What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Leaf Issue - Curled Borders

Muarco

Veteran
Hello fellow growers. I'm writing in regard of some issues I believe to be experiencing with my plant. The lil' one is a bag seed I opted to plant in a generic substratum and that's now approaching the second week of life from seed. I've been watering every 2-3 days (~300ml) and nebulizing with plain water every day. The plant is been grown partially outdoor and partially indoor in order to provide 18 full hours of light in a day. Inside I'm using a MH 150W lamp with temperatures oscillating between 28-31°C and 40-50%RH. The plant is potted in a 9.5L pot and the soil is by no means pre-fertilized. Sporadically, I've been adding citric acid (home-made lemon juice) in small doses to correct my tap water pH that comes out at 7.8pH.
I've noticed over the last days that the plant is showing slightly curled leaf borders and that even during daytime the leaves tend to be saggy. I attach some pictures of the lady and hope someone will be able to help target the issue.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Best regards and keep on growing,

Muarco :tiphat:

P.S.: I believe the white residues to be caused by some chorine present in my tap water.

NEED 4 SEED

Hey I think they look great. The leaf curling could be a sign of unwanted lights in the night or changes in the light cycle generally.

troutman

Seed Whore
Use rain or distilled water to wash off that white leaf residue. :tiphat:

Leaf curling can be fast changes in humidity too.

Muarco

Veteran
Thanks to everyone for the much appreciated replies. I'll try to secure those babies a darker environment for the night. Regarding the humidity, I currently don't have a humidifier in my setup so the humidity it's currently dictated by outdoor conditions and my indoor lamp.

Muarco

Veteran
Nitrogen Deficit?

Nitrogen Deficit?

Hi everyone, once again I've a question regarding this baby. I noticed that the bottom leaves are starting to yellow out. I believe it can be caused by a Nitrogen deficiency. I'm just looking for confirmation and perhaps a method to repair this condition.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Thanks to everyone for the much appreciated replies. I'll try to secure those babies a darker environment for the night. Regarding the humidity, I currently don't have a humidifier in my setup so the humidity it's currently dictated by outdoor conditions and my indoor lamp.
A humidifier is a must for indoor grows, as well as a de-humidifier. There is no other way to dial in your VPD (vapour pressure deficit.) Trust me :) you can grow without them but, not without major issues.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Hi everyone, once again I've a question regarding this baby. I noticed that the bottom leaves are starting to yellow out. I believe it can be caused by a Nitrogen deficiency. I'm just looking for confirmation and perhaps a method to repair this condition.
View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image
Nitrogen is mobile. I would remove the bottom leaves and see if it progresses up the plant. You will find out about this in short order. It could also mean you might have PH issues, locking out N. What is your watering PH?

Muarco

Veteran
Nitrogen is mobile. I would remove the bottom leaves and see if it progresses up the plant. You will find out about this in short order. It could also mean you might have PH issues, locking out N. What is your watering PH?

I'm not checking for pH. My tap water is at 7.8pH. I lower the pH with some drops of lemon juice. I gave some ox blood to provide more nitrogen. Currently planning on switching to bottled mineral water which has a pH of 6.2. This should allow me regulate the pH without using a tester. The I used for this plant is a generic gardening soil so might have issues in retaining the pH at an optimal level. Although I'm planning to transplant soon as the pot is just 9.5lt and it's a regular strain.

Could it be over watering as well? I'm giving around 300ml of water daily but over here it's also damn hot in the last days. Temperatures reaching 35°C outdoor so I'm trying to spray water as often as possible and provide a good irrigation daily. Currently giving only ox blood and Silic Boost.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
picture.php

As a neophyte myself, growing cannabis is not as easy as saying Jackie Robinson and, in my humble opinion you are winging it. Get by yourself a decent book and start reading. (great troubleshooting guide = worth the price of admission)

Your PH is out of wack. It should be between 6.3 to 6.8, 6.5 preferred. That being said, swinging your PH between the 2 numbers is better. At 7.8 you might just have a N lock out. Adding more N won't solve your issue.

