What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pro mix

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
Hello fellow Icmag member, I used pro mix but Im a first timer with this stuff but loving it so far, i been growing in soilless medium for a while now and I find that i dont need to add anything in there when i used my 3part GH formula it has tons of perlite good drainage.. the only thing is more pricy that what i've used.. we'll the proof is in the puff ;)
whats EWC>? sry super high over here...

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
Instead of promix BX get the promix HP high porosity a lot more perlite, very good drainage

PistilPete

Enjoying the ride
ICMag Donor
Veteran
EWC = earthworm castings.

Promix with some EWC, perlite, a bit of guano or bone and blood and you're all set.

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
EWC earth worm castings are a great addition to the base soil mix. My soil ratio is 2/3s promix hp and 1/3 EWC.. keeps those bitches nice lush green

F

ForbiddenFruit

Pro mix BX, does need to be amended with extra perlite, because it tends to be a little soggy alone, and needs further aeration.

I haven't tried amending pro-mix with EWC, but have thought about it, I can imagine it helps kick start the first few weeks of growth.

If you have a solid water based nutrient program ready to go, then all you need is some extra perlite added to the BX.

i was, until i saw this: http://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Soil-Guide#Product Information in North America

i have thrown it all out and repotted in just miracle grow now. however here is what you can do to the promix from a guy who knows : resnrubr
Quote:
Easy Organic Soil mix: adapted and revised by ResinRubber from “Vic’s Super Soil mix” originally posted on OverGrow as contributed by the BC Growers Association.

1 Bag Promix (4 cu ft)
6 cups Bone Meal - phosphorus source
2 cups Blood Meal - nitrogen source (as an expense saver 6 cups Bone/Blood meal mix may be substituted with varied success depending upon mix ratio)
1 cup Epsom salts - magnesium source
3 cups dolomite lime -calcium source & pH buffering
2 cups fish/seaweed emulsion – micro nutrients, amino acids, nitrogen, phosphorus potassium
Optional, but highly recommended especially for organic growers, is a mycorrhizal innoculant. Whatever brand you choose, be sure the spore count is above 60 per 50ml and it contains no fertilizer additives.

Mix thoroughly, moisten before use. To gain the full benefit of a living soil it’s best to wait 1-2 weeks after moistening to use.

Per 1 cubic foot of mix

1.5 cups Bone Meal - phosphorus source
.5 cups Blood Meal - nitrogen source (as an expense saver 1.5 cups Bone/Blood meal mix may be substituted with varied success depending upon mix ratio)
1/4 cup Epsom salts - magnesium source
3/4 cups dolomite lime -calcium source & pH buffering
.5 cups fish/seaweed emulsion – micro nutrients, amino acids, nitrogen, phosphorus potassium"

have fun.

Promix...wcastings.... & 1/4 foxfarm oceanforest (when i can afford it).... even just plain promix hp will do fantastic if you have a good nutrient/feeding program... best of luck..

t2

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Here's my soil mix. 50% promix, 25% EWC, 25% perlite, 2 TBSP of dolomite lime per gallon. I fert organic with Liq Karma PBP gro & bloom. I do well. Did I say blackstrap molasses?

Last edited:

777chronic

hey.
this is my third small grow in four years.
for all i've used promix.
my first grow i added all the stuff above, ewc, bone meal...i seemed to have more issues than my current grow.

this time i bought several bags of promix from lowes and put them in containers.
added seeds.
feed with GH Floranova grow. (1/4 strength every watering, it automatically adjusts the ph so no worries about that one).
i use tap water left in a bucket for 24 hours.
i just went to flower last night, no issues at all.

i've only used the GH Floranova grow and just started using the Floranova bloom...with a bit of FLORALICIOUS and a bit of cal-mag.
i have almost 2 foot monsters in veg and i call tell this is going to be a good one.

keep it simple. this is easier than people make it out to be.

here is a pic of the type of promix i'm using...
http://www.tindaraorchids.com/images/supplies/premier_pro_mix.jpg

Chem&M

I think the BX is better, because if you add more perilite, it has the drainage of the HP, but also has the Myco in the BX.

FlaDankster

Veteran
I have BX and HP going and i'm preferring the HP due to faster drainage.

If you guys don't mind what do you guys pay for a bail where you are?$40 plus tax for me.Not to bad.

And do most of you amend with lime or run straight out da bag?Half tbsp per gl i add.

Last edited:

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
I pay $28 at the local feed and seed for BX. You're getting reamed.
50% BX, 25% EWC, 25% perlite, dolomite lime (guano, bone and blood meal are optional based on your nutes).
Nuff said.

muddywaters

i run the hp, it cost 40 at the local grow store but i have gotten it cheaper at other stores but there a lil further way.

compost

I am currently using that with 50% southern states that uses vermiculite and coir instead of perlite. I recycle my grow dirt into my garden and when it gets to much rain I watch the perlite wash away. For security I would like something like promix without the perlite or starting ferts that the southern states has.

grapeman

Veteran
I'm pretty much like Hank.

ProMix HP - EWC - a little extra #3 perlite, a bit of kelp meal and 1 cup of dolomite lime per cf of the total mix.

If you add the dolomite lime, you'll avoid a lot of potential problems.