What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

corn in micro LED ?

earthwyrms

i want to grow and probably will be trying to grow kulli black incan corn and 4000 year old chapalote corn and oaxacan green corn and cherokee white eagle corn and yurackalhua incan giant corn from rareseeds.org

i also hope to grow heirloom and ancient wheat and barleys from there and sustainableseedco.com and einkorn, if i can find it unmilled

but i'm looking to breed and preserve plants with good diversity and properties and mess around with colchine with teosinte and stuff, but i'm just looking to get an idea of if anyone knows if plant height can be controlled by keeping lights close, and containers small, like with sativas

oh, i forgot to ask the question, does anyone have experience growing corn, wheat or barley in micro, and controlling their stretch?

Last edited:

djimb

Veteran
I'm really intrigued by your idea. I grew a decorative red corn in a gallon pot last summer, and it flowered and formed an ear, but it never developed fully. The flowering was delayed compared to the same variety grown in the ground, and it stayed a couple feet shorter. I may have been a little neglectful with watering.

Given enough fertilizer it could be possible, but I'd be worried about taming those 10ft tall Andean varieties in a micro setup.

As a side note, I'm planning on doing some of the giant Incan corns next year outside. I like the idea of growing Mexican varieties as well, in the hope that the flowering windows might overlap, or pollen could be collected, and some day length sensitivity can be bred into the Andean varieties, or giagantism into the Mexican ones. Kind of similar to my current Naranjilla project.

Good luck! I'm following along!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts