What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the best seed stash find ever , SSSC i need help

I would like to mention that it may be good to crack the seeds open and remove the protective layer that encapsulates the embryo. of course if you have not done this before then please practice on some other seeds that are not as important.

I usually use a shot glass or cup of water to germinate in. after a couple days, if I don't see any action, then I will take the seeds that haven't split open and do this to them. then I throw them back in the water for another day or two. the embryo will uncurl and the leaves will get green color to them. then you can plant them carefully with the leaves above the medium. just have to be careful to maintain moisture levels as the taproot doesn't go down very far into the medium.

if you can take some bagseeds and successfully remove the shell and that covering, then get them to grow and be planted, you will be able to do the same thing with your old seeds.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
I always took unbleached coffee filters and soaked them in water and wrung them out a little so they weren't dripping wet but still very moist and put them in a zip lock sandwich bag and lined up a dozen or so seeds on the filter so I could see them and put the bag in the bottom dark drawer in the bathroom on the backside of the house where it stays around 60 degrees F all day every day. I then wait a couple of days and start looking at them once a day for the next 2 weeks to see which ones get tails. I usually get 90-100% germination rate this way. I've been doing this for 10 years. With those seeds if you get 40% germination rate I would be happy and it may take longer for them to get tails. I wouldn't scratch them or anything. Maybe soak them in a light kelp tea to help them get started but that's just about all I would do, honestly I wouldn't even do that, but some one might. If they are alive they will germinate, if they are dead they are dead. Just cowboy up and get to it. No fear. With all those seeds you are going to get some good ones to sprout without a doubt. I believe in you. And take Dropped Cat up on that offer of $10k for a plant. Easiest $10k ever.

I have to 2nd the coffee filter over paper towels.

After I soak, I dump the seeds, water and all on a filter on a plate, fold it up, put in a plastic container with 3 corners snapped closed. I don't bother wringing out excess water because by design coffee filters don't hold liquid. Then I stand the container up on 1 side in a cupboard above my fridge (its always warm in there). I find they pop 1/2 day sooner than in PTs.
Ive also noticed that the seeds seem to orientate themselves to the pull of gravity. I think this is because the filter doesn't stick down firmly against the beans like a PT would.

As far as old seeds, I can only echo what others have said - GA3 or h2o2 method. I would definitely scarify them beforehand.

SUBBED!

Ganja baba

Veteran
Just so every one knows I plan on doing an open pollination with each strain if they pop, so all mums and all dads from said strain to keep the gene pool alive .
I scuffed 4 seeds floated them in water they sank I left them two days then moved them to soil , just wanted to see how some may react , the seed stash was kept ina fridge the whole 25 years so should be able to find some thing in them , some really good points in the info you guys have given cheers every one ,

Does any one else get mega slow down when trying to type on os mac devises , I am getting mega lag for the last year and it's stopped me coming on here as much this message had taken me ten minutes to type ?????

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Any insight on the concentration of GA3 to use? I got some to use with some older seeds and am much interested in this topic.
Unfortunately, I don't. I have the intention of buying some soon to fool around with it but that's not much of a help right now.

One drawback with GA3 is, that too high concentrations, though still facilitating germination, may lead to leaf malformations (and old seeds are already susceptible to that) or cause 'maleness' in genetically female cannabis.
There should be some threads here on ICMag regarding this subject ;) .

MJBadger

Veteran
crack the seeds open and remove the protective layer that encapsulates the embryo

Really ? Why not place them on a lit B-B-Q for 10mins , it would be just as effective .
A seed case is there for a good reason , it`s also a waste of time scarfing . Just place them in water that has previously been boiled then cooled in a warm place like a propogator , if after 24hrs the seeds sink when tapped they should be good . Tails will show eventually but i`d leave them no later than 72hr .

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
The only time I germed old seeds was when I gave it no thought.

In other words I got lucky the old seeds were kept in a climate controlled
environment, and viable. The seeds were 32 years old when they popped.

Like an idiot I culled the male and a runt female, I still have the mum, though.

I really believe you can get some of your seeds to pop, GA 3 is your best bet,
if the seeds are viable to begin with.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

mack 10

Veteran
@Ganjababa , sucks your getting a lag, 10 mins to write a post! no wonder you stopped posting, hope you can get that sorted cause we need you around.

milehigh

Fine sand paper along the seam. Just enough to remove the ridge. Then treat them like any other seed. You all know who STSM is, right?

Mister_D

Veteran
Nothing useful to add, but I'm subbed in to see what comes of them :biggrin: I'd pm the skunkman, or chimera for recommendations.

Antrim

Wow! If this turns out to be the real deal, you just stumbled upon the Holy Grail! You've got to be pumped. Hell, I'm pumped for you! Good luck man. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

This is a very beautiful thing. I hope the smart breeders nowadays are storing their seedstock for our children's children. It's not a far off past where these relics could all but disappear. Good luck and I hope the community it at large advances from this find.

Skunkxx

Good Luck man.

I rem the Skunks from those days.

I had to put some wild skunks in cages in my yard to cover up the smell.also how I got my nick.

Good Times Back then

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Coots seed soak suggestion for sprouting old seeds:

12 oz. pure coconut water
1 oz. BioAg Ful-Power (pure Fulvic acid)
1 oz. Aloe vera juice

Fill to 1 gallon with the cleanest, purest water you can get your hands on.
Soak your seeds for 24 - 36 hours and then strain.

dank.Frank