What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

staking for support when pot is full of roots?

getbuck

Hello Icmag, I have plants in 3gal pots with soil, 5 weeks in 12/12. The root system has taken over the pots, and I was wondering Will I do serious harm to them if I insert bamboo sticks To the soil (all the way to the bottom) for supporting The buds/branches? Other option I was thinking about Would be to drill some sticks on the outside of the pots. Your insight is highly appreciated as always!

If you have a decent amount of time on your hands I'd find another way to support them. Tie branches to ceiling, duct tape/zip tie bamboo to pots, or maybe a half assed trellis by stringing horizontal wires from walls/posts in between branches.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Hello Icmag, I have plants in 3gal pots with soil, 5 weeks in 12/12. The root system has taken over the pots, and I was wondering Will I do serious harm to them if I insert bamboo sticks To the soil (all the way to the bottom) for supporting The buds/branches? Other option I was thinking about Would be to drill some sticks on the outside of the pots. Your insight is highly appreciated as always!

I do it when I need to with floppity strains. Doesn't seem to hurt a thing.

Asslover

Veteran

Put the stakes in the soil, the plants will be fine.

getbuck

So inserting lets say 4 bamboo sticks in a pot full of roots wont slowdown/harm my flowering plants? Doesnt the sticks break off a bunch of roots?

buzzmobile

Veteran
So inserting lets say 4 bamboo sticks in a pot full of roots wont slowdown/harm my flowering plants? Doesnt the sticks break off a bunch of roots?

No on both questions. You won't harm your plants by pushing bamboo stakes into the root ball.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I put bamboo stakes in my 3 gallons at about every stage of flowering and haven't seen even a hint of a problem. Right now, I have a RP SK with probably 7 or 8 stakes! Lol. Go crazy!!! :biglaugh:

MicroRoy

The biggest danger with stakes is bending over to tend the plants. Then taking a stake to the eye.

OUCH

MicroRoy

I picked up a couple of buldles of four footers years ago. I like to put them three or four to a pot. Then tei then together at the top with a tennise ball.

You have to remember that the roots like to get broken up and even cut up when you transplant. A bamboo stake or two won't cause any stress to your girls.