better response.

I hit them with Green cleaner and they seem gone. I'll continue the treatments tho. It said they spread a virus that stunts growth so I was hoping that, that was issue with having such small plants and why they aren't drinking as much as they should being over 7weeks old.

Speed of green

Since you are new to growing and you may not know that something is wrong, you can post pictures on here. More expierienced people can then look at those pictures and give you advice.

Chances are your slow growth is due to some other factor, probably not a virus carried by aphids, when you hear hoofbeats think horse, not zebra.

What's the lighting?

Trying upload the pics. And the bugs were 100% aphids. Soon as I can upload a pic I will. But have 600watt mh lights. In coco. 75degrees. 50% humidity in room.

Betterhaff

Veteran
A major attack of aphids on a plant can cause loss of vigor as the bugs are feeding on the phloem juices. They also reproduce rather quickly so an infestation can get out of hand fast. They can transmit viruses but not sure what those would be regarding cannabis. A few applications of insecticidal soap should take care of them and if the plant is not severely damaged it should bounce back.

Here’s a cool pic, a leaf being attacked by aphids, notice how they tap into the veins.

Edit: not cannabis related but years ago I brought in a pepper plant to overwinter. I was a little sloppy and didn’t take the necessary precautions to make sure it didn’t bring anything in with it. I neglected it for a week or so and when I did check on it aphids had attacked the growing tips and I mean they were covered. Just shows how fast they can take over.

Attachments

• Aphids on Leaf.jpg
    Aphids on Leaf.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 19
4 plants together are Bruce banner 3x2 and Bluedream x 2 (Both strains where supposed to be indica dom phenos, im thinking not) the 3 plants, are 2x Girl scout and 1x White widow.

Yes I see they are showing some deficiencies like Nitro, which makes sense with a intense aphid infestation... THey just arent growing.. i am in Coco and can only water once every few days compared to my last grow that was watering DAILY with the SAME coco brand... These plants I got as clones over 6 weeks ago.. Yes, they were VERY small but still in 6 weeks should be bigger than 10 inches? Any help would be amazing. Thanks..

--- Temps are between 68 (night) and about 75 day. RH stays around 50%, give or take +/- 5%... I use rain water with aeration. I also use Jack Nutrients 3/2/1 feedings.

Speed of green

do you know the e.c/ppm and PH of the solution you are feeding with?

i use jacks as well and i normally do the 321 in flower and do equal parts jacks and calcnit by volume in veg, & foliar feed the epsom/magsulphate.

do you know what scale your ec/ppm meter reads in?

you definitely have an aphid infestation, and they will effect the leaves but your deficiency is nutrient related.

the dark red stems and puffy looking leaves look like overwatering but the coco looks really dry.

when you feed do you get runoff? and then it takes three days for the pot to dry out again?

sorry if this seems like a lot of questions, just trying to get more info to set you in the right direction.

you are right that the plants should be much larger after a six week veg under a 600.

do you know the e.c/ppm and PH of the solution you are feeding with?

i use jacks as well and i normally do the 321 in flower and do equal parts jacks and calcnit by volume in veg, & foliar feed the epsom/magsulphate.

do you know what scale your ec/ppm meter reads in?

you definitely have an aphid infestation, and they will effect the leaves but your deficiency is nutrient related.

the dark red stems and puffy looking leaves look like overwatering but the coco looks really dry.

when you feed do you get runoff? and then it takes three days for the pot to dry out again?

sorry if this seems like a lot of questions, just trying to get more info to set you in the right direction.

you are right that the plants should be much larger after a six week veg under a 600.

PPM going in at this moment is around 700. (NO EC) but same type of water and PPMs i used last time with no growth issues.. As for the coco its actually still dark and damp just under that very thin top layer..

I feed till about 20% runoff. Just cant feed daily or even every day. I got some hYdroguard to help against root rot and im debating on force watering every other day at least.

B ut yeah, i feed/water and it takes up to 3 plus days to start getting dry, even with fans on them. For some reason plants just arent drinking? There is no longer signs of Aphids after blasting them with Green cleaner (but im continuing the process every few days)

As for deficiency yes, 1 issue is not being able to constantly feeding/watering but also with the aphids which suck everything form the plants.

My plants last grow were already 2 weeks into flower at this point... These one's are between 9 and 13inches tall. @ 6plus weeks vegging. As i said, for some reason the plants just arent drinking and im not sure what the deal is?

Speed of green

sounds like they may be getting overwatered leading to root death and slow nutrient uptake. thats a lot of coco for a small plant, and ideally you want it to dry out between waterings.

you can feed a small amount like a solo cup of solution directly at the stem of the plant for 7-10 days until you nee new growth return, then begin to saturate the rest of the pot, making sure to let it dry out between each watering.

did you plug the clones straight into those smart pots or did you transplant from a smaller container first?

I understand that the last round you used the same nutrients at the same strength, it makes sense that these plants should perform the same seeing how you havent changed anything.

i want to point out that different ppm meters read in different scales, some are .5 some are .65 and some are .7

you are probably feeding everything right but just for your peace of mind & to rule out all variables you should look up what scale your meter reads in and make sure you are feeding at the proper strength.

THey were transplanted and outgrew the containers.. I did it exactly how i did last time.. out grew solo cups, and went RIGHT into 5 gallon pots. I am only doing a little bit of watering, not a solo cup worth tho. They were just transplanted into new medium 2 weeeks ago and roots where BRIGHT white still no signs of root damage or damage to them at all... HUGE root balls too.. Meters are brand new as of 3weeks ago. and i made to check calibration on the old ones and they were right on the money... just no clue man... frustrating.

think i was watering with 1L of water as of now... at this point last grow ( i know ever grow is different) they were taking 1plus gallon per day.

the top quarter inch will be dry.. but the middle wont be
( and i mean wont be for DAYS and DAYS) SHould I up the Heat a little in the room? closer to 80? little high to make them drink more?.. idk what else to do..

Speed of green

so you switched meters?

1.0ec = 500ppm @.5 scale & 700ppm .7 scale

so if your meter reads in .7 scale and your feeding @700ppm then you are actually feeding @500ppm.

5 gallons is a shitload of coco for those plants, espescially if you arent letting the pot dry out. im growing 1/3lb plants in 2 gallons of coco and they dry the pot out every 36 hours.

if you gently uncover some of the coco to take a peek at the roots & they arent pearly white then you have root issues, more than likely from overwatering.

maybe someone else will come along with a simple solution i havent thought of.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1987340/nutradip-tri-meter-ppm-question

Latest posts

Latest posts