What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Afropips Malawi Gold alive and strong!

bloyd

Veteran
Was looking through some of afropips' old posts and thought this one deserved a repost:

Great Read Guys!
Sativas definately Rock my World!
I have travelled around Africa & the most delicious
Buds I tasted was the Mozambique Black which
matches the description of the African Black
(A bag of the worst looking blk leafy bud)

& the Malawi Black scored in the Malawi Cob,
The buds were dark brown to black with tons
of blk sticky resin, compact & wet
& needed to be cut with the scissors.

I grew up in Durban & spent a good 10 years smoking
the original Durban Poison sticks wrapped in Bookie Papers.
Later they halved the size & used brown paper & were
known as Pietermaritzburg slugs. They come in a roll of 20 sticks,
resemble & are named after the revolver bullets.
I just popped a few of the PMBurg Slug seeds on the week end.

Eventually I got tired of the DP & went to the Transkei
for a couple of months. Here I stayed on several grower / Herbalist
plantations & sampled The Pondo Fever.
It was here in 1985 when I learnt how to take cuttings from
Julius the Best Grower in the Coffee Bay Area at the time.

Swaziland was the next destination as we ocasionally used to get the
Swazi Brick shipments in SA. It had a very fruity pepper taste
& was known as Royal Swazi.
We scored the Best heads from the Piggs Peak Area.
Swazi Grease was something special - A black hash with the resemblace of grease.
You had to wrap a matchstick dipped in grease & spread into the herb to smoke it.

In the early 80's a good friend of mine visited with a Malawi Gold Cob
his friend brought back with him from a holiday in Malawi.
We smoked a bottleneck amongst a few spa & puffed a few joints,
needless to say I was hooked.

The next ganja hunt was off to Zimbabwe in 86.
The Best we scored was the Batonka weed which was comparable to the
Mz & Mal Blks. The buds were the size & shape of Goons & Golf Balls.
The Mutoka weed had some interesting buds but were not
really Hard enough when the staple was Malawi Cobs which are readily available in Harare.

In 1992 I took my first trip to the Lake Malawi to
visit the place where the number one smoke was
coming from & stayed a couple of months.
Later I would spend half my time there & the other half in Zim
until I came to UK in 1999.

The First Grade Malawi Gold is definately my no1
choice of landrace sativas.
The Gold takes you to where you wish to be
with the unique Malawi Gold Taste, Aroma & Effect.
It is very similar to Thai weed in taste & aroma
but has the spicy gum numbing, vision distorting effect.
Its extremely Mellow & smooth to taste &
a warm glow comes over the whole body when
you come to the end of the Joint.

Here is Chizzle Pic of an opened Malawi Gold Cob
for those who have never seen the Malawi
traditional way of packaging & curing.
Notice the light green to gold colour.

View Image

Cool Runnings........

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Much respect billyblog for keeping this line alive. She sounds like a gem and well worth maintaining. Your work is greatly appreciated.

Any plans for additional releases, billy?

swayzak

Afropips Malawi Gold alive and strong!

really Great thread. I have to ask if anyone has grown / smoked Green Hornets Malawi Gold? Would it be better to go for older afropips stock Malawi 99 for example? I haven't seen afropips malawi pure anywhere..

Any other tips on a good seed line available from a trustworthy source are very welcome.

VanVulpen

Veteran
really Great thread. I have to ask if anyone has grown / smoked Green Hornets Malawi Gold? Would it be better to go for older afropips stock Malawi 99 for example? I haven't seen afropips malawi pure anywhere..

Any other tips on a good seed line available from a trustworthy source are very welcome.

I grew both the Afropips and the Seedsman version aka African Buzz and they were rather similar - long flowering times, smooth lemony smoke with good strong natural high. The Holy Smoke/Malberry line on the other hand was not as good though their Mozambique Poison is definately worth trying... Right now I'm growing PoweRed Thai which is a cross betwen a Red Thai "Sa Daeng" (RSC) female and a Malawi/PPP (Afropips) male made by a fellow icmager, really excited about this one, 8/12 females should give me plenty of choice for selecting a keeper...

