What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

variegated marijuana

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Have any of you ever had a cannabis plant grow variegated leafs?
photo is from a few days ago. The new leafs are still growing variegated. And is variegated leaf a bad thing?
picture.php

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
That does not look at all healthy. I have never grown in soil (worth a shit), so can not advise.

If you are experienced soil grower, would think you have early signs of bugs. Mites or thrips.

I am not saying that because of missing leaf parts, but the first set of leaves is screwed up, and others look sick.

Floridian

Veteran
Looks like may be a mutation from lousy genetics,is that a bagseed plant or bought seed?I don't think its from pests.Not that bagseed can't be good and bought seed bad,just curious

I wood

Prayer tower from Bodhi did that up to about fifty percent on all fan leaves, still was one of the bigger producers.
I have a haze cross that does it in response to any root related stress.
Too much kelp seems to trigger more variegation, I read that somewhere and did notice it afterwards.

G

Here's a couple of pics showing what I believe is an example of leaf variegation on 2 plants, about 2 weeks since 12/12 flip. Some, if not most of these leaves are towards the bottom, and have looked like this since early veg. This is first time I've had this, and doesn't seem to be hurting the plant that I can tell, but we'll see. The tips on some of the leaves look to be pointing down in the pic, but are actually twisted to the side.

picture.php

picture.php

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Ok so this one is still growing variegated leafs some what and is growing good. there def isn't any bugs in the grow room.

It is from a bagseed plant that I grew outdoors a few summers ago and the top of the plant got bitten off by my cat then grew 2 giant buds and got seeded by a RANK smelling male plant. So I named the few seeds it grew after my cat named Rita, the one who now has been battling with cancer and is now at the end. Still hasn't shown sex yet. Here's a new pic. I plan on maybe feeding it some grow food but not sure yet.

picture.php

djonkoman

Veteran
I currently have a seedling with some slight variegation(just one small square on one of the newest leaves).
I also had one last year, that one also just had one white section on one leaf.

btw, @keif: is it possible those plants have tobacco mosaic virus? I've never actually seen it, but I've seen pictures online of cannabisplants with tmv, and that leaftip curling to the side is a typical symptom of tmv.

G

I currently have a seedling with some slight variegation(just one small square on one of the newest leaves).
I also had one last year, that one also just had one white section on one leaf.

btw, @keif: is it possible those plants have tobacco mosaic virus? I've never actually seen it, but I've seen pictures online of cannabisplants with tmv, and that leaftip curling to the side is a typical symptom of tmv.

The mother cut that made these beans was known to produce some variegation like seen in these pics. I also had several other plants from the same pack of seeds that were free from any signs of this effect. I had a different strain growing next to these, 9 plants, that were completely free of any variegation.

I knew going in that this was a know genetic trait from the mother cut. One plant had this on the first 2 sets of leaves then might show a small spot on a leaf or two later on. Never saw any evidence that it caused the slightest problem from a plant health standpoint. Just think it's cosmetic

M

meowmeowmeow

I get mutations all the time and I grow in soil (Not a factor really).

I stink it's due to stress, but I have plants in my grow now that have rebound from such variations and are healthy asf now.

The OOKB & Cherry Puff hybrids and Space Cookies all started with some wonky ass leaves.
Some people say OOKB has fucked up leaves like this and I loves'em.

Here's a lower leaf from my Lost Soul (Ghost OG x Grandpas Breath) plant.

LS.jpg

:rasta:
No worries.

Last edited:

Soiledseed

Here's a couple of pics showing what I believe is an example of leaf variegation on 2 plants, about 2 weeks since 12/12 flip. Some, if not most of these leaves are towards the bottom, and have looked like this since early veg. This is first time I've had this, and doesn't seem to be hurting the plant that I can tell, but we'll see. The tips on some of the leaves look to be pointing down in the pic, but are actually twisted to the side.

picture.php

picture.php
Hey so this is happening to my plant currently.
It is purple haze, and I have used kelp meal, which I read above could both be factors. But also root related stress? Any idea what the cause of this is? I know it’s an older thread here but the help would be great!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I have run across those marks a few times over the past years. One thing I noticed is that about 85% of the plants turn purple when it gets cold. So far the plants have been good as hell and way worth the time to grow. It's in genetics and shows itself from time to time and is nothing to worry about. You can't fix it. 😎
IMG_1986.JPG

Soiledseed

I have run across those marks a few times over the past years. One thing I noticed is that about 85% of the plants turn purple when it gets cold. So far the plants have been good as hell and way worth the time to grow. It's in genetics and shows itself from time to time and is nothing to worry about. You can't fix it. 😎
Okay- thanks Creeperpark!
The strain is purple haze so somehow that makes sense. I won’t worry about it anymore :)

Latest posts

Latest posts