What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help needed with schedule. Newb.

Dis

Hey guys, I am new to the farm and I had some questions regarding setting up a foliar schedule. I am currently applying Agsil and neem weekly, (Mon) a kelp foliar as per CCs rehydrayed kelp meal tea recipe, weekly (Thurs), and neem / dr bronners / essential oils as needed.

I recently picked up some Activaloe 200x so I want to incorporate that into the mix.

I have plenty of alfalfa meal and have heard its viable as a foliar, however I havent found a solid recipe and when you type alfalfa foliar into the search box you literally get one result that talks more about sugars than alfalfa.

I have some guanos and fish hydrolysate / seaweed that are for teas currently, not sure of its worth trying to work them into any kind of foliar application.

Also, I have been using malted barley in my soil and as a side dress, and I am familiar with the process for SST but havent worked it into a schedule yet for a soil drench and know nothing of foliar benefits?

Also planning on culturing my on lactobacillus as well, in the weeks to come. One thing at a time.

Not sure if it matters but they also get ewc (ewc, kelp, alf, mol, fish hydro/sw) tea every 2 weeks (soil drench) and a rehydrated kelp soil drench on alternate weeks. Plain watered every 3rd day currently. I want to give my girls what I have to give, and I have bulk of these things.

Any suggestions, or mistakes made and learned from would be appreciated. If this has been answered elsewhere I apologize, if you could point me in that direction that would be great.

Dis

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Dont want to sound like an ignorant dick, but if you're really new to growing, why do you start with all that foliar stuff. Plants have roots to take up nutrients and water. I would only spray things on them in case of pests and diseases.

Dis

I am just trying to give my girls everything I can, and am here to learn what I can. I tried incorporating everything into one foliar last night, 2 hrs after lights out so far no ill effects. I appreciate you and your time. Thank you.

For anyone to criticize or use, this is what I tried last night. Just pulled application rates from BAS and and threw it together.

.25 grams Activaloe 200x, 1.5 grams Agsil 16H, 2 teaspoons rehydrayed kelp, .5 oz Neem, 1 gallon water. I mixed the aloe water (1qt), then I mixed the kelp water (2qts), then finally mixing the emusified Neem / Agsil into another container (1qt), then mixed all 3 containers into my sprayer, aggitated, sprayed.

About 9 hours later, about 2 hours after lights on.
picture.php

picture.php

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Wow I thought you were talking outdoor trees. That's a lot of spraying.

I can't offer any advice on all that. Too much going on. I would just feed with ACT as you mentioned and only spray if you have issues.

My point being, if you have a dialed environment and healthy plants you do not need all the spray. I would focus on providing a perfect environment and perfecting the ACT.

Dis

Wow I thought you were talking outdoor trees. That's a lot of spraying.

I can't offer any advice on all that. Too much going on. I would just feed with ACT as you mentioned and only spray if you have issues.

My point being, if you have a dialed environment and healthy plants you do not need all the spray. I would focus on providing a perfect environment and perfecting the ACT.

What do you mean by "That's a lot of spraying.", The amount mixed, the number of ingredients used, their measured amounts, or my once weekly application of this "IPM+kelp"? If its because I mixed a gallon, well yes... It did my 4 plants, my 3 raised beds, my seed starting area, my potted deck plants, and my fig tree. Worked wonders on my tomatillo verde and my purple tomatillos which were looking ragged after some 110f + temps this weekend.

Other than that so far I am only spraying a Dr. Bronners / Neem / Essential Oils for pests as needed, so far not needed on the cannabis, but used in the outdoor garden beds.

My AACT is going off some tested recipes, but I havent picked up the glass to test it so until funds materialize I am using it in good faith, its on the list just havent picked it up yet.

The question regarding applications of fish hydro, guanos, and foliar applications of SST are because I do not know enough to determine whether it is worth doing as a foliar or if I should just keep it in the soils and teas.