Some pics with the Afropips Malawi Gold i had with me a few years ago...

and when i grew a clone in some mushroom compost she turned in a completely different looking plant carrying the same desirable effect

DreamsofTesla

Veteran
These particular girls were standing at around 3-4 meteres tall at this point but they lose a bit of height as they bend over with the weight of bud on board.

billy
View Image

Lord help me! What beauty. :tiphat:

I've been really curious about those AfroPips/Malberry seeds... they all sounded great to me, but then I've heard people just trash that breeder. For example, on their website there's a picture of one of "his" plants, turns out it's someone else's picture of a different strain, and worse yet photoshopped to look much fuller.

But then I see pics like these...

I'm growing out a couple of his Nepali hybrids, now I probably need to order some of these too.

Thanks for sharing

<3 Tesla

Rinse

Veteran
Lord help me! What beauty. :tiphat:

I've been really curious about those AfroPips/Malberry seeds... they all sounded great to me, but then I've heard people just trash that breeder. For example, on their website there's a picture of one of "his" plants, turns out it's someone else's picture of a different strain, and worse yet photoshopped to look much fuller.

But then I see pics like these...

I'm growing out a couple of his Nepali hybrids, now I probably need to order some of these too.

Thanks for sharing

<3 Tesla

Afropips is not the same as Malberry seeds, 2 different companies.
Afropips had access to real African strains.
Malberry, well they have a lot to answer for...

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey all,

AsiaSrasia informed me that Clarence put some of these up on the Server Fund very recently but that they'd already sold out....seems like they went like greased lightning.....

Not sure if they have any more left to post up or not, but I'll probably be sending more in sometime....

I had no idea that these beans could be swallowed up so fast....I think there were roughly around 40 packs worth in that batch.

Am still waiting on AsiaS to get back to me to know for sure.

For those wondering...these were open pollinated landrace....12-14 weeks flowering outdoors, usually done right at the onslaught of Winter. Indoors 10-12 weeks but don't perform at their best without sunshine...

regards,
billy

DreamsofTesla

Veteran
Afropips is not the same as Malberry seeds, 2 different companies.
Afropips had access to real African strains.
Malberry, well they have a lot to answer for...

OK, well that's good to know. I had heard that they were the same people behind both companies, but really I don't know. I have to say Billy's plants are glorious.

Who would you say is the best to get high quality sativa beans from these days?

:tiphat:
<3 Tesla

Madjag

Veteran
M99

M99

Hey Billy,

I missed your blog last Fall and have been posting on Zandar's Malawi thread. I thought I'd jump in and share a bit about Malawi 99, a beautifual cross between Afropips Malawi Gold and Brothers Grimm Cinderella 99 (Cindy 99).

The Malawi Gold part of this hybrid is the exceptional Afropips version, a landrace that Jim selected as tops for its pure African Sativa expressions.....that clear, motivating high. The Brothers Grimm side is a cross of Sensi Seeds Jack Herrer x Shiva Skunk.....a powerful combo that exhibits Skunk#1, NL5, and Haze attributes.

I love Sat highs that are clean and up and give me mental clarity and an energizing lift. The small amount of Indica in M99 is masked by the wonderful synergy between the 50% Malawi Gold meets Skunk #1 elements of Mexican and Colombian Sativa.

M99 colas were extremely loose at first, with massive pistil production:
picture.php

M99 hitting the roof....had to be moved outside to finish in pure sunlight.....in early November.
picture.php

M99 at far right in the jungle:
picture.php

This herb smokes better than almost any Sativa I've had the pleasure to find over the years. It's subjective I know, however at this point in my life I want clarity and energy to follow a few puffs off a nice fat joint. I don't want to tumble downs stairs, crash on the couch, or stare into space numbed by weed that puts me down; great cannabis fun for blowing people's minds, but not the herbal advancement that I care about now.

