What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

fabric pots- do they work??

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
about to transplant my girls from 1 gallon pots into their permanent home. i bought some 5gallon fabric pots, which next to home depot 5gallon buckets look to be maybe 3 1/2 gallons... in any case do they work??? i have 2 clones from the same mum , one will go in plastic, one in fabric ... but if fabric are a waste, i'll shit-can em and go with HD 5gallon buckets....:tiphat::tiphat:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yup, they work.

They’re just floppy containers & if you already bought them, why not test their results.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I used them with no problem but what I didn't like was the fact that the fabric gets damp and grows mold on the outside.

This didn't affect the end result or cause any issues.:tiphat:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Yup, they work.

They’re just floppy containers & if you already bought them, why not test their results.

yep that's what I will do with my '2' sour diesel kush girls- one in plastic, one in fabric - both off same mum, same size/etc...

and I will watch for mold on the outside of the fabric pots:tiphat::tiphat:

MrBungle

Fabric pots allow more air to the root zone, and prevent roots from circling onto themselves thru a process called air pruning... basically the root pokes thru the fabric, and dries out at the tip, causing the root to split into smaller roots, which turns the root system into a soft fibrous sponge like system, instead of a gnarly rootbound ball of roots...

The major difference between the fabric pot and hard sided pot is the watering frequency... watch how often you need to water, and focus the majority of the water to the sides of the pots, as they dry out faster than the inner portion

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Fabric pots allow more air to the root zone, and prevent roots from circling onto themselves thru a process called air pruning... basically the root pokes thru the fabric, and dries out at the tip, causing the root to split into smaller roots, which turns the root system into a soft fibrous sponge like system, instead of a gnarly rootbound ball of roots...

The major difference between the fabric pot and hard sided pot is the watering frequency... watch how often you need to water, and focus the majority of the water to the sides of the pots, as they dry out faster than the inner portion

many thanks... transplanted this morn...:):)

M

meowmeowmeow

100% love'em....Spring Pots or Smart Pots use them instead of plastic.

Goats

they seem to be working well for me. i am using them with coco in flood and drain. no issues at all.

SweetoTooth

I'm using 3 gal root pouches and I find that they work great. Nearing then end of flower so curious to see the rootball once they're chopped. The idea is that as the roots reach the sides of the pots the exposure to more air helps prune them a direct shoots back into the nutrient rich areas in the pot. Handles make em easier to move too!

- SweetTooth

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
it been 6 days since the transplant- they were well h2O"d when moved into their final home- a mixture of fox farms
60% ocean forrest
20% salamander
15% compost
5% perlite

i watered them yesterday, tho could have probably gone another day or so without watering-

no diff (yet??) between the sdkush in fabric and plastic, but its only 1 week- the lites have been dimming from the start... 22hrs, 20hrs, 18hrs..now at 15hrs- will be at 12/12 later this week..
tent temp's during the day low 70's, at nite low 50's- will get the nite temps up by turning on the heat-

at around 3bucks a bag to buy, does it make sense to make em??- the material + glue must be nearto 10bucks + your time...

MrBungle

I picked up 25 3 gal root pouches for 40 bucks.. That works out to about 1.60 a piece...

They have bundles of most sizes up to 10 gal I believe on the zon....

They are reusable... I recommend using a shop vac to clean the residual dirt, after you pull the root ball out of the bag.... and you can soak em if you want... but I usually don't, I just reuse em..

If you want to transplant from a fabric pot... squeeze the side walls of the fabric pot to loosen the dirt from the bag,
then gently pull the bottom of the bag from the roots with one hand, while holding the bag/plant at a slight angle over your transplant bag...
Once the bag is loose slide your support hand up from the bag to hold in the dirt at the top, and support the main stem, as the bottom hand slides the bag off the root ball, and out of the way.... Sounds kinda complicated, but after a few times it will be easy to have the concept down.

I also forgot to mention that I always use a saucer under my fabric pots, to soak up the nutes that fall through the sides of the pot, otherwise watering will be an almost every day thing...

G

Im using them right now for the first time. Seems to be the shit. I got the square ones supposedly. They pretty much turned round but its OK. I got 7 gallon ones from Gro-Pro. They actually hold over 9 gallons of soil. I went bigger this one to hopefully make more good stuff available to the plants. No mold I can see but I keep my air moving and not a lot of runoff from the pots. Do have some salt type stuff on the bottom.
I am considering rinsing them in a sink when done and a delicate cycle in the washer with no soap. Gonna need them again in a few weeks.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Im using them right now for the first time. Seems to be the shit. I got the square ones supposedly. They pretty much turned round but its OK. I got 7 gallon ones from Gro-Pro. They actually hold over 9 gallons of soil.

i got 5gallon , and putting them next to HD 5gall buckets, they seem to be 3 1/2, maybe 3.75 gallon- def look smaller...my next buy will be 7gallon pots... rather have more space then less...

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

tiphat.gif
Give this man a cigar :)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
i got 5gallon , and putting them next to HD 5gall buckets, they seem to be 3 1/2, maybe 3.75 gallon- def look smaller...my next buy will be 7gallon pots... rather have more space then less...
Although they seem smaller (height) than a 5gal pot, they have a larger capacity because of their diameter (larger than plastic)

Coming from the bonsai world it is desirable to use shallow pots vice deep pots. The larger surface area = drying faster = happy trees/plants. I could go technical here but, no need to. Google is our friend :)

Latest posts

Latest posts