What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpenoids

moyse

Thank you so much for sharing, shaggy balls.. quite possibly the most interesting read on cannabis i have ever come across...:tip hat:

Thank you so much for sharing, shaggy balls.. quite possibly the most interesting read on cannabis i have ever come across...:tip hat:

It's good to know other people find this interesting to!
Such a diverse fascinating complex topic.
Have you had any experience with Plant hormones that you would like to share Moyse??
:tiphat:

in vivo

Awesome thread! I've got a little thread on 'the entourage' on another board. We seem to have come across much of the same literature. I notice a few articles that aren't included here yet that might be interest to you.

It’s been reported that certain terpenes dilate capillaries in the lungs. Logic tells us that this would be useful in the case of smoked or vaporized cannabis. Dilated capillaries would enable beneficial cannabinoids to enter the bloodstream easier. This certainly could be useful for growers who know how their crops will be ingested, and in the production of cannabis concentrates.

Bedrocan performed a study that's interesting. They evaluate vapor vs smoked cannabis, and investigate the effects that terpenes have on the CB1 binding of cannabinoids. They anticipated monoterpenes like myrcene would increase the affinity or efficacy of THC. They didn't recognize any difference, and they suggest that terpenes elicit the majority of their effects independent of CB1.

Cannabinoid receptor 1 binding activity and quantitative analysis of Cannabis sativa L. smoke and vapor

This next one is a study that looks at 17 'mostly sativa' and 'mostly indica' terpene profiles. Myrcene was the most prominent in indicas with limonene or alpha-pinene second most prominent. Sativas we more versatile overall but often with alpha-terpinolene or alpha-pinene as the main constituent.

CONCLUSIONS

The main differences between terpene profiles of the evaluated strains belonging to the two principal biotypes were that ‘mostly indica’ strains were characterized by dominancy of β-myrcene, present in high relative contents, with limonene or α-pinene as
second most abundant terpenoid, while ‘mostly sativa’ strains were characterized by more complex terpene profiles, with some strains having α-terpinolene or α-pinene as dominant terpenoid, and some strains having β-myrcene as dominant terpenoid with α-terpinolene
or trans-β-ocimene as second most abundant terpenoid.

This wide variability in terpene composition can provide a potential tool for the characterization of Cannabis biotypes, and warrant further researches in order to evaluate the drug’s medical value and, at the same time, to select less susceptible chemotypes to the attack of herbivores and diseases. More detailed studies on the variability in monoterpenes and sesquiterpenes are needed. Breeding for specific terpenoids in plants is a fascinating research topic; in fact, the various biological activities of these compounds
make the analysis of terpenoids a valuable tool for improving a considerable number of traits in pharmaceutical and industrial cultivars of Cannabis.

Terpenoids analysis, combined with cannabinoids and flavonoids analyses, are essential for the metabolic fingerprinting of pharmaceutical cultivars. Pharmaceutical cultivars of the two principal biotypes may exhibit distinctive medicinal properties due to significant differences in relative contents of terpenoids, thus the synergy between the various secondary metabolites must be investigated in deeper details in the future in order to better elucidate the phytocomplex of Cannabis and to allow selection of chemotypes with specific medical effects.

Variations in Terpene Profiles of Different Strains of Cannabis sativa L.

There might be a couple other links you can find in this thread:

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org...one-of-the-many-missing-pieces-to-the-puzzle/

GrassMan

Veteran
Great thread!
My terpene standards start to arrive.
Didn't find a standard cannabis terpene mix...
I had to bough them separately... more to come.
Peace.

Attachments

• la foto (1).jpg
    la foto (1).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 24

Madjag

Veteran
Great thread!
Peace.

Could you give an idea of what that small group of samples would cost?

Daub Marley

Great thread!
Peace.
Nice. Watch out for the linalool I heard it can be really powerful past a certain dosage.
Are you working at a lab because I can't seem to get them delivered unless it is an actual lab.

Granger2

Veteran
Thanks to all contributors. Shaggy, I'd buy you a nice dinner if I could. Thanks again. -granger

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Could you give an idea of what that small group of samples would cost?
These are Fluka products so you can get the prices at http://sigmaaldrich.com
Although, they don't supply private customers. One way around it is via a job at a university or chemistry/food company, another at a pharmacy or alike (as a company, they can easily order but it costs you the apothecary's profit margin :D ).

GrassMan

Veteran
Can you list what you ordered?
I never saw a Cannabis mix, ever.
What amounts?
What was the total cost?
Any expensive?
Have you tried any?
With what?
Try it with 100% pure THC, or second best some glass/shatter with as little smell as you can find, if you can try it with glass that is only THC to make the terpene/THC effects clear. Try the glass, 25mg first, then an hour later add the terpene and do the same 25 mg dose.
Smoke or better vaporize to avoid destroying the terpene by the flame.
Good luck,
-SamS

Hi Sir,
I looked for cannabis mix because I supposed that during the last years the understanding of the importance of terpenoids moved the suppliers to have such a product… not all cannabis terpenoids but at least the most dominant, as they do with THC, CBD and CBN.
Unfortunately it didn’t happened and bought them separately.
I bought them on the minimal possible amount. And I bought them from the purest form I found. The first target is to create calibration curves on GC for R&D purposes.
Same supplier (Fluka-Sigma) has the same terpenoids with high purity (but not analytical grade) way cheaper.
Attached you can see the last shopping list with prices (ILS = Israeli Shekel).
I am now working with them on GC and educating my nose to the ones that didn’t know in pure form.
Didn’t smoke-vaporize them yet but I’ll do it for sure. Been waiting for that since I read you many years ago.
Thanks for your input,
Peace.

Attachments

• terpene list.jpg
    terpene list.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 41

GrassMan

Veteran
Hi,

Yes Madjag

3,993.00 ILS = 1,168.18 USD
Shequel israelí ↔ Dólar estadounidense
1 ILS = 0.292557 USD 1 USD = 3.41814 ILS

Just got a few more... and more to come.

Peace.

Attachments

• la foto 1 (4).JPG
    la foto 1 (4).JPG
    19 KB · Views: 34
  • terpene list2.JPG
    terpene list2.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 32

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Hi GrassMan,

Aren't these samples from the Martin Bauer Group / the nature network? May I ask you from which subsidiary they are and who's the distributor?
Didn't know they also have small amounts of pure constituents.

Madjag

Veteran
Hey G-man,

Are you running a test lab or perhaps working with growers who want to profile their herb this way?

GrassMan

Veteran
Hi,

Those are not samples, they are standard reference material for GC analysis. I got them through Cerilliant Israeli representative but as you mention, I can see "the nature network", "Phytolab" and "Cerilliant Corporation" on the Certificate of analysis. On the datasheet, Fhytolab appears as Manufacturer.
Minimal order amount: 100mg per terpene.

Madjag, I'm running a lab for R&D purposes.

Peace.

Latest posts

Latest posts