What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

rosetta stone and learning a new language.

supermanlives

Veteran
any one use rosetta stone to learn a new language? i want to learn more spanish as i am surrounded by people that speak it ,and having a better vocabulary would make trips to mexico more fun. did you use another program? . if its good i am gonna get the whole set $400 now. thanks

BudToaster

Veteran
i got rosetta for child, but it still can't speak french. Gotta play to win, eh?

did you check out YouTube? in fact, i'd bet there is a fuckton of free language courses online.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
There is no free ride. You have to immerse yourself in a language to learn it. Lots and lots of free videos and other tools on the web. I learned English watching television. There are Spanish speaking tv stations available in the USA.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you should google rosetta stone and see all the negative reviews. I would go a different direction.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

fact is when you Google any product or service you'll find that dissatisfaction runs rampant, people tend to bitch. Some people don't have the aptitude to learn a 2nd language; desire does not = ability.

Berlitz corp was THE language instruction course you could take prior to the ease of accessing in home programs or classes on the internet. Berlitz was a 'total immersion' language class, you walked in the door and the only language spoken would be whichever you had chosen.

best of luck sml.......

S

SeaMaiden

any one use rosetta stone to learn a new language? i want to learn more spanish as i am surrounded by people that speak it ,and having a better vocabulary would make trips to mexico more fun. did you use another program? . if its good i am gonna get the whole set $400 now. thanks

It's excellent IF you stick with it and can practice outside the program, daily is optimal. It's one thing to practice with a program, it's another to be able to have speakers force you to converse. If you're in SD (I used to live in San Carlos) then that should not be a problem. It is for me where I live.

I think it's better than the other language-learning programs I've seen.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
maybe try night time language hypnosis tapes,, but make sure you use the right one!

otherwise there could be hilarious consequences :)

ive learned loads from visiting spanish and french speaking sections of forums and using online translators to peer into their odd non english needing worlds,,

i prefer every language to english,, all the dumbest people in this world can only speak this mixed up greek/hebrew/latin tongue

its like the babylonian entrapment language for the modern world, and today is nothing like what they spoke in the uk just 300 years, and that is nothing like what it was like when gaul was around,, ahh back when europe was beautiful and enlightened, just look at it now..

Growcephus

Veteran
I didn't like Rossetta stone because I didn't have control of the curriculum. Rossetta is set up so that IT tells YOU what you are going to learn, which didn't work out well for me.

I prefer to have a reference source where I can find the word or phrases I want to learn, and the grammar rules that go along with using them. Rossetta doesn't provide that.

IMO, you're better off doing self study with something like google translator (free!) and then simply comparing what you've learned with a native speaker. That approach worked well for me (using books, not google ;) ), and the native speakers would help me with pronunciation, grammar, and the "real" way people speak (ie...slang / everyday speech vs. "formal" ).

Save your cash imo, and good luck!

huligun

Veteran
I did my first post with my phone, so it is sort of short

I started to learn English watching TV in the 80s. Cartoons and stuff. Then I laid flat for a long time, but in the 90s I studied English at USC. That and immersing myself in Southern California culture I broke over the line.

Those programs (Rosetta Stone) are expensive to produce, so they are not ripping you off, but there are better ways. Living in a country that speaks a language for a year or more and going to university to study the language at the same time is the best I think.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
say mang..... bought a software program @ costco....last year for 60 bucks....
worked JUST as good if not better...... and brushed up the espanole' for myself and the wifey.... before we moved back west.....I interact w/ spanish guys everyday.... and am getting better ..... the software ONLY provides a foundation....
U gotta learn individual dialect's and slang's..... to make U'r spanish sound reasonable to the locals in U'r area.....
but screw the 4bones to rosetta....
costco 60 ducks....just as beuen0'.......

RetroGrow

Veteran
I have used Rosetta, but prefer Pimsleur. Just put the tapes on an MP3 player, and listen every day in the car or when you would be listening to music, and eventually you will pick it up.

huligun

Veteran
I heard doing time in a Mexican Jail is a good way.

Remember no is no in pretty much every language now days

F

FrontLines

I'm learning a new language and I find it best to keep a minimum of 2 sexy girls from that country...Peace!

supermanlives

Veteran
thanks for all the responses. i can speak a little. i can get food ,booze,drugs ,sex and insult people. wanting to learn more.i look mexican so every day i have someone speaking to me in spanish. expecting me to understand them. i usually understand like one in every 8 words on a good day. looking to learn more. i took spanish in school as a kid but that was longass time ago and i really spent my time checking out the hot spanish teacher rather than learning spanish.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for all the responses. i can speak a little. i can get food ,booze,drugs ,sex and insult people. wanting to learn more.i look mexican so every day i have someone speaking to me in spanish. expecting me to understand them. i usually understand like one in every 8 words on a good day. looking to learn more. i took spanish in school as a kid but that was longass time ago and i really spent my time checking out the hot spanish teacher rather than learning spanish.

sounds like you got a decent handle on it now. If you can really order food, booze, drugs & sex without actually insulting somebody by mistake then you're already way ahead in the game.......

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
I'm going to learn Mandarin,
so I can say "please stop beating me" to our chinese masters in about 10 years.......

S

SeaMaiden

My problem is that I understand the Puerto Rican dialect better than Mexican, but I'm out west. Of course, I live in the White Man Country right now, not to change anytime soon, so instead of being mistaken for Mexican I'm mistaken for Miwuk. I don't know how to speak Miwuk and can't find a Rosetta Stone to teach me! How much Miwuk does a woman need to know to grind a few acorns, anyway...?

I bet you know pinche cabron. Chinga tu madre, mierde como este. Si?

The swear words are different, depending on region and dialect. For example, in Puerto Rico if I say carajo people know what I mean. If I say it in front of a Mexican they don't understand I'm in hell.

Harry G... LMAO! Ni hao!