What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Simple tips to grow excellent cannabis

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
Keep good notes. I've got a notebook that I keep track of everything in, couldn't imagine growing without it with my memory!

I don't write anything down really. I write dates on plants and tables that go into flowering. I guess I'm kind of a savant when it comes to remembering what I did to my plants and what is what. I did try to keep a journal the first few grows, but didn't find it very helpful to me.

When growing with partners or on a large scale, it's obviously necessary to keep everyone on the same page. Some people actually experience some sort of short term memory loss from cannabis use I've heard :bigeye:

I kick myself occasionally if I do end up forgetting something, but I take that trade off to keep my life less cluttered.

Definitely a good tool for beginners though. Especially those that are lucky enough to already have access to good smoke while their grow is in progress.

bobblehead

Veteran
Consistency is very important...

12hs consistent light, 12hs consistent dark, consistent low ppm/EC feeds, temps, etc... Many growers want to try this and that to improve their final product... When they're really just stressing the plants out.

Pick your nutes, pick your medium, and stick to it. Make it work for you. There are very few "better ways" of doing things... It's more a matter of knowing how to manipulate the environment you've created.

take a couple plants (if you have room etc..) and play a little, best way to learn i think. and if they die oh well just an experiment anyway righ..

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Don't bother with anything but the best genetics. Ok it might cost $100 more to get a pack of seeds of an excellent strain instead of a cheap F2 knockoff, but the results more than repay you.

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
All great posts, but keep in mind....I was glad that I didn't spend $1000 on great genetics for the first 6-12 months of growing. I lost some great stuff, because I was too inexperienced to clone properly. I was playing around with different methods, and ultimately getting great genetics the first time around would have been a poor decision.

1) until you get cloning down, or breeding....don't waste your money on really expensive seeds

2)When you do finally realize which method you want to use for your grow...don't cheap out. Get something decent that will last you for a few years at least.

3)If growing in an apartment....in a non-medical state....hydro is not the best option. Go coco or soil.

djonkoman

Veteran
enjoy your first harvest even tough your friends say it isn't good, just ignore it and focus on the joy of being able to get high on your own suply
quality will come

O

onlychild

My main thing I can contribute, is make sure your expectations and genetics are = to the situation, if you live in a short light state and you grow outside, find something that will finish and pay off for all your hard work, if your growing in a 6x9 indoor space, make sure your plants dont grow 10 feet tall...

great thread

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
Okay, lets jump start this thread a bit. Here's another simple tip that I find useful when growing in soil or coco:

It's better to have a properly fed rootbound plant, than a plant that has too much space to stretch it's roots and can never reach the sides of the pot.

for the past year I have been growing large plants in very small pots. most of my mother plants are between 3 and 4.5 feet tall, but almost all of them are in 1 gallon pots or less.

The way I do this is by planting my clones fresh out of the cloner into 8 oz solo cups. within a week and a half or so the roots should be filling this out. however, I don't necessarily transplant then, instead I start a regular feeding regiment and let them stretch to be 12"+. once they get to that height, then I transplant into 1/2 gallon or 1 gallon pots. These are the pots I keep moms in and the last pots any soil plants going into flowering are in before their final pot.

I currently have healthy moms in 1 gallon pots that are 5+ months old with stalks the size of half dollars.

early in my growing career I made the mistake of planting clones and seeds directly into 1 gallon or 2 gallon pots. it is way harder for small plants to build a strong root structure if they are in essence drowning in the medium. I would have 3-4 foot tall plants in 10 gallon pots to flower and the would never fill it out. The final yields were always around 4 oz. or so.

using my current method however, I now regularly yield 4 oz. from 3 or 5 gallon pots and have pull more along the lines of 7-8 oz from 10 gallon pots.

hope that simple tip helps some young growers avoid low yields, and increase the health of their plants so they can perform up to potential.

great posts everyone. lets keep it going.

self

an outdoor technique thats always worked for me is making fences and barriers out of existing brush and trees. This is to keep deer out, and to discourage further investigation by bipedal mammals. For a simple, invisible fence, break off or pick up dead branches (5'-7') and drive the butt end into the earth around your plot, with the branches angled outward at around 45º, like peasents with with pikes defending against a calvary charge, if you know what I mean. Make it look natural, but make it look mean, so any man or beast subconsciously shies away. simple and effective.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1. Azomite.

Wouldn't grow without it.

2. Philosophy.

Quit trying to grow the plant. It has a genetic predisposition. It can only respond to the environmental stimuli present. Learn to fine tune your only two controlling factors....environment around the root zone and the environment surrounding the foliage. Learn to control variables in those areas...and the plant will respond with the best genetic expressions it contains.

dank.Frank

bobblehead

Veteran
1. Azomite.

Wouldn't grow without it.

2. Philosophy.

Quit trying to grow the plant. It has a genetic predisposition. It can only respond to the environmental stimuli present. Learn to fine tune your only two controlling factors....environment around the root zone and the environment surrounding the foliage. Learn to control variables in those areas...and the plant will respond with the best genetic expressions it contains.

dank.Frank
:yeahthats

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This maybe sounds stupid but I use my past grow thread,where I write all the stuff about plants,to correct and compare them,stuff I used,deficiencies,etc...
This allow me to remember everything if I need and it's very useful,IMO.

Chili_berkster

Badass
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Simple tips: Don't skimp on the gear. Don't overfeed. Don't harvest early. Do check ph. Do use timers. Be a good human
TMB your a hero of mine. Thanks for the forum, thanks for the gear, thanks for the memories. What better time to express love than Memorial weekend. 1 final simple tip: Enjoy

Marshall

This doesn't actually have to do with the actual growing portion.

Get your op setup properly the first time. Finding out you have temp/humidity/electrical issues mid grow sucks and is a PITA to fix.

Also something I learned recently, let your plants finish. Most harvest too early

G

gloryoskie

This doesn't actually have to do with the actual growing portion.

Get your op setup properly the first time. Finding out you have temp/humidity/electrical issues mid grow sucks and is a PITA to fix.

Also something I learned recently, let your plants finish. Most harvest too early

I learned the hard way, then applied science, and a proper cure. Changed me from growing okay pot to growing great pot.
Every time. Thanks everybody!

Latest posts

Latest posts