What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

i used plain ole h20 to clone

G

I Was at a Friends house and he had pruned his plants and gave me a top with two grow points i really didn't think it would survive
(it took me 25 mins to get home no water ,it wilted) when i got home i put in a 16 oz plastic drink cup with plain warm tap water (no nutes or dome ) and placed it in my kitchen window the temp in my house was 72 according to my thermostat when i came home it was thriving :D this is my first clone ever!!

funker

While you might be sustaining the branch, it wont necessarily root - hence clone. As well, if it is just a leaf (not a branch) it is not technically a clone, because it wont produce any secondary shoots. But it sounds like you have a growing stem? I'm not sure.

If you want it to clone you can make it clone using traditional methods (even without hormone) though it will take a while.

Good luck.

-funker

G

i got some pics but im having a time getting my camera to cooperate its a stem with two branches comming off of it

G

funker said:
While you might be sustaining the branch, it wont necessarily root - hence clone. As well, if it is just a leaf (not a branch) it is not technically a clone, because it wont produce any secondary shoots. But it sounds like you have a growing stem? I'm not sure.

If you want it to clone you can make it clone using traditional methods (even without hormone) though it will take a while.

Good luck.

-funker

Leaves dont wilt as a rule, they just dry up. Since he said he got two growpoints, I'm assuming he has an actual cutting.

Water cloning is the original cloning method

111IM004219.JPG

111IM003923-med.JPG

111IM003939.JPG

Bodhi

Caprichoso that is incredible! Those are some huge cuttings and they are in excellent health with extensive root systems developed. Do you add any nutrients to the water or just straight tap water? And what's the trick to keeping them so healthy? Is it because the cuttings are so big?

I've yet to find a foolproof cloning method but I used water-cloning on my first grow with good success. Since then I've been trying to root in soil, peat pellets, oasis cubes..all with rooting hormone but the results are varied. I'd like to find a method for cloning those tricky plants.

Oh one last question if you don't mind :D Would an opaque container be a better choice? I've always heard that light is not good for a root system. :confused:

thanks
-sun

Nice cuttings Cap.. funker - what are you talking about? Water cloning like stated IS the traditional way. Few clones on these boards are a true clone. If it was grown from cutting it is lacking a few fundamental plant parts and not a clone of it's donator. If you cut your arm off and kept it alive it would be an arm not a clone of you. Most "clones" are branches (unless advanced micro-tissue culture is in practice) grown as plants.

G

Bodhi said:
Caprichoso that is incredible! Those are some huge cuttings and they are in excellent health with extensive root systems developed. Do you add any nutrients to the water or just straight tap water? And what's the trick to keeping them so healthy? Is it because the cuttings are so big?

I've yet to find a foolproof cloning method but I used water-cloning on my first grow with good success. Since then I've been trying to root in soil, peat pellets, oasis cubes..all with rooting hormone but the results are varied. I'd like to find a method for cloning those tricky plants.

Oh one last question if you don't mind :D Would an opaque container be a better choice? I've always heard that light is not good for a root system. :confused:

thanks
-sun

Hey Bohdi, thanks man, I wish I could take credit. This is all mother natures doing. Water cloning requires that you only stick the cut in water shortly after removal and change the water every few days or so. Keep temps above 70 and light levels VERY low. Ambient fluoro lighting from an overhead fixture or a single 20 watt bulb two feet away or more. The less light cuts in water receive, the better. To a point, of course. No need to check ph and every experiment I have done involving additives to the cloning water have not helped rooting speed. That is the only drawback, if you can call it one. Sometime they will sit for two weeks and do nothing. Sometimes they'll show roots in 5-7 days. Ive not figured out a way to make them consistent yet, but in the end it doesnt matter, since rooted cuts sit in water like in stasis. That bottom pic was in the water for 6 weeks after roots formed. I only planted it because I was afraid the rootmass would rip off the stem from it's own wet weight if I let it go any more. The cuts in the first pic are just days after roots have formed. I let them go another week or so before tp.

Give water cloning a try. If the extended rooting time screws up your room timing, take two generations of cuttings and have one always in the water rooting. They're small and dont take up much room ;)

G

Oh, BTW, this method is 100% successful when you get the conditions down right. There is nearly no leaf degredation except the very lowest leaves when roots develop. You wont need a humidity dome, ever. The roots uptake all the moisture they need through the cut stem. So the method requires far less maintenance.

Latest posts

Latest posts