Bottled mineral water. What is that?

Don't want to use instruments! = Winging it. You may not buy all the tools but at a minimum you need a PH tester for soil and a TDS meter if you are growing in hydro.

PS: Don't need to buy a book, but, you definitely need to do research on the WWW. There are some great articles written avail to us. All you have to do is research them, by goggling the same Qs as here.

Wish you all the best but, unless you change your approach, you are in for major headaches! :tiphat:

Muarco

Veteran
View Image

As a neophyte myself, growing cannabis is not as easy as saying Jackie Robinson and, in my humble opinion you are winging it. Get by yourself a decent book and start reading. (great troubleshooting guide = worth the price of admission)

Your PH is out of wack. It should be between 6.3 to 6.8, 6.5 preferred. That being said, swinging your PH between the 2 numbers is better. At 7.8 you might just have a N lock out. Adding more N won't solve your issue.

Bottled mineral water. What is that?

Don't want to use instruments! = Winging it. You may not buy all the tools but at a minimum you need a PH tester for soil and a TDS meter if you are growing in hydro.

PS: Don't need to buy a book, but, you definitely need to do research on the WWW. There are some great articles written avail to us. All you have to do is research them, by goggling the same Qs as here.

Wish you all the best but, unless you change your approach, you are in for major headaches! :tiphat:
Thanks for your reply. I'm on my third cycle at the moment and haven't had any issues in the past. I know many people that don't check for their pH and still get away with it. For sure it's harder to troubleshoot an issue but despite everything, cannabis is a quite strong plant and I'm not competing in the Cannabis Cup :biggrin:

I did my good dose of research in the last 5 years of growing and that's why I was able to pin down the deficiency to Nitrogen. Bottled water it's just the type of water that we drink here in The Netherlands and Europe.

I'm hoping the deficiency will disappear with the precautions I'm taking, otherwise I'll definitely go with a pH tester.

Thanks for your suggestions buddy, have a good one!

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Well I guess my presumptions were wrong. Understandably, Eng may not be your native language, but the way you posted your woes, indicated otherwise e.g somebody who just started.

MrMMJ

RO water and a PH/EC meter (a good quality one, properly stored and calibrated often!) will put you far ahead from the beginning on your path to diagnosing/preventing issues. High ph and nute levels lead to lock outs. A plant that size shouldn't need extra feed already. Overly moist soil limits N absorption. Knowing the actual input and run-off is valuable information. Allow the medium to swing from moist to semi-dry. I would give it to a good flush until run-off is at the target PH, then allow it to dry before wetting again with plain, proper ph water . I'd cut off those first leaves, no need for branching that low.

High ph + high ec + high moisture = stunted "bonsai" looking new growth and curled leaf margins. Good luck !

Muarco

Veteran
Something it's starting to show up on the higher leaves but definitely it's not an N deficit.

Any insight?
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Muarco

Veteran
RO water and a PH/EC meter (a good quality one, properly stored and calibrated often!) will put you far ahead from the beginning on your path to diagnosing/preventing issues. High ph and nute levels lead to lock outs. A plant that size shouldn't need extra feed already. Overly moist soil limits N absorption. Knowing the actual input and run-off is valuable information. Allow the medium to swing from moist to semi-dry. I would give it to a good flush until run-off is at the target PH, then allow it to dry before wetting again with plain, proper ph water . I'd cut off those first leaves, no need for branching that low.

High ph + high ec + high moisture = stunted "bonsai" looking new growth and curled leaf margins. Good luck !

I just irrigated yesterday so the soil is still moist. I would rather wait a little before watering again just to avoid suffocating the roots.

I wanted to see how the decoloration would progress and it's definitely something related to N but the other leaf look like burned or dry...

moonymonkey

looks like some over watering..let it dry out btween watetings and use a 8 oz cup to water it with instead of jugs dries faster plant grows faster.but you still have to let it dry out first,thecup trick makes big plants real fast.peacemm/golenboy:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts