What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Blueberry Trials

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nute burn. Soil is too hot. All of them showing it, that one just a little more sensitive.

I'm not seeing it on the first two. The runt, maybe. The mutant very well could be. I'm thinking some sort of lockout myself.

This is the second round for this soil, and the previous plants were beautiful, even if they were males. I lightly re amended it with approximately a one inch layer of fresh compost, fresh vermicompost, and a cup of KIS organics nutrient pack (found here ) all blended together, then covered with a new layer of straw.

I've been watering with an ACT consisting of 16oz. of fresh vermicompost, 2 scoops of Easy Weed, 1 T of blackstrap molasses, 2ml of Mammoth P, and 4.5 - 5 gallons of RO H2O, depending on what my airlift needs to run correctly. Then that gets cut 1:1 with fresh RO water when I water the plants. And I've recently been adding shredded Willow Tree Bark to the tea while brewing, but don't think it does a whole lot. So I'll probably discontinue it's use when I use up my supply.

All of my plants get that, and only the one plant looks like it does.

Maybe the soil in that pot is a bit hot, and the plant is just a touch more sensitive. I've got a BMR that's overly sensitive to N. It leaves are constantly clawed while her sister looks fantastic living in the same bed.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Morning icmag fam!

Making good progress on the room. Getting supplies together. Everything new for this project.

Glad to see people running blue lines! OTM is one I've had on my list for awhile but never got around to it. Nice looking plants!

Someone mentioned Skywalker. I grew out a few hundred Skywalker seeds and picked the best female. It was a very dark blue flower that smelled of berries and tasted blueberry with a heavy hash finish. Very potent. Nice plant but the effect was just stupifying, nothing remarkable. Just stoned to the bone. Fifty fifty on people's responses so she got the bin. Not sure seeds are available anymore.

@MMeds, pm sent. That Blue Heaven was awesome effect wise. Each plant was different. Your Blue Star has to be amazing, the work you have put in is awesome! I'm so glad to hear DJ is working the old stock, some amazing genetics! I pm'd DJ but no word. I'm sure he's a busy guy. Best vibes MM!

The Digiberry is here safe and sound, thank you VG!!

Thanks everyone for the responses and sharing pics, info, and beans.

This is going to be good..stay toasty friends!

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The otm line is full of mutants, some come out normal looking though.

The last one i grew was like a red wine almost, a high that comes on very subtle and is warm and forgiving, even through a bong. I can see why they say its a go to strain for anxiety.

Seems like it might be fun to breed with, very unique.

Ncali

Veteran
Last pic has that crinkle on the leaf, that is that weird genetic thing. But, it does look like some nute burn in addition to that. Some of the blue gear you gotta run 2, 3, 4 times to dial in, it can be finicky stuff. It is sensitive to hot soil or over fert.

As my little anecdote, Part of the reason I beleive there have been people proselytizing problems with blue lines in the last decade(s) is some of the newer farmers/commercial guys don't have the patience to dial in the blue gear. Takes a while to really get the most out of some of these plants. Worth it if you do, in my opinion.

Great work so far everyone. Lester, i'm real excited to see you get rollin' dude.

Best of luck all.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Trifoliate OTM still trifoliatin'
picture.php

Other good looking one. Seems really happy.
picture.php

And now the not so good looking two. First the runt. I'm going to move her and see if she does better during the next couple of weeks. If she takes off, awesome. If not, she'll probably get culled.
picture.php

Mutant? Nute burn? Combo platter? It doesn't really look like any one specific thing to me, she's still growing like crazy, and she's keeping up with the other two. So I just don't know. Just gonna let her keep chugging along and see what happens.
picture.php

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, it turns out the two big ones are male. They've both got a healthy amount of balls already showing.

The one large mutant appears to be a female. The runt remains to be seen.

I am unsure if I am going to keep either of the mutants at this point. I have clones I can put in their place quite easily. Or I can drop more seeds, which honestly sounds kind of enticing right now. Especially with the unknown bagseed in the other 4 pots. Just cull everything and move on to the next round of known genetics.

Happy Times

Trifoliate OTM still trifoliatin'
View Image

Other good looking one. Seems really happy.
View Image

And now the not so good looking two. First the runt. I'm going to move her and see if she does better during the next couple of weeks. If she takes off, awesome. If not, she'll probably get culled.
View Image

Mutant? Nute burn? Combo platter? It doesn't really look like any one specific thing to me, she's still growing like crazy, and she's keeping up with the other two. So I just don't know. Just gonna let her keep chugging along and see what happens.
View Image

Wow that one is super runty compared to the others

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Last pic has that crinkle on the leaf, that is that weird genetic thing. But, it does look like some nute burn in addition to that. Some of the blue gear you gotta run 2, 3, 4 times to dial in, it can be finicky stuff. It is sensitive to hot soil or over fert.

As my little anecdote, Part of the reason I beleive there have been people proselytizing problems with blue lines in the last decade(s) is some of the newer farmers/commercial guys don't have the patience to dial in the blue gear. Takes a while to really get the most out of some of these plants. Worth it if you do, in my opinion.

Great work so far everyone. Lester, i'm real excited to see you get rollin' dude.

Best of luck all.

I've been thinking on this since you posted it, and I'm not quite sure how I could dial it in with my style of growing. When I run the other seed pack I have, I'll have a soil test done 1 planting before running the OTM, then lightly amend the soil and let it sit for a week or two to stabilize. This will be in a few years at least though. I have a ton of other seeds I want to sift through.

