What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ace 2018 outdoor and greenhouse grow

The Malawi x Panama is certainly very vigorous and kind of concerning. She is getting tall which normally I tie them down or supercrop them but this one grows like a tree the stem is too big and thick to bend she would just snap. Smells incredible and grows fast and sturdy just hoping she doesn't outgrow the greenhouse
picture.php

Everyone seems to be happy, the mainlined plants are staying relatively stretch free so far but long ways to go.
picture.php

orfeas

Veteran
Hey mdh, you can try snapping them tops...they're beautiful plants, growing at their own pace catching us by surprise many a time they can take a fair amount of abuse...huge side branches snapping at the base of the trunk with only a little bark for support...yet with a little bit of help up it goes no recovery time as if snapping never took place...strange plants them cannas...

:tiphat:orfeas

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Hey mdh, you can try snapping them tops...they're beautiful plants, growing at their own pace catching us by surprise many a time they can take a fair amount of abuse...huge side branches snapping at the base of the trunk with only a little bark for support...yet with a little bit of help up it goes no recovery time as if snapping never took place...strange plants them cannas...

:tiphat:orfeas

I agree. You can bend branches until they are creased and folded. As long as the branch hasn't detached and most of the inner fibres are still intact, it should be fine.
Below is a picture of a bend/snap I performed on a NepJam two years ago. You can see where the I forcefully bent the main stem. It was a purposeful slow bend that I then tied to a brick so it stayed in place. It healed very quickly and the plants height was dramatically reduced. It's a good method.

picture.php

I am no stranger to super cropping and have actually done it to several of the plants in there most sativas are perfect for it but this one is just so sturdy I can't really bend it it would snap like a stick, I have made that mistake on a few sturdy plants trying to do that and would like to keep that beauty intact if possible so might try a slow bend over the course of a few days still got a couple feet of head space

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Hi!
I got my leonardite:

attachment.php

Looks coarse due to humidity, it is a very fine powder that "melts" instantly darkening it when touching damp soil.

Will prepare the soil for repotting the outdoor plants and leave it maturing in the meanwhile, couple weeks I guess.

Farmerlion, do you make a heap and let maturing there, or will mixing everything on a e.g. bucket, throw some worms in and leave it there?

Do you take preventive measures to "protect" the plants from pests? neem oil?

Wow moderndayhippie, that greenhouse looks incredible!

To supercrop woody stems you can use a pair of pliers, put a rag or something on the stem, then carefully crush it. You may just crush it for her to heal (will stop stretch on that branch) or may go a little more and bend after crushing after the stem is pliable enough.

Attachments

• Leonardite.jpg
    Leonardite.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hi!
I got my leonardite:

View Image

Looks coarse due to humidity, it is a very fine powder that "melts" instantly darkening it when touching damp soil.

Will prepare the soil for repotting the outdoor plants and leave it maturing in the meanwhile, couple weeks I guess.

Farmerlion, do you make a heap and let maturing there, or will mixing everything on a e.g. bucket, throw some worms in and leave it there?

Do you take preventive measures to "protect" the plants from pests? neem oil?

Wow moderndayhippie, that greenhouse looks incredible!

To supercrop woody stems you can use a pair of pliers, put a rag or something on the stem, then carefully crush it. You may just crush it for her to heal (will stop stretch on that branch) or may go a little more and bend after crushing after the stem is pliable enough.
I have never tried that technique I will keep that in mind if she keeps going. Not sure if you were asking me about the neem oil but yes I do use it i spray hem a couple times a week usually keep the mealy bugs away.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Bufff.. have a Malawi going (training in veg) and flowering tent is already crammed...

I started training it the moment started stretching the fourth node, stems are more pliable at that stage, I look forward an horizontal main/secondary stems, so that once in flower it grows vertical branches from it, usually the younger ones, that are easier to supercrop and bend.

Re: neem and preventive measures: Asking everyone :) thanks!

I am concerned due to the amount of bugs here, once rains go away they're gonna explode, really wild around here.

Bufff.. have a Malawi going (training in veg) and flowering tent is already crammed...

I started training it the moment started stretching the fourth node, stems are more pliable at that stage, I look forward an horizontal main/secondary stems, so that once in flower it grows vertical branches from it, usually the younger ones, that are easier to supercrop and bend.

Re: neem and preventive measures: Asking everyone :) thanks!

I am concerned due to the amount of bugs here, once rains go away they're gonna explode, really wild around here.
I hear you on the younger ones being easier to train, most of my sativas were mainlined from a young age to keep them manageable and was planning on doing that with this one as well but got lazy and it quickly outgrow the size that made it worth doing.

Neem works great for bugs, spray top and bottom of all leaves with a Castile soap and neem oil mix. Use neem cake at the base of your plants to keep bugs from crawling up out of the dirt, I will also spray BT
starting in a few weeks to keep caterpillars off them as well, plenty of good organic ways to keep them under control but always start before there is an issue.

Just beautiful MDH, is digging a whole to drop that Mal/Pan into not an option possibly gaining an extra foot and half or so..? Position it at a 45 degree angle..? Way to promising to supercrop at this point ... much Respect brother..!!

Last edited:
Just beautiful MDH, is digging a whole to drop that Mal/Pan into not an option possibly gaining an extra foot and half or so..? Position it at a 45 degree angle..? Way to promising to supercrop at this point ... much Respect brother..!!

Yeah I guess a hole would definitely add some head space probabaly a good option if it needs it thank you.

Got a light frost last night greenhouse was fine, outdoor plants were not super happy first thing this morning but they look good now with warmer air and some sun.
EBH
picture.php

Pck x Erdpurt
picture.php

Greenhouse is looking good, I rearranged the plants so strains are together, removed a couple males still waiting on the haze to show but everything else is confirmed females, 5 GT, 3 Zamaldelica trippy, 2 Zamaldelica regular, 2 mal x pan, 1 Panama, 1 pan x mal, and the 7 unsexed OTH
picture.php

Here's the three Zamaldelica trippy, the one in the front and the one on the left were both mainlined and are absolute monsters, the back right one is a clone from one I sexed a couple months ago and how sativa looking it's leaves are I have a feeling thats the pheno I am looking for.
picture.php

Here's a few of the OTH they seem happy who knows when they will show sex I am hoping with the next 2 weeks or so but I've never grown anything like that so I will be patient.
picture.php

gorilla ganja

Everything is looking great. If I were you I would be figuring out how to raise that greenhouse a few feet. I can see you running into problems soon. When are you starting the light dep?

Peace GG

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Hey Moderndayhippy, please accept my excuses for my rather rude irruption on the thread, I just realized I messed it big, really mixed up, replying directly into your thread what was intended for other(s)... sorry about that, I was completely lost!.

I`ve read the thread from begginning to end now and apart from the embarrasment :spanky: I've drooled over your setup and mastery on main-lining, planning indoor / outdoor....

Really envious on your sick setup! Please keep pictures coming! :tiphat: really sorry.

I share general concern regarding outgrowing the greenhouse...

Last edited:
Hey Moderndayhippie, please accept my excuses for my rather rude irruption on the thread, I just realized I messed it big, really mixed up, replying directly into your thread what was intended for other(s)... sorry about that, I was completely lost!.

I`ve read the thread from begginning to end now and apart from the embarrasment :spanky: I've drooled over your setup and mastery on main-lining, planning indoor / outdoor....

Really envious on your sick setup! Please keep pictures coming! :tiphat: really sorry.

I share general concern regarding outgrowing the greenhouse...
Haha no worries at all I wouldn't be blaming you anyways if I cared, all the blame goes to Dubi for making these fantastic sativas that cause us to space out and click on the wrong thing.

Thank you for the kind words, and GG my greenhouse is set on 11/13 all summer so they have been flipped since I put them in full time on May 1st. Raising the greenhouse is not an option, don't have the time knowledge or ability to pull something like that off but someone suggested earlier digging the pots into the ground if I run out of space, we will see. My hope is since most of them have been mainlined that will control the stretch somewhat but I've never mainlined before and never tried to veg sativas as big as these are so this is also a learning experiment.

Been really lucky with the weather this spring lots of sun, little bit chilly but the greenhouse is always plenty warm. Last May we got 27 days of rain so it's really nice to see my first light dep run actually growing unlike last spring.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I love all the sativa ladies. I didn't have light departure on mine. I ran out of summer, could've used a few more weeks of fall. Best of luck. I'm enjoying the show. Peace

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
ModernDayHippy said:
Haha no worries at all I wouldn't be blaming you anyways if I cared, all the blame goes to Dubi for making these fantastic sativas that cause us to space out and click on the wrong thing.

hahah… you're right! :tiphat: :)

Really curious about your greenhouse light dep system.

I see two moving covers, one transparent and the light dep one, the black one.

Do you usually open the transparent one? or just for ventilation?

What about the light dep one, does it extends until ground, or there's always a gap from it to ground? How much does it retract when "daylight is on"?

Crazy ideas are crossing my mind including motors and arduino/Rpi...

hahah… you're right! :tiphat: :)

Really curious about your greenhouse light dep system.

I see two moving covers, one transparent and the light dep one, the black one.

Do you usually open the transparent one? or just for ventilation?

What about the light dep one, does it extends until ground, or there's always a gap from it to ground? How much does it retract when "daylight is on"?

Crazy ideas are crossing my mind including motors and arduino/Rpi...
So there's the regular greenhouse plastic, that is on a hand crank I can raise and lower it however I want to control temperature. This time of year I will usually lower it in the morning and then raise it up as it gets warmer, mid summer it basically just stays up unless we get a rainy day I will close it so I can run dehumidifiers inside keep the humidity down.

The light dep cover is attached to a bar at the top of the greenhouse, it rolls up both sides to within an inch or so of that bar at 7:30 AM so virtually no shadow from it in the greenhouse. it rolls back down at 6:30 PM and it goes all the way to the ground.

I've seen all the light deprivation pieces sold separately you would need two motors with metal bars, light dep plastic and a control box, someone handy and creative could definitely put one together from scratch.