What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LEO Article on Thermal Imaging

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
Verite said:
The reason you wont find court cases with flir used as evidence is because its expensive equipment [ the hand held cameras ] and its notorious for mistaking a furnace for a growroom. Helicopter flir isnt tuned to pick up house heat loss like the thermal cameras do. When most judges want physical evidence before a warrant a flir search doesnt give them that.

Uninformed you are...

http://www.cvs.flir.com/lawenforcement/applications/ale.cfm

EXPENSIVE!?!?! Who do you think pays for those sick cameras. If you work on the books, YOU DO! Mistaking furnace for growroom? Dude. Read into FLIR a little more.

I've had FLIR used on my home. Someone who I thought was a friend knew about me purchasing seeds. This guy is loony bin crazy, like he's on meds and shit. So we had a falling out, and called the police on me. He told them I have a massive grow and so on. One day I noticed the rumble of a helicopter (which I am attuned to) outside. So I walked into my backyard only to see a local police helicopter HOVERING about 200 feet about my house. I LOOKED AT THE DOME. I went inside, but kept hearing it. So I go back outside and I see them WAYYYYYY off in the distance. Then they make a B-line RIGHT back over my home. Slowed down, reduced altitute and hovered. At this point I began looking up at them and throwing my hands up in the air like, "What the hell are you doing?" That's how close it was over my house, I was looking at the pilots. So I begin to give them the finger and so forth. They keep making circles and scanning my home for over an HOUR.

LOL. I had nothing in the house. I NEVER TELL ANYONE WHERE MY SHIT'S AT. That's why I fucked with them. It felt so good. Grabbin my nuts and giving them the finger. I got a knock and talk the next day. LOL. I walked outside and after they asked if they could come in, I INVITED THEM! I told I smoke weed before I let them in and they said they didn't care, just if I cooperated it would save them investigating me. They were NARCS and mad laid back. One of them even commented how good it smelt in my house (cause I burn good herb). But they told me why they were there right off the bat, and knowing I was clean, I let them in. They saw my bong, papers, and a jar of weed. Prolly a little over an ounce. The only thing they wanted to do was look around, and they were'nt intrusive. Once they got in my house they even said they would leave if I got uncomfortable. But they looked in each room real quick. Checked a few closets, went in the basement, and that was that. They thanked me, APOLOGIZED for the other day. MEANING THE CHOPPER and left.

Don't GROW WHERE YOU LIVE. And NEVER TELL ANYONE!!!!!!!!!
But as far as the FLIR goes. It is super accurate. I garuntee your local PO has one on thier chopper (don't care if you live in ALASKA, KANSAS). But they are no longer allowed to just scan whatever they want now I think as of year 2000 or 01'. But if ther are investigating you, it's a useful tool for THEM.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Uninformed you are...

http://www.cvs.flir.com/lawenforcem...cations/ale.cfm

EXPENSIVE!?!?! Who do you think pays for those sick cameras. If you work on the books, YOU DO! Mistaking furnace for growroom? Dude. Read into FLIR a little more.

What are you talking about? You think local police dept have unlimited budgets? Get a clue, they barely have enough budget to cover the officers, let alone drop a hundred grand on technology thats illegal to use without a warrant.

Bottom line is if they got a warrant to flir you then you screwed up somewhere else to begin with. If Im so uniformed see if you can find a flir picture or video that was used in a growroom bust. Good luck.

UM yeah if you lived in the USA, LEO cannot fly around looking into random houses with FLIR. In order for cops to LEGALLY look into your home with FLIR a judge must sign a WARRANT based on probable cause. And on that note, probable cause is NOT based on someone narking you out..People can talk all the shi t they want. "Oh so-and-so grows pot", or "so-and-so sells pot". NOT enough for a judges signature on a warrant. LEO needs HARD evidense in order to secure a legit warrant. And yes I am aware that there are corrupt police and judges, but thats another story...

J

Joe Budden

try and vent your heat to your basement! Up your chimley, or make a fake oil heating chimley and vent it out there, but if your really paronide, cool your heat as soon or before it leaves your growroom :D

hamstring

Veteran
I would like to address the fact that there has never been a published bust using FLIR.

First off the following is my opinion and nothing more. I do hope to point out reoccurring themes you here from people who state claims like this.

I think this forum is important for all who grow and I would like to point out that if you do search on this forum you will find many members even senior members that quote”

Point out one case where a grower was busted because they were buying supplies from a grow shop you will find none”

Just because this statement is true does not mean it is not misleading at the very least.
Sure they were not busted merely on this fact but it allowed police to do further investigation. It drew attention to them and or helped the case against them. Yes, there have been cases where the FIRST bit evidence was that they frequented a grow shop and then further evidence sent them up the river.

Now I do not know that this is the same case for FLIR, but I believe that there probably are cases and the worst part is you may never know. Because as others say, “The police cannot use this evidence because they need a warrant” How right you are that’s why this evidence never shows up in court. Guess what all the other evidence; trash, ordor, etc does show up but no mention of what initially lead them to you.

In my humble opinion do not take anything pro or con to much to heart. Be careful and heed all warnings better safe than sorry. Like mum always said “Its better to be alive than right"

Last edited:

Verite

Veteran
The points of the 'misleading' statements is that if you pay attention to whats really important in grow room security you dont have to waste time being mislead to worry about dookie like helicopter FLIR and grow store visits.

