What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pro mix

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
I'm paying ~$25 per bale. BX and extra perlite is all I need!
Pro mix BX has dolomite and calcitic lime in it already.

E

emerald city

I have a local store buy it [promix hp] by the pallet..I work a deal with management to buy "x" number of bales per year and work a price from there...Im farmer/landscaper so my volume may excede what others use.....Last year i was able to sell bales of the "hp" for 25$ cash/tax included.....Any Maine-iac's interested for this season -shoot me a pm.

FlaDankster

Veteran
Some of you guys get a fair deal.....$25 sounds great.

I don't get why some of you get the BX and add perlite.The HP(high porosity)is the same as the BX just with more perlite.

Grapeman any special reason you only add the kelp?

NSPB

Fredcdobbs:

I remember you asking in a different section of the forum about different soil mixes...

At that time, I mentioned you try using Pro Mix Bx. Essentially, Pro Mix is peat moss, perlite, and beneficial bacteria...maybe a wetting agent of some sort.

I also suggested a very basic and SUPER easy formula for you to follow:

1/2 bale Pro Mix
1 bag FFOF
1 cup blood
1 cup bone
1 cup lime
1 cup EWC

This will give you close to 30 gallons of medium that is fully amended and will carry your plants their entire life cycle with just minimal adjustments depending on the strains you run in your garden. (credit for the above mix goes to Phillthy and in part to BlazeOneUp)

NSPB

D

driftersmokinjo

Some of you guys get a fair deal.....$25 sounds great.

I don't get why some of you get the BX and add perlite.The HP(high porosity)is the same as the BX just with more perlite.

I buy the bx at $48 a bag. Got a huge bag of perlite for $18. Mix 2/3 bx 1/3 perlite. My reason is makes my dollar go farther while filling more buckets. I have been useing the same mixture for 4 runs now and still havent had to amend with the lime I bought at the same time as everything ells. When I harvest 1 I pull it from the bucket and chunk the stalk and bx mix/roots in the pile and give it a role every few days. When i need to fill a bucket I just scoop some out and give it a ph test before putting in the plant. having no issues. I use gh flora nova some 3 part, some Lucas and just starting a side by side with Rezdog's 2part method. But have a 25lb bag of dolomite just incase I need it:tiphat: I forgot to add that after the stalks and main root ball brake loose i remove them

Last edited:

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
i know everyone is saying that you need to add lime into your promix, and i am probably going to get shit for this, but i was having ph problems for the longest time. i got rid of the dolomite lime, and now my plants are happier then ever. my ph was just way too high with any lime in the mix. the new bags of bx with the myco say that lime does not need to be added. hopefully that can help some people out.

aod

NSPB

Is Promix mainly peat??

Yes. Mostly.

i know everyone is saying that you need to add lime into your promix, and i am probably going to get shit for this, but i was having ph problems for the longest time. i got rid of the dolomite lime, and now my plants are happier then ever. my ph was just way too high with any lime in the mix. the new bags of bx with the myco say that lime does not need to be added. hopefully that can help some people out.

aod

The extra lime in the recipe I listed IS necessary. (just to sort any confusion that may occur) This is primarily because you are adding more medium (another cubic foot) and not using just plain Pro Mix.

NSPB

Wise

The extra lime in the recipe I listed IS necessary. (just to sort any confusion that may occur) This is primarily because you are adding more medium (another cubic foot) and not using just plain Pro Mix.
My lime is in pebble form. I need to crush it, right?

rudestar

Have tried for years to find Pro Mix potting soil in my state here in the NE. Been to the only distributor listed by Pro Mix and he had no desire to sell to a hobby grower and the list of retailers they gave me never heard of it. ( I don't think he has any of it )
With the poor quality control of Miracle Grow being moldy and bark/wood filled I tried a bale of Valfei VM-1 from Canada. The stuff was bone dry and packed into a brick that went airborne when broken up. Used it in 1 quart pots for transplanted seedlings. Many had the lower leaves dry up, when transplanted again a month later the bottom inch of most pots was still bone dry with three inches of wet soil above. It is so fine that the fans blow it out of the pots and it travels all over coating everything with brown dust. Back to the moldy Miracle Grow. Any suggestions on additions to it?

D

driftersmokinjo

Have tried for years to find Pro Mix potting soil in my state here in the NE. Been to the only distributor listed by Pro Mix and he had no desire to sell to a hobby grower and the list of retailers they gave me never heard of it. ( I don't think he has any of it )
With the poor quality control of Miracle Grow being moldy and bark/wood filled I tried a bale of Valfei VM-1 from Canada. The stuff was bone dry and packed into a brick that went airborne when broken up. Used it in 1 quart pots for transplanted seedlings. Many had the lower leaves dry up, when transplanted again a month later the bottom inch of most pots was still bone dry with three inches of wet soil above. It is so fine that the fans blow it out of the pots and it travels all over coating everything with brown dust. Back to the moldy Miracle Grow. Any suggestions on additions to it?
maybe you should try lows or home depot. find someone in the garden center and see if they can order it. Talk like you need a pallet or 2. if they say yes just tell them you will have to put some numbers together and get back with them. if the say they cant get it no loss. if they can come back in a week or to and see if they can just order how many bales you want. has worked for me with other things at other places.

Chem&M

I think so. Out of every medium I've used (rockwool, coco, hydroton, roots, FFOF, etc.) it preforms best. As I stated before I use BX with lots of added perilite #4.

I love promix, Here's my recipe...

1 part promix
1 part EWC
1 part compost (generic from home depot)
1 part perlite
1 part vermeculite

And I add 1/3 cup of lime to every 10 gallons of this mix.

I love promix, Here's my recipe...

1 part promix
1 part EWC
1 part compost (generic from home depot)
1 part perlite
1 part vermeculite

And I add 1/3 cup of lime to every 10 gallons of this mix.

Also, I add vermeculite to keep it more evenly moist in my 12gal sub-irrigated grow boxes. Just in case anyone was wondering ;)

I have BX and HP going and i'm preferring the HP due to faster drainage.

If you guys don't mind what do you guys pay for a bail where you are?$40 plus tax for me.Not to bad.

$40-45 @ at all the ass-rape growshops around here, however there is a seasonal nursery that.......... get this.......... sells it for retail!!!!!!! $29.95 (USD)

I actually bought a bail at the growshop recently, I tried to get a better price and the guy started telling me how they can barely make money selling it for what they are. I bit my tounge for obvious reasons, but I really wish I pointed out that he is selling it for 35% OVER RETAIL & if he can't make money doing that he should hire someone less incompetent to run the business.

For those in the US, Ace Hardware can order it for you (Actually I think you can do it online & pickup instore as well) and they charge LESS than MSRP, it's like $26/bail :)

FlaDankster

Veteran
Ahhhhhh........didn't know that about Ace Hardware.It seems like all the $40 and above come from the ass raping hydro shops.But i still feel that $40 for 3.8 cf of medium isn't "toooo" bad but lower prices always sound better for the broke fellas like me.

Thanks for the tip on Ace Leroy!

DID ALL YOU GUYS SEE THAT?

CHECK OUT ACE HARDWARE COMPLIMENTS OF LEROY BROWN!

Latest posts

Latest posts