Something wonderful about this cross, and let me know if you've had similar results with your pure Malawi Gold...this smoke is totally creeper weed. Two tokes and wait a minute, I'm not really high. 10 minutes pass and I'm thinking, "I wish this was just a bit more potent". 20 minutes pass and I suddenly feel a wave of energy filling me. A full 45-60 minutes and I'm exactly where I want to be, in fact, I'm almost jittery with energy like I've drank too many coffees in a short period of time. This smoke comes on so slowly and seems to have no ceiling. Warning Will Robinson, warning!!

picture.php

I made the mistake, if you can call it that, of hitting it 4-5 times once when I thought the herb was not that strong. The almost psychedlic level I peaked on was motivating alright, but I lost my clarity for 2 or 3 hours. Pure dream and thought fest.

I've bottle-cured it now for 3 months and I agree that slow curing is worth every day it takes. Wow.

I'll be looking for any more seeds posted in the server fund, but honestly I've found my Holy Grail, or at least close enough to it. Next season I'm searching for a male among the seeds I have left in order to do a cross or two myself. Perhaps M99 x Colombian Gold....

Peace,
Madjag

Last edited:

Clarence

FUZZY WUZZY
Veteran
Indeed there were 41 packs that went like, as you say, greased lightning!!

I am expecting some none payments as it seems there were one or two greedy boys or girls!!!!

If there are relists it will be after the 14 day period.

Thanks again Billy and I am sure that more would be greatfully welcomed by many memebers.

cheers

Hey all,

AsiaSrasia informed me that Clarence put some of these up on the Server Fund very recently but that they'd already sold out....seems like they went like greased lightning.....

Not sure if they have any more left to post up or not, but I'll probably be sending more in sometime....

I had no idea that these beans could be swallowed up so fast....I think there were roughly around 40 packs worth in that batch.

Am still waiting on AsiaS to get back to me to know for sure.

For those wondering...these were open pollinated landrace....12-14 weeks flowering outdoors, usually done right at the onslaught of Winter. Indoors 10-12 weeks but don't perform at their best without sunshine...

regards,
billy

Apodo

OK, well that's good to know. I had heard that they were the same people behind both companies, but really I don't know. I have to say Billy's plants are glorious.

<3 Tesla

If you can, wait for the relist of this seeds, as you may already know, these occurrences are quite inusual and the genetics are priceless. I hoping that the ones that get that seeds, do an reproduction run and spread the word.
As your question, I heard quite consistently that Tropical Seeds Company got a variety of African sativas with hight quality, Ace seeds did a joint project together a while ago, so their genetics are dependable.
The Seedsman African lines were good as some report says, African Buzz is a Malawi with 11 weeks flowering time, so it seems that is not diluted.
Congo Pointe Noire... the name say it all.

Rinse

Veteran

<3 Tesla

If you can, wait for the relist of this seeds, as you may already know, these occurrences are quite inusual and the genetics are priceless. I hoping that the ones that get that seeds, do an reproduction run and spread the word.
As your question, I heard quite consistently that Tropical Seeds Company got a variety of African sativas with hight quality, Ace seeds did a joint project together a while ago, so their genetics are dependable.
The Seedsman African lines were good as some report says, African Buzz is a Malawi with 11 weeks flowering time, so it seems that is not diluted.
Congo Pointe Noire... the name say it all.

I agree with Apodo they are good places to start looking, I think Tropical seeds is going out of business so the seeds will start getting rare.
I have sent a friend some Zambian Copper seeds for a greenhouse reproduction so this strain should be saved.
And those seeds were p1 from African seeds stock reproduced in a greenhouse by tropical seeds, they sent me some of the best looking seeds, dark brown mahogony color no mottling.

Looking forward to the Malawi relisting, thanks Billy.