What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

410 m3/hr not enough for my tent

R

Rab.C

Sup Icmag i have a 3ft x 3ft grow tent & i have a 6ins iso max fan 410 m3/hr but its not enough my temps hit 27c last night if i get a bigger
fan will this help...cheers Rab

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
No!

Iffff, you are talking 3x3 tent as in a 3 x 3 foot tent, then you have more than enough fan to do the job. I run a 4 inch 190 CFM fan in a 3x3x6 foot tent. Time to supply that/your tent with AC.

My tent has a volume of 54 ft3. Multiplying by a factor of 2 (for ducting losses) 108 ft3 while multiplying by 3 (for ducting and filter losses) 162 ft3. The fan is capable of doing its job. Perhaps a 225 cfm might be better, but when we consider the fan has a capacity to move 11400 CFH. I am moving only 9720 CFH, and that is with 60 exchanges.

My tent is in a 10x10' den which acts as a lung room. The den is air conditioned. We have some really "kinky" weather patterns here is NS during the summer. Something else I had to do last summer is route my dehumidifier exhaust to exhaust in the den via a charcoal filter rather than the tent, as a dehumidifier heats the air to remove moisture. That kept the tent at near optimal temps and RH. Doing so made a big difference operating in "my" conditions".

During the winter months, I have to supplement heat to the den as the "household thermostat isn't sensitive to the "tents needs". Once again the controller activates an oil htr to heat the den (air intake from the den). The den is in a finished basement, whereas the household thermostat is centrally located in our living spaces.

Hope this helps :tiphat:

PS: My fan is throttled back by 1/3, sometimes less operating at 75% fan speed.

R

Rab.C

Cheers Switcher56 i dont have money for aircon.would an intake fan help cool tent

Leaflet

1. What is the temperature of the room outside your tent?
2. Is the warm air from your tent being circulated back into the room, or somewhere else?
3. What kind (LED, HID, CFL) of lighting do you have in the tent and how many watts is it?

By the way, 27C (80.6F) is still in the okay range. I wouldn't want it to go higher, though.

R

Rab.C

hi leaflet i think the problem maybe that the air and heat is being circulated back into the room.i am testing out my adjustAwing 315cmh temps are 25c just now.so if i was to extract
into another Room i think temps maybe be better.and i was thinking of getting an intake fan
aswell

Leaflet

There isn't much difference between your outside and inside temperatures, so adding an intake fan probably won't help. Reducing the temperature in the room should, though. If you can exhaust your tent out a window or into another room, that would be a good start.
Your adjustawing reflector also contributes to the heat. When you can afford it (as an example, I just looked and a Daystar is less than $100USD at growershouse), you might consider getting an air-cooled reflector. With these, the heat from the light is sucked right out of the tent.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Cheers Switcher56 i dont have money for aircon.would an intake fan help cool tent

hi leaflet i think the problem maybe that the air and heat is being circulated back into the room.i am testing out my adjustAwing 315cmh temps are 25c just now.so if i was to extract
into another Room i think temps maybe be better.and i was thinking of getting an intake fan
aswell
Gotcha Rab :)

As you have now come to realize there is more to simply growing or designing a system. Your Q should be how can I get cooler air in your tent and, as leaflet stated... where are you intaking and exhausting from? From the room the tent is in? There is a problem right there. At a minimum you should be exhausting outside, I mean outdoors. Are you running your lights at night? What are your night/day time temps (outdoor). It is not even summer yet... Something to think about is... drawing outside relatively cool nighttime air to your tent via a booster/inline fan will bring relatively cool air in, it will also bring in the RH as well.

Been there and done that good buddy and set myself up for my local environmental conditions. With these tips you may well be on your way to optimize your setup. :)

R

Rab.C

cheers Switcher56

Leaflet i have an aircooled hood here from sunlight supply its called a blazer 6in just need another fan too cool it

Leaflet

You shouldn't need another fan.
You use ducting to connect that reflector to your exhaust fan. Your exhaust fan will pull air from the tent through the reflector and then out of the tent.

Leaflet

Here's some more tips:
Make sure your inlet vent is at the bottom of the tent and the exhaust is at the top.
Make sure your inlet vent is at the opposite side of the exhaust.