What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Northern California Outdoor - 400 Gallon Raised Beds

GlaZed420

I think you have to do something about that... Do less plants, depp them to keep them small, or take a clone off the plants you have now and plant it mid June.

U popped seeds in feb. They would grow into each other if they had 10'x10'. 5x5' will be ��. Don't think that they will not get enormous because it's your first year. All you have to do is water them and support them and they will be 10' wide.

The more I think about it, youre right again bud. Im gonna drop one plant per bed.

GlaZed420

So the soil company that mixed my soil shorted me about 3 yards. More soil will be here on Tuesday. Im planting in the beds next week.

CrushnYuba

Wow. That's rad. How did you notice they shorted you? I think i always get shorted. I know the yards never add up to the containers that get filled. And sometimes the dump truck loads don't add up. Like i buy 75 yards and only 3 20 yard trucks come. They claim they can fit more then 20 in the beds watered down packed and tarped.. But it's a lie.

GlaZed420

Wow. That's rad. How did you notice they shorted you? I think i always get shorted. I know the yards never add up to the containers that get filled. And sometimes the dump truck loads don't add up. Like i buy 75 yards and only 3 20 yard trucks come. They claim they can fit more then 20 in the beds watered down packed and tarped.. But it's a lie.

I built 3 - 5'x10'x15" beds and 3 - 4'x8'x15" beds. I only had enough soil to fill the 3 larger beds and 1.5 of the smaller beds. I called the day the soil was delivered and said it looks much less than 10 yards it was actually supposed to be 10.5 yards. They assured me it was 10 as they're usually "very good" on measurements... Well turns out they're 3 yards short. I had them build 4 more yards just in case. Kind of a bummer...

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
1 yard = 27 cubic ft.
To fill the beds to 12" (1 ft) it requires:
150 + 96 = 246 cubic ft.

About 300 cubic ft or 11 yards to fill all 6. Mixing soil at home the total volume won't always add up with the components. Since you built raised beds it is pretty easy to measure and see just how much soil is there.

GlaZed420

1 yard = 27 cubic ft.
To fill the beds to 12" (1 ft) it requires:
150 + 96 = 246 cubic ft.

About 300 cubic ft or 11 yards to fill all 6. Mixing soil at home the total volume won't always add up with the components. Since you built raised beds it is pretty easy to measure and see just how much soil is there.

Right. Like I said I'm short 2.5+ yards (1.5 beds left to fill). Honestly the 3 larger beds arent even completely full to the top. I didn't pack anything done either, just spread out relatively evenly

CrushnYuba

So did they comp you the 3 yards or did you buy it? That would be pretty cool if they comped it.

Art splif: i think you are right about mixing soil and the components not always adding up to total volume. Like maybe 1 yard of peat + 1 yard of compost = 1.5 yards of mix. Maybe the smaller particals fit between the gaps of the fluffy stuff?

But one time i ordered 100 yards of vermi fire. That's being measured after its mixed up. I only filled like 60 300 gallon pots like 3/4 of the way before it was watered in.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Yeah for instance 1 gallon of sharp 3/4" rock mixed with some amount of peat or coco will still add up to 1 gallon because the coco goes in between the air spaces. So they delivered ~2/3-3/4 of what was ordered.

Last edited:

GlaZed420

So did they comp you the 3 yards or did you buy it? That would be pretty cool if they comped it.

Art splif: i think you are right about mixing soil and the components not always adding up to total volume. Like maybe 1 yard of peat + 1 yard of compost = 1.5 yards of mix. Maybe the smaller particals fit between the gaps of the fluffy stuff?

But one time i ordered 100 yards of vermi fire. That's being measured after its mixed up. I only filled like 60 300 gallon pots like 3/4 of the way before it was watered in.

They wanted to send it for free but I dunno something didn't sit quite right with me. To Art splifs point it's possible what they gave me is "10.5 yards" in measured quantity but real world it's 7 yards +/-? I decided to pay for the "extra" amount if they covered shipping. They are located 1.75 hours away from me. I was also thinking if they sent me the 3 yards and 1.5 actual showed up I'd be pissed so I just said to mix me up 4 yards and I'll pay for it.

GlaZed420

This is what their 10.5 yards added up to, I didn't even really pack it down

Attachments

• IMAG0316.jpg
    IMAG0316.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMAG0317.jpg
    IMAG0317.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 24
  • IMAG0318.jpg
    IMAG0318.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0319.jpg
    IMAG0319.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 22
  • IMAG0320.jpg
    IMAG0320.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 27

GlaZed420

Anything jump out? I've been watering with my municipal water pH is high 7's to low 8's. Soil pH came in at 6.5.

Attachments

• IMAG0328.jpg
    IMAG0328.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0340.jpg
    IMAG0340.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMAG0341.jpg
    IMAG0341.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 20

GlaZed420

Well we got 3+ inches of rain with lots of wind here in the Bay Area over the past several days. Good thing I hadn't transplanted yet. Storm moves out early next week. Getting antsy

GlaZed420

Probably a bad time to transplant as its super fucking windy here but oh well. I got 2 in and am undecided on the 3rd might be a Sour Sunset x Humble Pie x Blueberry Syrup. They're about 5.5' tall now

Blueberry Syrup (DJ Short Blueberry x Cherry Pie Kush)

Cookies n Cream x Million Dollar Baby x Kens GDP

Attachments

• IMAG0345.jpg
    IMAG0345.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMAG0346.jpg
    IMAG0346.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 23

GlaZed420

Anyone have recommendations on predatory mites? One of my small backups had 6-8 fully developed green aphids on the main stalk. Any advice? I'd also like to do something preventative for mites as well.

calisun

Anyone have recommendations on predatory mites? One of my small backups had 6-8 fully developed green aphids on the main stalk. Any advice? I'd also like to do something preventative for mites as well.

Check out arbico organics online. That's who I order from with no complaints. They got some good info on ways to deal with bugs with sprays or predators.
I like green lacewing. They help a little with everything. I haven't had to use predators for mites but I think Shcrews uses and likes swirski and another one I forget right now. Check motherlode gardens thread it's in there somewhere.

CrushnYuba

Damn.. Those are already 5ft tall??
Those were in small pots too crowded for too long i think. You may have to do some work to prevent them from being funny shaped

GlaZed420

Damn.. Those are already 5ft tall??
Those were in small pots too crowded for too long i think. You may have to do some work to prevent them from being funny shaped

No they're 5' from the ground. I meant to go back and edit that but I forgot. So when the were transplanted they were about 3.5' tall or there abouts. The roots had just started growing out of the 7 gallon geopots when they were transplanted. Except for the sour sunset x humble pie x blueberry syrup.

They're starting to get lateral growth now. The branches are stretching out. I'm gonna cage them in the coming days and will probably do a little LST

Latest posts

Latest posts