I've decided I'm going to let the mutants continue. The big one is definitely female. The runt still isn't showing sex, but it's moving along now. Apparently it did not care for being directly in front of my air intake. It can get quite breezy right there when I have both sets of lights running and the exhaust fan turned up. I really need to build a diffuser to direct the air down.

ETA - The Trifoliate? Full blown lady boy.

After researching a bit further, I've found out the OTM I bought was an F11. And unless I'm completely off base with how breeding works (which is entirely possible), at that point it's damn near a landrace. Which would account for all the goofy shit I'm seeing. I wonder how many packs I'd have to sift through to find a killer plant? 20? 30?

Last edited:

beta

Veteran
Just started some old ass Original Diesel x DJ Short BB F2 I had and the one that managed to survive is definitely a BB type weirdo so far. First true leaves were super crinkled and had that 'dinosaur' look, but the new stuff seems to be coming in a little more regular.

Hey bro. You are my hero. I thought of doing this project actually, I just don't have the funds sadly.

I'd say try these:

Hazeman has some Blueberry on his catalog that he F2'd.

Here are some I found on strainly:
https://www.strainly.io/en/listings/387023-blueberry-regular-dutch-passion-seeds-10-pack

https://www.strainly.io/en/listings/387023-blueberry-regular-dutch-passion-seeds-10-pack

Now something you should remember when doing this project is that DJ Short did some work for Dutch Passion and then they didn't want to compensate him after a certain amount of time so he pulled his seed stock that they had, so some of the Dutch passion stuff will be affected by his work or done by him kinda. But I'm not sure what they did after that and if they still use some of the material they kept that was produced from his work.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The remaining two OTMs were culled. The runt turned out to be a lady boy. The big one was just not happy. I'm thinking the soil just may have been too rich for her.

I've got more seeds I'll try in the future. After this next grow I'm going to start sending soil out to be tested so I can amend correctly instead of just generally. Get a couple grows in corrected soil, then try again.

Over all though I've not been happy with the OTM. 2 hermies out of 5 seeds. 2 mutants out of 5. Apparently overly sensitive to her soil and growing conditions. If you're a new grower, I would definitely stay away from Old Time Moonshine. She takes a very light touch and a very experienced hand.

H.Stoner

Also outcast’s bb sativa /pre2k heirloom blueberry ranks up there for incredible high and flavor, anyone have her please.

That cut made BB my no. 1 strain because the flavor was sublime and the stone equally so. that's the cut that was passed onPG before the fall.

i was fortunate to finally get it . i had a ton of issues going on mirtes and pm . because i had to shut down asap i pollinated every cut i had with Mole's Uranium Cranium male or males = i had two males but wasn't sure if they were the same clone or a different male UC.

at any rate i 1st tried to germ some not long ago. using old rapid rooters and shit didn't go well at all. will try again because i want to find the BB dom as well as a good 50/50 if possible. i really think the UC male will make good offspring with that BB. those beans were made circa 09.

nothing compares to that pre2k BB for me. i've smoked my fair share of nice ones. pure chemo is awesome, pukeberry was very tasty with a nice relaxing vibe i grew that and would give a kidney for that pukeberry cut. THE BB PRE2K IS STILL OUT THERE. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHO HOLDS IT. I will try to ask outcast if they can locate that for me. Joker grew her on opengrow but was off point by 20% he had issues with flavor ans i do know it was based on what and how it was fed. he just never found the magic combo and passed her on. i don't know those folks and joker has stepped away from the life he said.

thought i had pic's but it was of pukeberry in veg. :(

highsteppa

Veteran
I think O’s cut is on her way back to the farm...we’ll see. The folks I know who came up with imports really love her.

Anyone grown TIM/this is me’s blueberry sativa 10-12 wk? I was given 3 seeds years ago and turned it all to seed. Didn’t get much bud as she was late for our season. I crossed it to mob and a blueberry held by some clammers that was pretty nice.

And in regard to to blueberry not tasting like blueberries; if you ever opened a case of raked blueberries they have a strong floral smell that overpowers the fruit. We did find a patch we were calling “blueberry slurpee” not to long ago.

beta

Veteran
This is definitely the first time I've heard the lack of blueberry terps in cannabis explained away as 'blueberries don't really smell like blueberries'. :laughing:

And in regard to to blueberry not tasting like blueberries; if you ever opened a case of raked blueberries they have a strong floral smell that overpowers the fruit. We did find a patch we were calling “blueberry slurpee” not to long ago.

highsteppa

Veteran
Yea guy. I’m not saying they don’t smell like blueberries, I’m saying the floral aroma is overpowering in blueberries.

Our blueberry cut has the old school berry fruit smell that you can’t get out of an empty jar. Always in demand and is more or less untouchable by any other bb aside o’s (it’s ying yang twin). Dorks think it’s supossed to smell like a blue jolly rancher

Happy Times

Yea guy. I’m not saying they don’t smell like blueberries, I’m saying the floral aroma is overpowering in blueberries.

Our blueberry cut has the old school berry fruit smell that you can’t get out of an empty jar. Always in demand and is more or less untouchable by any other bb aside o’s (it’s ying yang twin). Dorks think it’s supossed to smell like a blue jolly rancher

Your cut- pheno found from DJ Short seed? Just wondering ...

pinkus

Veteran
After researching a bit further, I've found out the OTM I bought was an F11. And unless I'm completely off base with how breeding works (which is entirely possible), at that point it's damn near a landrace. Which would account for all the goofy shit I'm seeing. I wonder how many packs I'd have to sift through to find a killer plant? 20? 30?
I think landraces tend to be heterogeneous because of year to year variations.