What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Drilling or Boring small holes....

5th

Veteran
Howdy folks :tiphat:

Got a late start to my outdoor this year....but I have a plan...:biggrin:

I want to put out a few hundred clones in 4" or 5" containers. right before flowering starts. I've done it in growbags before and the results were definately worth it in my books.

Now theres no way in hell I can collect enough containers by then so I was looking into Fiskars (the brand we know and love) Hand held tilling tool. The problem with this is the earth where I'm growing is the rockiest I've ever seen. I've broken 2 shovels so far and ain't breaking another.

I've my ice fishing auger, but its not sturdy enough for this kind of work....so I'm asking for any insight on what you guys (if any) use to till up really rocky soil. I just need to make alot of small, preferably 12" deep holes.

Any thoughts or ideas on the subject are appreciated. :tiphat:

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Done an awfull lot of fence post holes by hand in stoney ground , where even a tractor pto auger was useless , aiming for a two foot deep hole of six inch diameter

Best tool is a five foot steel bar , 30 mm diameter or thereabouts , with a 60 degree chisel ground on one end , used by hand or bashed in with a fence post rammer and rocked around to loosen.

A scaffold putluck with a flat blade end works good too , but wont break a large rock as easily.

Pointed curved grafters spade or a fenceing shovel cleans up the hole without expanding it overly wide , unless the rocks are large or granite/flint.

5th

Veteran
That is without a doubt, the proper way to go about it. I happen to have two of those bars with the chisel's ground out on there ends. But I ain't as young as I used to be....so pounding them suckers in the ground isn't exactly what I had in mind.

Not that I'm lazy....but 200-300 holes is a hellova lot of holes to pound out.

Thanks for the quick response foomar. :tiphat:

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your post prompted me to drag mine out of the shed , its been a while and could hardly lift it let alone use it all day.

Have used a type of log splitter that worked like a post rammer or slide hammer , it was solid enougth to serve both purposes and was easy in use , would make or source similar if faced with hundreds of holes in a brickyard.

5th

Veteran
....I've no shortage of hose, fittings, actuators, cylinders, or motors...

The problem is my places are so remote/marsh like/mountainous that it would be damn near impossible to bring in anything equipment oriented to the grow sites...unless it was winter and everything was frozen...

But you've got me thinking for next year...I'll weld up a small frame, small motor and a drill press of some type...

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would knock up a proper solid modified version of this , sized for the job , with a spade blade fitted.

picture.php

Could almost be a small business makeing these , cant find anything of quality just chinky stuff with bad design faults.

5th

Veteran
Will you be using the native soil or hauling up your own?

Hauling

Sounds like this would be a very hostile environment for root growth.

I'm not sure if I follow ya...

The local soil has a PH in the high 6's, I want to excavate a small (4-5" diameter) hole (12-16" deep)...and backfill the hole with my soil mix and a clone. Think of it as mother natures "tree pot"

Would knock up a proper solid modified version of this , sized for the job , with a spade blade fitted.

If it where buillt properly... I'd get 4...maybe 5 holes done before I'd have to put that sonsabitch down and have a rest n' a smoke.

This is what I think I'll be using...might have to get my welder to build it so I don't end up with a broken one in the bush...

Hank Hemp

Veteran
What the heck!!!

What the heck!!!

View Image

Could almost be a small business makeing these , cant find anything of quality just chinky stuff with bad design faults.

Is that a hi-tech spud digger?? I seen it all Lord!!! :ying:

JGP

I would grow in pots instead rather than spend days trying to dig holes in ground like concrete.

5th

Veteran
I would grow in pots instead rather than spend days trying to dig holes in ground like concrete.

So would I...believe me.

Lost to many of my outdoor plots 2 years ago because I wanted the "convienience". Thats not happening this year.

As I'm quite certain this particular plot is safe I don't mind putting in the extra work as I'd use it for years to come.

Try a search on Bulb Augers. I have one I use with a cordless drill but its only about 3" in diameter.

Thats definately the kinda thing I was looking for thank you. :tiphat:

5th

Veteran
What about planting multiple plants in bags of potting soil?

If I did that this year....I'd have soil to ammend and add next season for short, raised beds....excellent idea thanks.

I've got a month to put something to gether so keep 'em coming folks.

festerous

Veteran
If you have a tractor supply near you there house brand organic soil is only $1.49 a cubic foot and is loaded with perlite.

S

Sat X RB

using a crowbar for THAT MANY holes?! maybe if you were 20 years old.

why not get hold of builders membrane ... the stuff that's put under concrete floors to damp proof them. cheap. make pots by cutting squares of the stuff and sitting it in a ring of rocks? let one side down for drainage.

I too have a hostile growing environment (but termites and sponge dry) and this is how I make even large beds.

cheers from Oz!

STUNKY

If u have access to water u can blast some small holes with a pressure washer.. Ur gonna be making some noise though.