What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

new medical proposal in Tennessee

armedoldhippy

Veteran
a new medical cannabis bill has been introduced here in Tennessee. brought up by two Republicans (yes, REPUBLICANS!) the bill would authorize whole plant use including flowers such as those we all love to smoke. kudos to Sen. Janice Bowling from Tullahoma and Rep. Ron Travis from Dayton. one farmer from Sequatchie County showed up to applaud & support the proposal, saying "some of the best cannabis in the world has been grown in Tennessee over the last 40 or 50 years. i need to be growing it..." the bill would authorize 24 facilities statewide, 12 urban & 12 rural, all of which would be vertically integrated. Doctors would not write prescriptions, thereby protecting their medical licenses from the feds, but merely issue cards that patients could use at dispensaries if they had qualifying conditions. not surprisingly, two of the more vocal opponents are former pharmacists intent on keeping the stranglehold that Big Pharma currently has on sick people in need of help.:moon:

packerfan79

Veteran
a new medical cannabis bill has been introduced here in Tennessee. brought up by two Republicans (yes, REPUBLICANS!) the bill would authorize whole plant use including flowers such as those we all love to smoke. kudos to Sen. Janice Bowling from Tullahoma and Rep. Ron Travis from Dayton. one farmer from Sequatchie County showed up to applaud & support the proposal, saying "some of the best cannabis in the world has been grown in Tennessee over the last 40 or 50 years. i need to be growing it..." the bill would authorize 24 facilities statewide, 12 urban & 12 rural, all of which would be vertically integrated. Doctors would not write prescriptions, thereby protecting their medical licenses from the feds, but merely issue cards that patients could use at dispensaries if they had qualifying conditions. not surprisingly, two of the more vocal opponents are former pharmacists intent on keeping the stranglehold that Big Pharma currently has on sick people in need of help.:moon:

Home growing has to be included in any legislation.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Home growing has to be included in any legislation.

no, it doesn't. it is to be worked toward in the future however. first, we get the boot of the law off of the neck of the sick. i keep saying this, but it is unpopular -"YOU WILL NOT GET EVERYTHING YOU WANT THE FIRST, SECOND, OR PROBABLY EVEN THE THIRD TIME AROUND!" it is ridiculous to turn down "much better" because it is not "perfect". if medical is legal, then patients are safe from prosecution. the law cannot tell legal weed from black market weed. right now there are folks here growing illegally to help the sick. that won't change when the sick are not going to jail for possession. :tiphat:

St. Phatty

For Tennessee citizens who do home grow Cannabis (20 plants or less), what penalties does the state try to impose ?

dddaver

Veteran
The new cannabis czar Florida just hired to oversee here was Tennessee's. She will be overseeing the hemp cultivation program here too.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
For Tennessee citizens who do home grow Cannabis (20 plants or less), what penalties does the state try to impose ?

well, they aint hanged anyone in years, lol. if you are not selling, it (normally) gets plea-bargained down to possession & that is a $750 fine, 11-29 suspended, and probation for a year with $45 fees each month (that was my case every time. fees may have gone up), with expungement at the end if you did not resist arrest, call them pigs, & shout at the judge "i'll GET you for this, motherfucker!":biggrin:

Green Squall

Duak
well, they aint hanged anyone in years, lol. if you are not selling, it (normally) gets plea-bargained down to possession & that is a $750 fine, 11-29 suspended, and probation for a year with $45 fees each month (that was my case every time. fees may have gone up), with expungement at the end if you did not resist arrest, call them pigs, & shout at the judge "i'll GET you for this, motherfucker!":biggrin:

:laughing: Duly noted

igrowone

Veteran
you take the steps that you can take
every state is different, be wonderful if we could all have what much of the west coast has
but that's not the hand we're all dealt

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
I agree, a good medical program would be a great start. It will raise the minimum for the police to fuck with. With a qualifying condition I would think it would be unlikely that you would be prosecuted for a personnel grow, I bet they would just take your stuff if discovered and then only if a someone complained. The cbd market is helping as well. Either way I will take care of my family and friends. I follow just and fair laws.

therevverend

Veteran
Coming from a legal, medical state and having learned my advice is to try to get medical grows on the ballot, for patients and caregivers. Otherwise the state will have a taxable stranglehold they won't ever give up. Squeezing all the $ they can out of sick people. Experience has shown there's not a 2nd or 3rd chance to make it better. The voters will believe the war is over, we won. If medical is already legal why do we need to change the law?

I understand Tennessee is a southern, conservative state and getting any sort of legislation is difficult. But times have changed people will vote depending on how they feel about cannabis legalization not the details of the law. Take a chance and go for it you have nothing to lose. 20 years from now the sick people will thank you as opposed to wondering why other states allow home grows and Tennessee does not.

I'm in the only state on the West Coast that doesn't allow Rec home grows and this state never will allow Rec home grows.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
never say never, Rev! there is always hope for the future. look how far we have come just in the last 5 years nationwide! :woohoo: chin up, keep moving...:tiphat:

MtnGanj

never say never, Rev! there is always hope for the future. look how far we have come just in the last 5 years nationwide! :woohoo: chin up, keep moving...:tiphat:

Now would have been the time during the upcoming General Election however I have not heard of any proposed TN legislation. Tough nut to crack here in Trump land. Bummer....

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
There is some hope. Unfortunately, Tennessee doesn’t have a voter initiative process, so only elected officials have the power to change state law.

TN BILL WOULD DECRIMINALIZE MARIJUANA POSSESSION STATEWIDE, ALLOW COUNTIES TO VOTE ON LEGALIZATION
The bill would allow counties to hold referendum elections to allow the growing, processing, manufacture, delivery and retail sale of marijuana.

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wbi...ation/51-45dd3fe1-7bf3-4c2c-b151-58a1c80cbd57

MtnGanj

There is some hope. Unfortunately, Tennessee doesn’t have a voter initiative process, so only elected officials have the power to change state law.

TN BILL WOULD DECRIMINALIZE MARIJUANA POSSESSION STATEWIDE, ALLOW COUNTIES TO VOTE ON LEGALIZATION
The bill would allow counties to hold referendum elections to allow the growing, processing, manufacture, delivery and retail sale of marijuana.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wb...ation/51-45dd3fe1-7bf3-4c2c-b151-58a1c80cbd57

At least there are some progressive lawmakers willing to put it out there!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I read about vertical integration in FL. Some get licenses just to flip them. I think the people there want an open market.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Yeah I have been working on that Alabama bill for a while and there’s just no consideration for allowing people to grow. It’s been a real disappointment and I had a lot of hope in the beginning and met and talked with some key figures who all got it but somewhere along the way what we discussed just disappeared.