What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Brain

Terp Ninja

Does anyone remember a variety called "The Brain" floating around New York, LI area mid to late 90's. I'd love to track down its origins. We were getting it from a guy who got busted and that was that.

J-Icky

Well if he was like all the dealers around my parts were back in the day then it could have been literally anything. We could get a bag one day and it would be G13, then the next day get another that looked, smelled and had the exact same effect and they would say it was Durban poison. They would just pull names out of high times and claim that’s what they were selling was.

In reality there was a local crew growing hydroponically that grew 3-4 different varieties and they supplied 6 dealers. The rest were mostly selling beasters and there was another small group that were selling outdoor grown bud either they grew locally or imported from Cali or somewhere else.

My point being is that unless you got it from a grower that you knew bred the plants himself, chances are your dealer just thought of a name he thought sounded cool and unique and would get people like you to spend more for it.

igrowone

Veteran
an obvious question triggered from seeing a mandala fan posting
beyond the brain from mandala sounds suggestive?

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Well if he was like all the dealers around my parts were back in the day then it could have been literally anything. We could get a bag one day and it would be G13, then the next day get another that looked, smelled and had the exact same effect and they would say it was Durban poison. They would just pull names out of high times and claim that’s what they were selling was.

In reality there was a local crew growing hydroponically that grew 3-4 different varieties and they supplied 6 dealers. The rest were mostly selling beasters and there was another small group that were selling outdoor grown bud either they grew locally or imported from Cali or somewhere else.

My point being is that unless you got it from a grower that you knew bred the plants himself, chances are your dealer just thought of a name he thought sounded cool and unique and would get people like you to spend more for it.

Wonder if it's the same ppl was some fire comin from that crew... All the weed was super white n crusted sticky, They had a hashplant line they were most proud of N crossed into everything...
Favorites I can remember was hp-bb , lemonxhp, nl5xhp, late 90s They went to ak n bubbleberry crossed them to the hp as well n was kill to...
Wouldn't be surprised if a few cuts are still around

Wonder if it's the same ppl was some fire comin from that crew... All the weed was super white n crusted sticky, They had a hashplant line they were most proud of N crossed into everything...
Favorites I can remember was hp-bb , lemonxhp, nl5xhp, late 90s They went to ak n bubbleberry crossed them to the hp as well n was kill to...
Wouldn't be surprised if a few cuts are still around
How did those frosty 90's nugs compare to todays in your opinion?
It seems like the 90's were a golden era of breeding - genetics had been refined to the point of being amazing - but weren't too "worn out" back then. It seems like with time the clones lose their potency, get lost and people move onto new - sometimes worse genetics.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
How did those frosty 90's nugs compare to todays in your opinion?
It seems like the 90's were a golden era of breeding - genetics had been refined to the point of being amazing - but weren't too "worn out" back then. It seems like with time the clones lose their potency, get lost and people move onto new - sometimes worse genetics.

That's a very interesting topic.... back then 80s90s shit was special not just the weed everything if u were in it it was for passion... not to be cool ... I compare it a lot to dogs,,, today's weed is like fancy blue pits, appealing on the eyes but far away from what it was and can't work the same... it's all similar , different mix up of the same genetics, gives similar effects get 100000 seed makers all using the same base u get today's weed .
Back then u got 100 breeders all with different shit u get greatness.... but those buds I guess I could make the comparison that the lemonHP was as lemon as lemon tree , the nlhp was spicey hashy like uw, and the bb was idk blueberry lol... the hp was as white as any cookies or glue but had a spicyperfume armpit curry Indian food smell to it... nuthin like anything u see today... currently

That's a very interesting topic.... back then 80s90s shit was special not just the weed everything if u were in it it was for passion... not to be cool ... I compare it a lot to dogs,,, today's weed is like fancy blue pits, appealing on the eyes but far away from what it was and can't work the same... it's all similar , different mix up of the same genetics, gives similar effects get 100000 seed makers all using the same base u get today's weed .
Back then u got 100 breeders all with different shit u get greatness.... but those buds I guess I could make the comparison that the lemonHP was as lemon as lemon tree , the nlhp was spicey hashy like uw, and the bb was idk blueberry lol... the hp was as white as any cookies or glue but had a spicyperfume armpit curry Indian food smell to it... nuthin like anything u see today... currently

i get the same impression strains back then had variety and "character" if you will.

and some strains like blueberry, seem lost to history!

Terp Ninja

@geneva_sativa could of had NL but no way hazey

@J-Icky @RedDirtWarrior It was the same strain every time. One of the guys in our group said he was getting it from this "dude" who he would never say anymore about and we left it at that. Most likely the west half of Suffolk County. Could have been directly from the grower because we all knew who we were all getting everything else from and this shit was never molested. Unmistakable. Smaller frosted Kushy nugs with an almost earthy amonia/fuely smell. Not really a kush funk smell to it though, if i could say what it reminds me the most of is chem91. Like an early Diesel ish type of bud. I cant say for sure because i never got the same diesel twice so I cant pinpoint that. It did not have that bubbly calx structure like diesels either. More of a rounder kush not a spiky kush though. Very nice contrast... some darker coated leaves but calyxs were lighter green. Hairs were always intact. More vibrant orange/red than average for "kind". Not a lawnmower trim at all. Always slightly more moisture content than average but in a good way not wet. This is from what I remember from back then but we're talking 20 something years ago. I could remember the smell like yesterday though.