What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do i always get Hermies?

G

ganjygav

Just to prove a point. It's night time now.
Look how bright my backyard is. I turned off my security light which is 600w halogen for the photo. I used no flash and you can see how bright it is.

I repeat I get no hermies with my backyard plants, only indoors.
Light leak is bs imo on hermie cause.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Main reasons for hermie is usually genetics, light leaks or stress. Usually in that order.

Sounds like you are cloning the same strain over and over. If you are (and they have the hermie gene), each successive crop will be worse. At least that has been my experience. Start fresh with a new seed.

Light leaks. Stand inside your room with lights off. It should be 100% black. Patch any light leaks.

That's 2 out of 3 of the main causes.

Great info. True!

G

ganjygav

And here's a photo of inside my tent with lights off. You can't even see the the zips, this is the same situation the seeds herm in.
So now tell me how my hermies are from light leaks indoors but the plants outdoors bathed in artificial light don't.
I'm open minded and accept any explanation that makes sense because it's a question I've puzzled over for a long time lol.
picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alright thats really helping me out! Thanks alot for that reply.
So my biggest fear after the last grow was that some pollen will get stuck in some places of the growbox and will immediately pollinate the new ones.
But if in this scenario the plants will only grow seeds in the buds and do not get hermie with all the nanners like they did on me that means that it cannot come from pollen of the last grow am i right? :biggrin:

you are right :)

So i also read that some people say that light leaks cannot cause hermies. I also thought of that moonlight theory, because when the moon is really bright all the outdoor plants have to hermie if they were so sensitive to light leaks.

ok, light leaks CAN certainly cause hermies sometimes, but like i said with stable genetics a tiny bit of light leak is unlikely to cause problems... that said, it is better not to have any light leaks!

how many times have you had this problem?
what genetics are you using? have you used he same clone variety each time or have they been different genetics with the same hermie problem?

VG

B

bigganjabud

And here's a photo of inside my tent with lights off. You can't even see the the zips, this is the same situation the seeds herm in.
So now tell me how my hermies are from light leaks indoors but the plants outdoors bathed in artificial light don't.
I'm open minded and accept any explanation that makes sense because it's a question I've puzzled over for a long time lol.
View Image

Are you still getting hermes gav? I'd say it was a dodgy timer now then mate as we've picked through all the other possibilities man possibly a damaged tappits in the segments mate

G

ganjygav

Are you still getting hermes gav? I'd say it was a dodgy timer now then mate as we've picked through all the other possibilities man possibly a damaged tappits in the segments mate

Nah last 2 grows I've used clones and zero herms fella.
It was my last 3 grows with seeds that I had herms with. Imagine losing 3 crops in a row, different strains by different breeders and not knowing what was causing it.

I thought I was f#@king up but like I say I've done 2 grows since with clones of 3 different strains and no hermies. In the same tent, in the same room... Same everything.

This is why when people flat out say it's light leaks puzzles me, I've had the same strain grow indoors and hermie while across the road in the very same street it grew outdoors fine with all the lights that are on out there.

Ya if ya lights come on in the grow room for 15mins each night in flower because timer is knackered I imagine that would upset the plants.

I believe it's mostly to do with genetics. In their rush to pump out the fashionable strains quality is being over looked.
Look how many seeds come out within a year of people going crazy for a clone only strain.
Gg#4 and skittlz for instance.
There's a big buzz about the clones so the seed companies breed hybrids of these clones and release the seeds real quick.
How can they be testing how stable the seeds are when they're releasing them so quick.

B

bigganjabud

Nah last 2 grows I've used clones and zero herms fella.
It was my last 3 grows with seeds that I had herms with. Imagine losing 3 crops in a row, different strains by different breeders and not knowing what was causing it.

I thought I was f#@king up but like I say I've done 2 grows since with clones of 3 different strains and no hermies. In the same tent, in the same room... Same everything.

This is why when people flat out say it's light leaks puzzles me, I've had the same strain grow indoors and hermie while across the road in the very same street it grew outdoors fine with all the lights that are on out there.

Ya if ya lights come on in the grow room for 15mins each night in flower because timer is knackered I imagine that would upset the plants.

I believe it's mostly to do with genetics. In their rush to pump out the fashionable strains quality is being over looked.
Look how many seeds come out within a year of people going crazy for a clone only strain.
Gg#4 and skittlz for instance.
There's a big buzz about the clones so the seed companies breed hybrids of these clones and release the seeds real quick.
How can they be testing how stable the seeds are when they're releasing them so quick.

I've got em both mate passed to me from the ganja God's that frequent these pages
These are clones

If ya get em in seed form try and remember you'll have an awesome pheno hunt to go through to get the phenos I've got (not tooting my own trumpet also if anyone is reading that sponsored me any cuts THANKYOU)

G

ganjygav

I've got em both mate passed to me from the ganja God's that frequent these pages
These are clones

If ya get em in seed form try and remember you'll have an awesome pheno hunt to go through to get the phenos I've got (not tooting my own trumpet also if anyone is reading that sponsored me any cuts THANKYOU)

Oh I'm done with seeds now fella. I can't figure out what it is I do but I got way too many herms it just put me off for life lol

B

bigganjabud

Oh I'm done with seeds now fella. I can't figure out what it is I do but I got way too many herms it just put me off for life lol

Are ya sure you was buying fem seeds?