The wake up call is for people that go to rediculous measures dodging FLIR and grow stores only to do silly things like toss grow evidence in the trash, have their operation reeking up the neighborhood, answer the door to whoever knocks, and tell outsiders about the grow. Those are the real things that get growers busted.

hamstring

Veteran
QUOTE=Verite] Those are the real things that get growers busted.[/QUOTE]

Agreed all points are valid. There is no 2 ways about it the basics are by far the corner stone to being safe.

I understand you want the emphasis on the things that get most in trouble and not the tantalizing stories

My point is that we should also acknowledge that the small things count. I believe we all make mistakes in our effort to grow. I think most people who grow have a story or two about how they pulled a brain fart and the less attention the better so understanding and acknowledging that both FLIR and grow shops have caused fellow growers some real pain is important. In my opinion to dismiss it would be an injustice to this forum

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
agreed, i dont think your opinion should be dismissed, and chances of this technology being used on anyone in here is pretty possible... that being that you don't fuck up anywhere else...

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
Verite said:
What are you talking about? You think local police dept have unlimited budgets? Get a clue, they barely have enough budget to cover the officers, let alone drop a hundred grand on technology thats illegal to use without a warrant.

Bottom line is if they got a warrant to flir you then you screwed up somewhere else to begin with. If Im so uniformed see if you can find a flir picture or video that was used in a growroom bust. Good luck.

LOL. Where you AT?!?!?!
Straight up, I spent an hour looking at a helicopter mouted with one of those domes giving them the finger. I KNOW FROM EXPERINECE. You prolly live in Canada. And if not all apologies. But read what I wrote. I had a crazy person call the PO on me and told them that he SAW my grow (which didn't exist) and signed an affidavit... That's what gave them reason to scan the crib.
Where I'm from EVERY POLICE CHOPPER HAS INFRARED. And some of the patrol officers carry hand held devices.
Im not trying to instill panic or shit, but I'm not giving 'misinformation'. I am VERY realistic about large scale commercial growing and the risks involved.

LOOK!. I'M ABOUY GROWIN MAD HERB AND TRYIN TO HELP OTHER STAY OUTTA TROUBLE. CAUSE I BEEN THERE! GET OFF ME. NY TILL I DIE.

B

Blunted22

i dont know if its the same thing but one fo my family memebers had like 18 plants scattered in his woods long story short one of his boys told another person happened not to like my family member told the police that he was growing mj outside....

They got a helicoptor out used thermal to identify the plants from the air (mj has a distinct thermal image when they are less the 8 ft away from each other) They busted him and like 4 of his neighbors for that shit....

All I know is what I see. I've seen police helicopters scanning a house in a neighborhood off the highway. If you believe they only looked at the one house, then ignore this article.

(We have regular helo patrols here, so you can tell by the flight pattern. They get very low and get multiple angles of the house. All police helicopters in this state have FLIR. It makes it very easy to find fleeing suspects who are hiding in the bushes or in a trash can. In my area, they usually look for grow houses after dusk, when the roofs have had some time to cool down.)

If you believe cops, in your area, have the motivation to gather intelligence without any regard for it's "viability" in court, then I hope you find some enlightenment in this article.

peace,
ebi

Last edited:

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
ARTofMAKINGfire said:
LOL. Where you AT?!?!?!
Straight up, I spent an hour looking at a helicopter mouted with one of those domes giving them the finger. I KNOW FROM EXPERINECE. You prolly live in Canada. And if not all apologies. But read what I wrote. I had a crazy person call the PO on me and told them that he SAW my grow (which didn't exist) and signed an affidavit... That's what gave them reason to scan the crib.
Where I'm from EVERY POLICE CHOPPER HAS INFRARED. And some of the patrol officers carry hand held devices.
Im not trying to instill panic or shit, but I'm not giving 'misinformation'. I am VERY realistic about large scale commercial growing and the risks involved.

LOOK!. I'M ABOUY GROWIN MAD HERB AND TRYIN TO HELP OTHER STAY OUTTA TROUBLE. CAUSE I BEEN THERE! GET OFF ME. NY TILL I DIE.

Bro, you are on Parole...they would not spend the $$ it takes to put a copter in the air, much less to hover for an hour over your house, just to search for a heat signature-- They would just rush you--
I'm not saying you are lying about what happened...just that I believe you are mistaken about why and how it went down--
My guess would be that you caught these guys attention, then proceeded to piss them off...so they run your address...get your name, and see you are on Parole...so they contact your PO...and have him give you some lame story just to :spank: you--
They do use TI to search for grows...but it is illegal as fuck, and very difficult to hide the fact if they do...Parolees are a low-budget bust, because they don't have to do any of that...they just show up and look-- I was on for over 15 years here in Cali, and I know from experience that THEY ARE NOT SHY!! lol
Peace bro-- :wave:

Verite

Veteran
My challenge still stands find me one picture or video of a helicopter flir used in a grow bust and I will concede to the gansta wannabee crowd.

With all the talk you guys got you think it would be easy for you to find plenty of those pics and vids.

Talk is cheap and so far its been nothing but lip flapping. Show me some evidence or keep on with the cheap talk.

To little 2pac, youre more than funny saying theres patrol officers running around with $10,000 handheld flir units. Should be easy to catch one with a photo since you got all those tight connections with the po-po. :muahaha:

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Verite said:
To little 2pac, youre more than funny saying theres patrol officers running around with $10,000 handheld flir units. Should be easy to catch one with a photo since you got all those tight connections with the po-po. :muahaha:

you talkin to me?