What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Started Seeds Late...Advice Needed On Maximizing Growth

hello all i need some advice from some of you more experienced growers... I started my seeds inside on first week of June. The plants were about 4-6 inches tall when i transplanted them outside into the ground 5 days ago .

i was wondering what the best way(s) would be to maximize the growth and stretch of the plants during veg.... Should i let them grow normally or should i top them? If i should top...when? Any additives that will boost vegging growth?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. I live at 42.8° Latitude and only have about a month or less before flowering begins... Will try to get some pics up soon....Thanks

Strains:
OG#18 x Skunk
Kushberry x Skunk
Extrema
Chem x Cocoa Kush
Auto Blue Mammoth

niceeven

I myself would not top them as it would slow the plants down some. Try foliar applications of 'growth Plus'. Also, we have had a very cool month of June here where I grow (53N) and while my plants stood there not doing much I tried 'helping them' with 'Super Thrive' and they definitely jumped some, so that would help too.

good luck.....

I myself would not top them as it would slow the plants down some. Try foliar applications of 'growth Plus'. Also, we have had a very cool month of June here where I grow (53N) and while my plants stood there not doing much I tried 'helping them' with 'Super Thrive' and they definitely jumped some, so that would help too.

good luck.....
ok thanks... yea we have been experiencing a major heat wave for past week.... Its been in the 100s everday since Saturday.... i was kinda worried that transplanting them outside on such hot days would stress them out, but they seem to be doing just fine so far...ive been watering every day or every other

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
super simple. 2 large scoops/gallon GH maxigrow during the growth/veg phase. as soon as you see several hairs coming out the tips; swith to GH maxibloom 2 scoops per gallon and 4th week till flush add molasas to every other watering.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Don't do anything you wouldn't normally do. Anytime you try to max out a plant outdoors, you will overload the soil with nutes. Just give them what they normally want and let mother nature do the rest. The heat wave will help you gain some height on your ladies. As for topping them, it is up to you. I would suggest if you are going to top them, do so in the next week. That way it has time to grow side shoots before flower starts. I think yield will be equal if you top or not. Good luck

djonkoman

Veteran
in my first grow I started at a similar time, planted them outside somewhere in july. 3 of my 4 ladies only got a little over a metre tall, but one lady skyrocketed and reached a size of over 2 metres(7 feet or so).
this happened to be a plant that had an injury as seedling. I had grown them behind the window for too long, they had stretched a lot and were falling over, and I supported them with sticks+a little piece of tape. but when removing this support, the stem broke just above the piece of tape, and it was only atached by a small piece. so I took an extradeep pot, repotted the seedling to that and burried it till past the break(wich was still below the cotyledons I think). it recovered, and once planted out became a monster.

could be it was just an extra-vigorous pheno(altough it was very similar tp one of the other ladies, except size), or it was because it had that part of stem buried belowground and so more roots.

B

bajangreen

if your in pots it help to put them in shade till the heat wave past. More water = more growth. if your in ground make sure and loosen the soil around the roots every 2 weeks and to mulch.

I had a stunted plant once the problem was a large ants nest in the pot.

Thanks everyone for all your input...I'd say half of them have doubled in size already about a foot and a half tall and the other half are just starting to get bigger about 6" tall...when should they show their sex? They are 4-5 weeks old and only 2 of the 8 are showing female hairs.... Thanks again everyone

S

SeaMaiden

Start making and using alfalfa teas during this period of vegetative growth. The N + triacontanol (and I don't know what other secondary plant metabolites) will help tremendously.