I know it's a silly question but if they were from different breeders that's a horrible run of luck mate

:comfort:

Budley Doright

Veteran
I was reading a thread a little like this a few years ago....and a guy had a tongue in cheek answer....

He said that he got hermies because he walked thru his grow naked with a peanut a jelly sammich.....

He said.....I will never do that again.......

G

ganjygav

Are ya sure you was buying fem seeds?

I know it's a silly question but if they were from different breeders that's a horrible run of luck mate

:comfort:

That's what they're sold as anyway. Lol thseeds, seedsman and I can't remember the other breeder or strain I will check and see if I kept a diary. I'm sure it was something from female seeds

G

ganjygav

It was mob from thseeds and c99 x blueberry from seedsman. I didn't keep a diary of the 3rd grow and I can't remember what it was.
I distinctly remember wasting a year to herms and nearly packing up.

Then I switched to clones and ditched my pH pen and things have just started getting better and better with the plants health as you've seen dude.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Some years ago a breeder named soma.... of the new york city diesel strain fame....

disclosed that his method of producing feminized seeds was to allow the females to go some weeks past their prime.... some would produce male flowers .....the pollen was then used on other plants to produce feminized seeds.... the method he called rodelization.....

If there was a reliable method to produce male flowers and then feminized seeds it most likely would have been done..... now the use of silver solutions have put those methods out of use..... the use of light tricks would have been dandy tool for the purpose....

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The reason you don't want "light tricks" hermies is because it produces hermies more sensitive to "light tricks." STS possibly creates hermies more sensitive to STS... which is perfectly fine. STS isn't found naturally, almost zero chance of accidental exposure.

Yes, Soma helped create a crapload of hermie genetics by posting that information up. With light tricks, you do it once and then weed out the hermies as you look for breeding material. Most of the home growers seem to have forgotten or not understood the last part.

Use STS, it works great. :D

Budley Doright

Veteran
Its just not as simple as all that....

Lets say I have this plant.... I find it is 100% stable when dark and produces male flowers when some sort of light trick is used....

I produce some flowers by using the pollen with another plant...

I realize that I might cause the plants seeds to be fully hermaphroditic

But I also assume that I can find a plant just like mom......

I would assume that if selfed I would likely get more hermaphrodites than in a 2 strain cross....

The other bonus is that it is no more effort then setting your timer....

I could use sts sure....but I would love to use a light trick that worked....

But then thats the point of the thread.... if it had been shown that doing something to the light cycle was a reliable way to create male flowers..... I would be all in......sounds like big fun to me...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Its just not as simple as all that....

Lets say I have this plant.... I find it is 100% stable when dark and produces male flowers when some sort of light trick is used....

I produce some flowers by using the pollen with another plant...

I realize that I might cause the plants seeds to be fully hermaphroditic

But I also assume that I can find a plant just like mom......

I would assume that if selfed I would likely get more hermaphrodites than in a 2 strain cross....

The other bonus is that it is no more effort then setting your timer....

I could use sts sure....but I would love to use a light trick that worked....

But then thats the point of the thread.... if it had been shown that doing something to the light cycle was a reliable way to create male flowers..... I would be all in......sounds like big fun to me...
You don't get it. STS is so stupid simple to make and use, why would you use a (genetically) inferior method. It makes removing hermi genetics MUCH more difficult.

Anyway, the point is there. A massive difference in light strength, will trigger the hermie trait right where the strong light is.

troutman

Seed Whore
Use regular seeds and stop trying to mess with Mother Nature. :tiphat:

No wonder in the past 10 years people are complaining about hermies more and more. :moon:

Budley Doright

Veteran
You don't get it. STS is so stupid simple to make and use, why would you use a (genetically) inferior method. It makes removing hermi genetics MUCH more difficult.

Anyway, the point is there. A massive difference in light strength, will trigger the hermie trait right where the strong light is.

Can you prove its genetically inferior????

I love science.....just because someone says something doesnt make it true.....

First off I dont believe you can actually use light to reliably make male flowers..... I also dont believe in unicorns.....

Your point about genetics is a little like you telling me how a unicorn feels....and youve never seen a unicorn.....

I also do not believe a few little light leaks cause hermaphrodite plants, most likely a genetic issue. Perfect example is nature it is never perfectly dark outside at night (Sun reflecting off the moon) also I have had grows with a few light leaks. The only time I have ever had hermaphrodite issues is while using unknown shit seeds in my early days of cultivation experimentation.

Also I have grown some plants that were hermaphrodite with just a few seeds and they turned out really nice, as long as the whole thing doesn't go to seed

Latest posts

Latest posts