What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Light question

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
50% of the reviews for that are 1 star. That's a bad product bro. If you are going to spend that much spend the 250-300$ for a decent one. Or if you really want spend the 2,000$ for a real spectrometer and compare them :D Most "PAR" meters are just lux meters with a filter in place, they still weight yellow light too much.
I guess it all depends how much folks are willing to invest. Setting up for the 1st time is expensive (as you know). IMHO it gets you closer than a measuring tape.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I got the light because it was under a 100$ and I wanted something stronger than I already had to finish my first grow I plan on getting a high pressure sodium lights to all you hatin on me for having what I got now I'm just starting out I plan on getting better equipment I'm going to get a high pressure sodium light with a hood fan filter all that I've done a lot of research I'm not retarded I have nutrients pH meter TDS meter all the simple shit I just didn't have the money to spend on really expensive stuff yet my plants ain't perfect but I'm getting dialed in I just got my feet wet I feel like I get more criticism on here than I do advice sometimes like holy shit
Totally understandable navigating through the sea of information. However, the most significant purchase is a good light. IMHO it is the foundation for everything else to come.

Easy7

Veteran
I still find hid lghts to be the best. They have uv, penatration, good spectrum. Lot's get by with other lights. Mostly depends on the chosen growing style. I found cfl to be weak and low yeilding. Expecting not much else from led. It's a personal choice and style. Someone might have a light with a certain and specefic better spec. Yet not really dial in the grow for that spec. I just find my plants blow up more under hid. The resin benefits from the uv. Not as great or cheap as outdoor. But some folks don't like the weathered outdoor bud.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are you talking about

The light you claim is 1000 watts, or more correctly, the manufacturer claims is 1000 watts, only draws 110-120 watts at the wall according to their amazon sellers page.

LEDs do not magically multiply the power draw ten times to get the 1000 watts they are claiming. Once you account the fans also drawing power, and the driver consuming a bit of the power, you'll get roughly 100 watts for the LEDs. And I'm being generous.

The reason they say it's a 1000 watt light is because they take the total amount of power the LEDs can consume if driven correctly. And BAM, there's your 1000 watt claim.

It's marketing bullshit that you unfortunately fell for. Don't feel bad, it happens to everybody.

In comparison, I have 2 900 watt COB LED fixtures. When running full bore, they consume 935 watts at the wall each. I actually have to run them turned down because I do not have enough cooling to keep the room at an acceptable temperature. Each of those fixture cost me $1400.

I'm not saying you need to go out and drop big bucks on an LED rig to get good pot. You can get really good pot from compact fluorescents or smaller HID lighting. Like a 250 watt HPS in a econo reflector. Which I dare say would be perfect in your small tent providing you have enough airflow to keep it from getting too hot.

Unfortunately, LEDs are still new enough technology where you need to pay to play. HLG and their Quantum boards are showing surprising results, and are relatively inexpensive.

I sincerely hope I'm not coming across as too harsh about your purchase. But you can do a lot better with the money you spent on that light.

Easy7

Veteran
Totally ignore led watts over true watts. They don't sell cmh saying it's a thousand watts. The ONLY reason a light is more effeciant than it's stated watts, or at the wall watts, is due to specefic spectrums. The light just focuses energy into specefic wavelengths and fact is plants using and responding to radiations is not completely understood. It's believed some wavelengths the plant doesn't use directly, helps light penatrate deeper.

Hids bake the cake every time. Even the best led don't pentrate very well. So for sog or scrog they can work, yet with no uv. Growing a big bush it's best to use hid. Hid is cheaper and a proven science. I can't justify spending $4k on a light that grows tiny buds and restricts my growing style.

Newbie95

The light you claim is 1000 watts, or more correctly, the manufacturer claims is 1000 watts, only draws 110-120 watts at the wall according to their amazon sellers page.

LEDs do not magically multiply the power draw ten times to get the 1000 watts they are claiming. Once you account the fans also drawing power, and the driver consuming a bit of the power, you'll get roughly 100 watts for the LEDs. And I'm being generous.

The reason they say it's a 1000 watt light is because they take the total amount of power the LEDs can consume if driven correctly. And BAM, there's your 1000 watt claim.

It's marketing bullshit that you unfortunately fell for. Don't feel bad, it happens to everybody.

In comparison, I have 2 900 watt COB LED fixtures. When running full bore, they consume 935 watts at the wall each. I actually have to run them turned down because I do not have enough cooling to keep the room at an acceptable temperature. Each of those fixture cost me $1400.

I'm not saying you need to go out and drop big bucks on an LED rig to get good pot. You can get really good pot from compact fluorescents or smaller HID lighting. Like a 250 watt HPS in a econo reflector. Which I dare say would be perfect in your small tent providing you have enough airflow to keep it from getting too hot.

Unfortunately, LEDs are still new enough technology where you need to pay to play. HLG and their Quantum boards are showing surprising results, and are relatively inexpensive.

I sincerely hope I'm not coming across as too harsh about your purchase. But you can do a lot better with the money you spent on that light.

I do get what you are saying now and with in a month I'm going to have a thousand watt HPS I'm going to order it off of Amazon I have a 4 x 4 tent that I couldn't set up at first but my roommates just moved out so I'm going to use that room and now I have this tent and the small one I still need to get a fan and filter to I know I'm lacking in supplies but I work in fast food and can't afford that s*** right now the struggle is real but I'm slowly getting there right stuff. Right now I just leave my tent wide open since I don't have a fan and filter setup. And after I harvest these last two plants I'm going to only start just one of the Autos I have to hold me over in the meantime and then whenever I get everything I have some Trainwreck seeds I'm going to start

Bobby Boucher

Being poor is too expensive. Only the rich can afford to be buying and replacing cheap things. Good tools are probably the safest investment of all for those of us who are just trying to keep up.

And don't think any of us are hating on ur shit. Icmag isn't really like the other circle jerk forums where everything is "cool bro!". A lot of the shit marketed to closet growers is not very cool at all.

Shady Mafackas... Shady mafackas err wherr.. Selling shoddy grow tools is where the real money is at..

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Being poor is too expensive. Only the rich can afford to be buying and replacing cheap things. Good tools are probably the safest investment of all for those of us who are just trying to keep up.

And don't think any of us are hating on ur shit. Icmag isn't really like the other circle jerk forums where everything is "cool bro!". A lot of the shit marketed to closet growers is not very cool at all.

Shady Mafackas... Shady mafackas err wherr.. Selling shoddy grow tools is where the real money is at..
:tiphat:

Newbie95

You are right I shouldn't have made that comment. I was a little irritated by a couple of things that read. I felt like they were criticizing me more than advice I shouldn't even commented that and yes being poor is very expensive and shity but I'm almost there thank you all for the support wish me luck I'm not where I need to be but I'm not where I was at. getting closer everyday

Latest posts

Latest posts