Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Root rot prevention in rockwool?

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Root rot prevention in rockwool? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2018, 11:21 PM #1
samiam

samiam will become famous soon enoughsamiam will become famous soon enough
Root rot prevention in rockwool?

What are you guys using in Rockwool to prevent root rot?

It seems pots of rw get really water logged in the bottom of the pot. Even with a layer perlite in the bottom.
Like the top drys out way to fast, and still soggy on the bottom.
samiam is offline Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 02:56 AM #2
davidyhan

davidyhan is on a distinguished road
Try watering less amount of water so it only saturates top layer. For example if you water 500 ml at a time and u see the the entire rockwool get wet cut it in half or even more so only top gets saturated and it gives the bottom of rw time to dry out.
davidyhan is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:55 AM #3
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Never let it dry completely out, it should always at least be a tiny bit moist before the next flooding. This keeps the pH from crashing and the nutrient strength from spiking, both which will cause root rot.

Keep the rockwool less than 75F? Not sure, but I believe there's a max temp rockwool can handle before heat related root damage begins.

Keep your feed low. The more floodings you have each day, the lower the nutrient strength should be.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 02:21 PM #4
RockinRobot

RockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud of
Had the same issue using rockwool croutons in flood and drain once. Have to keep root temp lower and let rockwool dry out more (water less often). I found the reservoir temp stayed <72 yet the rockwool, which was much closer to the lights, got much warmer. I was unable to lower the room temps, to keep the root temps lower, so I stopped using rockwool and switched to Hydroton.

You can also try a layer of Hydroton under the rockwool instead of perlite. May help drain better.
RockinRobot is offline Quote

Old 07-30-2018, 10:06 PM #5
ThePizzaMan

ThePizzaMan is a jewel in the roughThePizzaMan is a jewel in the roughThePizzaMan is a jewel in the roughThePizzaMan is a jewel in the roughThePizzaMan is a jewel in the roughThePizzaMan is a jewel in the roughThePizzaMan is a jewel in the roughThePizzaMan is a jewel in the rough
You shouldn't be getting root rot in Rockwool. Could be a temp issue within the room. Environmental controls is key to a successful and bountiful harvest. Also..they could be too close to the lights.
ThePizzaMan is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:38 PM #6
z00t

z00t will become famous soon enough
do not use rockwool.
z00t is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:09 PM #7
Dirrtybirdy

Dirrtybirdy is on a distinguished road
I had major root rot in my last two runs. I'm thinking its from watering the rw with warmer water. Now the temp is always under 76f. I haven't had a problem since.
Dirrtybirdy is offline Quote

Old 08-11-2018, 10:02 PM #8
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond repute
I tried rockwool once and initially I thought it would work well.
But then I had moisture issues also and went back to soil.
Soil is so much easier on the brain than rockwool.

Working on Something Sneaky

Legalization may kill black markets. Government tyranny creates them.
troutman is offline Quote

Old 08-12-2018, 02:41 PM #9
bigbadbillybob

bigbadbillybob is on a distinguished road
root it cubes are much better than rockwool. They don't affect the ph, or saturate like rockwool.
I wouldn't waste my time with rockwool, germ in a root it cube, then straight into hydroton- that's what you want.
bigbadbillybob is offline Quote

Old 08-12-2018, 04:46 PM #10
Grow God

Grow God will become famous soon enoughGrow God will become famous soon enoughGrow God will become famous soon enough
Try using a product like hydrogaurd. Works really well at prevention but won’t eliminate it once started.
I find two days of physan20 then straight to hydrogaurd is how you get them back on track.
Grow God is offline Quote