What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Big Time Exterminator (don't know if this is correct place)

RedBeard22

So I recently started at a farm and they are using a product called Big Time Exterminate and we use it for PM (powdered mildew). Now, I am more concerned with getting the PM to go away all together but my boss says it's organic and safe. I have googled and saw that it was mainly citric acid and seems relatively safe. However, it burned some of the pistils on the flowering plants. How do I stop the burning? Is it a sign of too high a concentration of product? Also, in a closed environment, with HVAC, fans, and the correct reading for temp/humidity/ how do you eliminate PM forever.

BillFarthing

Veteran
Also, in a closed environment, with HVAC, fans, and the correct reading for temp/humidity/ how do you eliminate PM forever.

Start with clean clones. Get your humidity and temperature in check. Nuke the room with bleach/Physan/UC Roots between every run. After a certain size of facility, it becomes more about control than completely eliminating pests and mold.

Big Time Exterminator, Green Cleaner and Nuke Em will get you through to harvest and allow you to pass testing. Once you get some experience in the industry, you'll learn what facilities have to do to operate.

therevverend

Veteran
Big Time Exterminator is mostly yeast and Potassium Sorbate, a common food additive. Added to cider, canned foods, soft drinks, ice cream, yogurt, and a bunch of other stuff. It's in animal feed and cat/dog food, and in all sorts of cosmetic and personal care products. (all the stuff that we were brainwashed into buying during the 20th century) Odds are even if it's not part of dinner tonight you're at least exposed to it. It's odorless, tasteless. Been around since the 1850s when it was distilled from the Mountain Ash berry.

They've shoveled it into rats, the rats were fine. There's a small number of people who are allergic to it and the pure form irritates the skin. Some people get itchy when they use the cosmetic/personal type products. There's the danger that some manufacturers are selling contaminated batches, containing stuff like arsenic and lead. If you end up getting a positive for that type of shit I'd look into it.

Generally it's safe stuff but it's still an additive, you don't want a lot in your diet. It's probably safe on plants but no studies have been done on burning it and breathing it into your lungs. The problem with mildew treatment is that people wait until the end of flowering to spray, I wouldn't want to smoke a lot of this type of stuff. It's a salt so it dissolves readily in water, an easy solution is to wash your plants down a few days after treatment. I'd do this with any sort of treatment regardless whether it's organic, toxic, or non-toxic.

A lot of these mildew cures are similar, salts of potassium. Keeps the mildew in check but doesn't ever cure it. I tried Green Cure last year, my boytritis and mildew laughed at it. But I'm outdoors in a rain forest so it's not a surprise.

If I was running a big op I'd chop down everything and start over from seed, fuck powdery mildew. I know that no one out there does this, it's not part of the business model. The only thing i know besides harsh chemicals to eliminate it permanently is a sulfur burner. I'd treat my clones with it, keep 'em quarantined, eliminate the mildew and go from there. I don't like how everyone is living with this kind of thing, using just enough fungicide to keep it in check without eliminating it. This is textbook how to force an organism to become resistant to different cures.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Your environment needs to be dialed in. I personally do not believe PM is systemic. Clean the growing area and get the environment proper, then spray, up to the 4th week of flower with baking soda 1tbsp per gallon as a preventative.