The environment for this grow is not quite dialed. Its on a service porch between my backyard / deck / garden, and my kitchen... Far from sterile. Its not climate controlled in anyway, nor do I have the ability to (other than windows, fans & lights). I also have a dog that lives outside, loves to roll in the dirt, and occasionally comes inside when too hot or too cold, walking right by my plants.

My motivation for spraying, is to in fact have healthy plants. Lacto, kelp, alfalfa, agsil, neem, ewc act, aloe. Everything I have read says that these can all play a critical role in plant health, and may have benefits when applied as a foliar. I am willing to make the time and do the work. Thank you for taking the time to respond Lester, happy growing.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Knock off the neem, since you or someone you share the cannabis with may have issues with it. It stays in the plant for months without breaking down.

You're indoor. Your goal should be to not spray at all if possible. Clean, pristine cannabis is awesomely delicious, so try not to put anything on it you wouldn't vape a couple drops of. ;)

Dis

Knock off the neem, since you or someone you share the cannabis with may have issues with it. It stays in the plant for months without breaking down.

You're indoor. Your goal should be to not spray at all if possible. Clean, pristine cannabis is awesomely delicious, so try not to put anything on it you wouldn't vape a couple drops of. ;)

Thanks Doug, Ive been coming across anti-neem sentiment more and more lately. Certainly if there is no need for it I would love to not have to apply it, its purely preventative at this point, guess Ill just have to see how it goes sans neem next grow to see what issues its use as an IPM may have impacted, if any at all. Its my first grow so I live with a little terror each day. Prevention being the best medicine and all that has me applying it without an existing reason.

I am not against abandoning the Agsil, my Horsetail just hasnt filled in the area I want it to yet so I can make some fermented plant botanical tea with it.

The aloe and the kelp, yea I think Id vape on some of that without being consumed by fear... What do you think Doug? Aloe and kelp worth it during veg?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Are you entirely soiless or is that top dressing to keep pests at bay? Did you by any chance go to a grow shop and ask a salesman who gets paid commission for advice on what you needed?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Personally, I would stick to the once weekly spray. Neem, Agsil, and Aloe to stimulate the SAR. Everything else just top dress and drench. If you feel the need to tend your plants, spraying RO water on them rarely causes issues. I would stop spraying a week or two into flower (once I see buds set).

Dis

Soil based grow. FFOF and Recipe420 in these pots amended with some additional single ingredient dry ferts / amendments. In my garden beds its Coots mix in two, a KIS mix in the other. At somepoint Id like to check out Modern Method or some variation of suggested to me by Granger2 I believe.

As far as the hydroshop, Ive purchased 200 plant labels, 8 1020 trays, a Hurricane 16 ($25 cant beat it), and have had special ordered a 50# bag of kelp meal and DE. Oh and 2 bags of FFOF at $13.25 each. I've never asked anyone at the hydroshop for advice... Should I? They usually look at me dumbfounded when I ask them about single ingredient dry organic ferts and amendments.

I hope I answered your questions, thank you for your contribution.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Hey dis, no mate, sorry tongue in check, just commenting on the amount of stuff you have bought. I use 2 methods,
1 lazy growing ( mainly for selection work on new seeds) which is compost, light and tap water only. Compost at 2 quid for 60 litres
2. If I'm doing "bag appeal grows" then its compost and the Max nutes bought (all root fed) :
Plant magic biosilicon
Plant magic cal mag +
Ionic bloom (for soil)
Buddhas tree Pk 9 - 18

Dis

Personally, I would stick to the once weekly spray. Neem, Agsil, and Aloe to stimulate the SAR. Everything else just top dress and drench. If you feel the need to tend your plants, spraying RO water on them rarely causes issues. I would stop spraying a week or two into flower (once I see buds set).

This is exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping to hear, thank you. I've read a little about the use of alfalfa and kelp as foliars, but I do not posses the answer to the question: Is a kelp foliar and a kelp soil drench redundant? Does the foliar do something that the drench wont, just at a slower rate? Anyone have any experience with that?