What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flavor Is Price of Scarlet Hue of Tomatoes, Study Finds

Storm Shadow

Veteran
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/29/s...-of-tomatoes-scarlet-hue-geneticists-say.html

Plant geneticists say they have discovered an answer to a near-universal question: Why are tomatoes usually so tasteless?

Yes, they are often picked green and shipped long distances. Often they are refrigerated, which destroys their flavor and texture. But now researchers have discovered a genetic reason that diminishes a tomato’s flavor even if the fruit is picked ripe and coddled.

The unexpected culprit is a gene mutation that occurred by chance and that was discovered by tomato breeders. It was deliberately bred into almost all tomatoes because it conferred an advantage: It made them a uniform luscious scarlet when ripe.

Now, in a paper published in the journal Science, researchers report that the very gene that was inactivated by that mutation plays an important role in producing the sugar and aromas that are the essence of a fragrant, flavorful tomato. And these findings provide a road map for plant breeders to make better-tasting, evenly red tomatoes.

The discovery “is one piece of the puzzle about why the modern tomato stinks,” said Harry Klee, a tomato researcher at the University of Florida in Gainesville who was not involved in the research. “That mutation has been introduced into almost all modern tomatoes. Now we can say that in trying to make the fruit prettier, they reduced some of the important compounds that are linked to flavor.”
The mutation’s effect was a real surprise, said James J. Giovannoni of the United States Department of Agriculture Research Service, an author of the paper. He called the wide adoption of tomatoes that ripen uniformly “a story of unintended consequences.”

Breeders stumbled upon the variety about 70 years ago and saw commercial potential. Consumers like tomatoes that are red all over, but ripe tomatoes normally had a ring of green, yellow or white at the stem end. Producers of tomatoes used in tomato sauce or ketchup also benefited. Growers harvest this crop all at once, Dr. Giovannoni said, and “with the uniform ripening gene, it is easier to determine when the tomatoes are ripe.”

Then, about 10 years ago, Ann Powell, a plant biochemist at the University of California, Davis, happened on a puzzle that led to the new discovery.

Dr. Powell, a lead author of the Science paper, was studying weed genes. Her colleagues had put those genes into tomato plants, which are, she said, the lab rats of the plant world. To Dr. Powell’s surprise, tomatoes with the genes turned the dark green of a sweet pepper before they ripened, rather than the insipid pale green of most tomatoes today.

“That got me thinking,” Dr. Powell said. “Why do fruits bother being green in the first place?” The green is from chloroplasts, self-contained energy factories in plant cells, where photosynthesis takes place. The end result is sugar, which plants use for food. And, Dr. Powell said, the prevailing wisdom said sugar travels from a plant’s leaves to its fruit. So chloroplasts in tomato fruit seemed inconsequential.

Still, she said, the thought of dark green tomatoes “kind of bugged me.” Why weren’t the leaves dark green, too?
About a year ago, she and her colleagues, including Dr. Giovannoni, decided to investigate. The weed genes, they found, replaced a disabled gene in a tomato’s fruit but not in its leaves. With the weed genes, the tomatoes turned dark green.

The reason the tomatoes had been light green was that they had the uniform ripening mutation, which set up a sort of chain reaction. The mutation not only made tomatoes turn uniformly green and then red, but also disabled genes involved in ripening. Among them are genes that allow the fruit to make some of its own sugar instead of getting it only from leaves. Others increase the amount of carotenoids, which give tomatoes a full red color and, it is thought, are involved in flavor.

To test their discovery, the researchers used genetic engineering to turn on the disabled genes while leaving the uniform ripening trait alone. The fruit was evenly dark green and then red and had 20 percent more sugar and 20 to 30 percent more carotenoids when ripe.

But were the genetically engineered tomatoes more flavorful? Because Department of Agriculture regulations forbid the consumption of experimental produce, no one tasted them.

And, Dr. Giovannoni says, do not look for those genetically engineered tomatoes at the grocery store. Producers would not dare to make such a tomato for fear that consumers would reject it.

But, Dr. Powell said, there is a way around the issue. Heirloom tomatoes and many wild species do not have the uniform ripening mutation. “The idea is to get the vegetable seed industry interested,” Dr. Powell said.

purple_man

Veteran
it's a classical trade off situation, similar to the historical development of nowdays herb (mostly indica, "bag appeal", big yield, etc...), instead of breeding for aroma and high primarly... what a coincidence ey?

blessss
ps.: much thx for the read bro!

G

greenmatter

it sounds like mother nature actually knows more about plants than scientists do ......... what a shock.

supermanlives

Veteran
they also bred for shelf life and similar size. which is why i grow heirlooms . they might look ugly and deformed but they blow away commercial crap tomatos

Mantas

Heirloom seed stock is a must have for the rational gardener. If I was planning a food garden I would have to plant all heirloom seed, it is rightly important.

Abraham Lincoln
Brandywine
Heinz
Box Car Willie
Mortgage Lifter
Rutgers
St. Pierre
Super Sioux
Bonnie Best

^ Heirloom tomato varieties people may want to check out, a bit late in the season but for next year perhaps.

supermanlives

Veteran
cant touch this with any commercially raised crap ripened with ethelyne gas; oxheart. you can also save seeds from the best

G

greenmatter

Heirloom seed stock is a must have for the rational gardener. If I was planning a food garden I would have to plant all heirloom seed, it is rightly important.

Abraham Lincoln
Brandywine
Heinz
Box Car Willie
Mortgage Lifter
Rutgers
St. Pierre
Super Sioux
Bonnie Best

^ Heirloom tomato varieties people may want to check out, a bit late in the season but for next year perhaps.

good list! but at least one is missing ......... Mr. Stripey! i never get a great yield off these but what is there is amazing. they are so sweet that they taste more like fruit than a tomato.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NOW ---- Everyone one of you owe DJ Short a HUGE apology for preserving FLAVOR AND UNIQUENESS at the expense of having his lines called "mutants" ...

All because he didn't give into the human fault of what is appealing to the eye and wallet...in the name of uniformity.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........

dank.Frank

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
"Why are tomatoes sold on the supermarket usually so tasteless?"
It reads better this way.
Grab a few tomato seeds, please don´t go for GM stuff, grow them in your own garden and when they are properly ripe, pick one, give it a good rub on your jeans and have a go at it.
I promise you guys it will be packed full of flavor.
Very interesting reading anyhow that shows how little we understand about all these genetic modification processes.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Everything affects everything.you cant change just one thing everything is connected.
The usefull depends on the useless !!

gingerale

Veteran
I never used to like tomatoes, until I tried my first home grown one last year. Wow....these things are TASTY!

gingerale

Veteran
Heirlooms are great but a smart botanist might cross his best heirloom with a GM tomato, and come out with really fantastic results. Just don't grow use any that has a terminator gene, of course.

supermanlives

Veteran
why screw up an heirloom that has been producing for a long time. my first heirlooms came from amish folk who didnt want gm crap or such. and i respect em for that. still get seeds from pa and a community out there.

They also make them with tough thick skins.So they hold up to being stacked high when transporting.I'm growing Black krim again.Never tasted anything so good!
I would never cross an Heirloom with anything,but an Heirloom.

gingerale

Veteran
I disagree with your assertion that "GM = crap." Many of those GM lines are exceptionally well bred. Crossing an heirloom with the right GM tomato would result in offspring with the good stuff from both parents.

Latest posts

Latest posts