What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's the difference between a $200 bong and a $8,900 bong?

I'm thinking about significantly upgrading a lot of the pieces in my house and I've been window shopping online head shops looking for different pieces I may want to add to the arsenal.

I've been looking through high end shops since I would like two or three nice pieces for around the house but I can't really tell the difference between the $200 high end bongs and the several thousand dollar high end bongs...

All I really care about is hitting quality and how easy it is to clean.

Did smoking technology get retardedly advanced while I wasn't paying attention? Or are these people who are suckering hipster rich kids?

bucketswithsoil

support your local surfboard builder...
I'm thinking about significantly upgrading a lot of the pieces in my house and I've been window shopping online head shops looking for different pieces I may want to add to the arsenal.

I've been looking through high end shops since I would like two or three nice pieces for around the house but I can't really tell the difference between the $200 high end bongs and the several thousand dollar high end bongs...

Did smoking technology get retardedly advanced while I wasn't paying attention? Or are these people who are suckering hipster rich kids?

Dude....i have thought the same thing the last few times ive been to the head shops...a regular old school bong.without all the other bullshit is damn near a thing of the past...

Dude....i have thought the same thing the last few times ive been to the head shops...a regular old school bong.without all the other bullshit is damn near a thing of the past...

Dude seriously. I've spent some time window shopping here.
https://www.smokecartel.com/collections/glass-water-pipes-and-bongs?sort_by=price-descending

And it makes my head spin a little. I'm not sure why their $1,000+ bongs are better than their $200 bongs?

What does a percolator do on a bong? Why are there like 40 different types on that site?

I am totally confused.

Mukind

A perc will change the way the bong hits

I believe the term is it "diffuses" the smoke. Basically makes it smoother and less harsh. I'm not clear on all the physics of it but it just changes the way the hit feels including temp.

I run a straight tube with a tree perc on the end of the downstem. Ends up having a similar effect to a built in perc in the bong without all the hassle.

And obviously they are modular so you could add in ashcatchers or diffused sliders to alter airflow. (diffused sliders are an alternative to the slides with the big holes that are meant to be used with a screen, all the airflow with none of the disposable screen)

If you don't like all that fancy shit I would recommend going with some 9mm straight tube or beaker at least a foot high. Then just adding things like fancy downstems and slides as you like.

If you do a lot of concentrates you might want a "recycler" which is basically jsut a super nice bubbler but I know less about that. What concentrates I do use just get put in flower generally.

You could probably get something both unique and very well designed at that price point though.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
As far as some of the heady glass goes folks look at them as art investments, that is, they will be able to sell them for equal if not more value then they paid originally. I don't know the market and if this is really the case or not.

shithawk420

Veteran
The reason they cost so much is because they are usually one of a kind colaboration piece by famous artists,like the FYC.that illadelph rediculously priced

Cabinet Ninja

Veteran
As a full-time glassblower, I'll give you a little insight.

The $200 bong thats 12" tall, has 2 bongs and a generic name is almost always made in either India or China. Their material costs are significantly lower due to them using Asian glass (lower quality) and an Asian work force. This translates into being able to sell the bong for a much lower cost.

The same bong, made here in America or Europe would cost significantly more. American made clear or colour glass is drastically more expensive than Import colour/clear. Also, say for example, that $200 bong took 2 hours to make in Asia, you can bet your ass that no-one who blows glass artistically quit their day job to make bongs for less than $50/hr.

You also then have the artistic side of the pipe scene. Not just the clear bongs with percs in them, but pieces that are fun to smoke out of or just blow your mind due to the intricacies. Extra time/materials/techniques that the artist puts into a piece will directly translate into final price.

You then also have demand. A sweat shop in India or China can churn out hundreds of bongs a week. A solo artist can put out maybe 4 nice top end pieces a month.

Back in April of this year, I was selling a range of mini tubes for the ~$300 range. I had way too many requests from buyers to keep up with the demand. I put the next piece up for auction and it sold for over $2000. WHat im trying to say with that, is that the customers also influence the price.

Take Elbo for example. Few years back, you could buy one of his Dino rigs for $2000 or so. Again, due to a higher demand that what he could humanly fulfill, the 2nd hand market for the dinos was nearly double what the shops were selling them for. From that, he raised his prices.

Hope that gives a little insight ;)

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
As a full-time glassblower, I'll give you a little insight.

The $200 bong thats 12" tall, has 2 bongs and a generic name is almost always made in either India or China. Their material costs are significantly lower due to them using Asian glass (lower quality) and an Asian work force. This translates into being able to sell the bong for a much lower cost.

The same bong, made here in America or Europe would cost significantly more. American made clear or colour glass is drastically more expensive than Import colour/clear. Also, say for example, that $200 bong took 2 hours to make in Asia, you can bet your ass that no-one who blows glass artistically quit their day job to make bongs for less than $50/hr.

You also then have the artistic side of the pipe scene. Not just the clear bongs with percs in them, but pieces that are fun to smoke out of or just blow your mind due to the intricacies. Extra time/materials/techniques that the artist puts into a piece will directly translate into final price.

You then also have demand. A sweat shop in India or China can churn out hundreds of bongs a week. A solo artist can put out maybe 4 nice top end pieces a month.

Back in April of this year, I was selling a range of mini tubes for the ~$300 range. I had way too many requests from buyers to keep up with the demand. I put the next piece up for auction and it sold for over $2000. WHat im trying to say with that, is that the customers also influence the price.

Take Elbo for example. Few years back, you could buy one of his Dino rigs for $2000 or so. Again, due to a higher demand that what he could humanly fulfill, the 2nd hand market for the dinos was nearly double what the shops were selling them for. From that, he raised his prices.

Hope that gives a little insight ;)
Okinawa's been blowing fine glass long before you came along!
:thank you:

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Your willingness to throw it away after it has been used for a year and impossible to get 100% clean.

"...between the $200 high end bongs and the several thousand dollar high end bongs..."

A digital Storz & Bickel costs something between 500 and 600 bucks and will give you much more pleasure than any bong.

I got my digi Volcano son, I ain't no rookie. :D

But combusting is a different high and I want something to pull out for guests.

Latest posts

Latest posts