Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > RDWC/undercurrent pest question

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
RDWC/undercurrent pest question Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2018, 02:52 AM #1
oakley1984

oakley1984 is on a distinguished road
RDWC/undercurrent pest question

So im relatively new to growing with hydroponic systems, and am having very good success, did notice today though that i had a few small little black flies (likely fungas gnats) flying around the base of one of my plants. What are effective means of treating fungas gnats in hydroponics? i Do not want to spray anything as im in 3rd wk of flower. I am curious as to the effectiveness of predatory nematodes in hydro? bad idea? wont work? will work? for the time being set up sticky strips to lower adult population, but is only a band aid solution... any help would be appreciated.

Cpl pics of my plants for attention

(stalks are over 2" )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180729_032754.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	465104 Click image for larger version

Name:	20180729_032734.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	465105
oakley1984 is offline Quote

Old 08-04-2018, 03:55 AM #2
Chemdawggy Dawg

Chemdawggy Dawg is a jewel in the roughChemdawggy Dawg is a jewel in the roughChemdawggy Dawg is a jewel in the roughChemdawggy Dawg is a jewel in the roughChemdawggy Dawg is a jewel in the roughChemdawggy Dawg is a jewel in the rough
You need to get mosquito bits asap. They will kill the fly larvae. When you see the flies you have root rot at only week 3, not a good situation . Change the and Fill it higher and give them some sm90. Cool the water down to 67 or 68 if you can. If you let it go very long the larvae will eat holes all though your plants and kill them slowly.
Chemdawggy Dawg is offline Quote

Old 08-04-2018, 04:04 AM #3
negative37dBA

negative37dBA is just really nicenegative37dBA is just really nicenegative37dBA is just really nicenegative37dBA is just really nicenegative37dBA is just really nicenegative37dBA is just really nicenegative37dBA is just really nicenegative37dBA is just really nicenegative37dBA is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemdawggy Dawg View Post
You need to get mosquito bits asap. They will kill the fly larvae. When you see the flies you have root rot at only week 3, not a good situation . Fill the water higher and give them some sm90. Cool the water down to 67 or 68 if you can. If you let it go very long the larvae will eat holes all though your plants and kill them slowly.
Do you mean Mosquito dunks?
I have used them in soiless with excellent results. If you are using them in hydro do you just crumble up into your rez or bucket? If not please explain how you use them. Do you use the SM-90 in the water as well?
Thanks, negative.
Link to my completed GG#4(Chems Sis X Sour Dub X Chocolate Diesel) and mixed strain grow diary.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=329541
Link to my completed Northern Lights & Chemdog grow diary.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....54#post5714154
Link to my completed Super Silver Goo(Afgooey X SSHaze) grow diary.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=250183
Link to my completed MKUltra(OG Kush X G-13) grow diary. 4 runs. Also my first bagseed run here on IC.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=235661
negative37dBA is offline Quote

Old 08-04-2018, 04:12 AM #4
oakley1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemdawggy Dawg View Post
You need to get mosquito bits asap. They will kill the fly larvae. When you see the flies you have root rot at only week 3, not a good situation . Change the and Fill it higher and give them some sm90. Cool the water down to 67 or 68 if you can. If you let it go very long the larvae will eat holes all though your plants and kill them slowly.

lol 100% there is no root rot. i run a 1/2hp chiller and my water temp has never gone above 66f, can take pics of roots if youre really that interested, but assuredly, no root rot. ran peroxide all through veg, rooms temps are very VERY stable, ph is bang on, plant health is... amazing... roots are white, hairy, n happy. like i said, noticed a few... like 4-5 adult flies, and may not even be fungas gnats as the area i live in has a very high concentration of noseeums, i havent scoped the bugs but will tonight.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:43 AM #5
Chemdawggy Dawg

Chemdawggy Dawg is a jewel in the roughChemdawggy Dawg is a jewel in the roughChemdawggy Dawg is a jewel in the roughChemdawggy Dawg is a jewel in the roughChemdawggy Dawg is a jewel in the roughChemdawggy Dawg is a jewel in the rough
You've caught it early, get the mosquito bits and you should be ok. I've had that problem before. It's a serious thing. You will probably notice a smaller yield just from what you've seen. The flies are there for the smell. Those leaves are huge what is the strain? Mosquito bits are a fast acting version from the same company. Sm90 will cure minor root problems if you catch it early, both go right in the water. If you see flies on potted plants you can just sprinkle the bits on top of the medium. I would cut the bottom part off those little net pots aND take them off the clones before I vegged them out if I was you.

Last edited by Chemdawggy Dawg; 08-04-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Chemdawggy Dawg is offline Quote

Old 08-04-2018, 02:34 PM #6
GOT_BUD?

GOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to allGOT_BUD? is a name known to all
Before you go doing anything, make sure you absolutely, 100% know what bug you're dealing with.

Without closeup pictures, or pictures at all, all of us are guessing as to what you have and can't give you accurate advice.

You could be seeing sewer flies for all we know. Which would be totally fine to leave alone. They won't eat your plants.

In my grow area, I'll occasionally see a gnat or two flying around. I have no idea how they got there and I'll only see them maybe once a month. I just chalk it up to they somehow found their way into the basement.
GOT_BUD? is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:02 PM #7
bobert

bobert will become famous soon enoughbobert will become famous soon enoughbobert will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by negative37dBA View Post
Do you mean Mosquito dunks?
I have used them in soiless with excellent results. If you are using them in hydro do you just crumble up into your rez or bucket? If not please explain how you use them. Do you use the SM-90 in the water as well?
Thanks, negative.

The dunks and bits are made by the same company, Summit chemical Co. With the same active ingredient (Bti) So either or should work.

I've ran the dunks directly in my dwc buckets . Wrapped in pantyhose to keep it from breaking apart, while still able to release the Bti . It raised the ppm a little bit but it worked really good.

Never used SM-90 before but I've had success doing an area spray with goGnats or cedar oil.

Good luck
bobert is offline Quote

Old 08-08-2018, 07:46 AM #8
oakley1984

for those who were following/curious, yes confirmed as fungus gnats... ended up trying the nematodes.... success!! to those who stumble upon this thread later looking for answers, yes nematodes will work in hydro, be sure to change your res after 48hrs though.