What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My final run

Some background.

Been doing this for years plus and normally will produce high quality buds that yield very well. I’ve had experimented with numerous techniques and have battled every pest imaginable I thought.

So over a year ago, a friend of mine told me about his problem with RAs. I had zero experience with them. Did not even think he passed them off to me when I grabbed some cuts/and was helping him out. So shortly after I noticed a bunch of “gnats” hovering around my air cooled hoods trying to get to the light it seemed. Did a little research and found out these were adult flyers. Ended up drenching them with promise a few times and the harvest ended up pretty decent with a slight regression in overall quality of product. I just assumed my friends cuts were not good.

My next round, I decided to be proactive and use bontiguard in veg back to back feedings. Didn’t see many flyers at all this time but my ladies suffered in the end result. Right before harvest they looked actually good but did not feel dense. Then I cut and hung them. Yield and quality were greatly diminished. Not even sure if I seen them in the roots. Spent hours looking for them.

Shut down for 2 months. Sterilized everything. Started back up. This time I went to battle using P. Mites, beneficial nematodes, sticky traps, and caps beenies every third feeding. Almost time to harvest and buds are looking good AGAIN but not dense again. Been running CO2 the whole flower stage. Here are some pics prior to harvest.

picture.php

picture.php

During the drying process they began to shrink more than usual. And my final product suffered again. Looks decent but no meat on the bones. Like it literally feels hollow. I’ve grown for many years and usually produce a gram for every watt. And now I can’t get even close. After a bad year plus I’ve decided to shut down bc I can’t afford it anymore. But I’m so perplexed that “something” beat me that I can’t identify. I’ve searched hours upon hours in my soil for RAs and can’t find nothing. During the flowering stage I had other growers come look at my plants and all were blown away at how luscious and healthy they looked.

Any thoughts? I don’t wanna even wanna try to solve the problem at this point. I just wanna know what it is. I’ve searched every grow forum and

Still RAs?
A virus?
Broad mites (monitored for those) never had them
Thrips? No signs of them
Spidermites? I know them well. No signs
No pm

Just green luscious plants that don’t producE

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Aww heck don't give up. Farmers possess eternal optimism that next season or round will be better!

Shut down and get rid of everything that can't be sterilized and nuke clean the area and bomb it. Then start from seed and you will know you are back to your old ways.

On a side note how old are your bulbs? Anything change heat and humidity wise?

I've been there many times and recovered, even had a fire burn down the structure my Mom's, seed collection, grow, and harvest drying were in. Best of luck to you and I hope you continue to grow as your flowers look amazing!

Thanks for the reply friend. I use hortilux 600s in an air cooled hood. I change them out every two runs. Humidity stays around 40-50 percent.

Plants will look luscious and full of life until harvest time. Then they’ll shrink beyond normal. Like no meat on the bones. Just perplexing and mind boggling

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I looked and looked and looked for RAs, and I was unable to find them. I finally tried the potato trick and it works great... if you have RAs. Never even saw a flicker of movement until I tried the potato slices.

Cut slices of potato at least 1" thick. Lay them on the surface of your soil for 5 days. Turn them over and simply stare at one spot for a while. When you see movement you'll be seeing RA's.

I used two pyrethrin dunks, 5 or 8 days apart. (And by dunk I mean completely submerged the soil balls in the solution, let it sit for a full minute, then pulled out and let drain) I forget exactly how many days apart, but they're gone. It helps to only have a few plants to treat.

I tried the potato test but only let it sit for 24 hours. If I decide to ever start a run again I def will let it sit for 5 days. Good info

Whats weird is... I see no symptoms. They’re hungry every three days, no deficiencies, green, grow exceptionally well during veg and flower but never “fill out”

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
What are your nutes/ec like throughout flower? Beneficial bacteria besides nematodes? Soil or Coco?

What are your nutes/ec like throughout flower? Beneficial bacteria besides nematodes? Soil or Coco?

Advanced nutrients during flower. Ph 5.8-6.2. Every third feeding I use a tea with caps beenies in it. A whole bunch of beneficials that is expensive. Og BioWar root and foliar packs.

RA are not hard to see, if you have them you can see them without a scope.

Have you compared your symptoms vs Hop Latent Viroid? imo this viroid is INCREDIBLY widespread and because the symptoms are subtle and nobody tests for it virtually nobody knows they have it.

https://darkheartnursery.com/news/hop-latent-viroid/

View Image

That’s the impression I was under. That I would be able to see them. My plants look healthy as can be like the one pictured on the right. That was an interesting article. Crazy how it’s such a durable plant and at the same so vulnerable

Does anyone know if phylloxera are different than RAs that affect weed plants

beta

Veteran
That’s the impression I was under. That I would be able to see them. My plants look healthy as can be like the one pictured on the right. That was an interesting article. Crazy how it’s such a durable plant and at the same so vulnerable

Does anyone know if phylloxera are different than RAs that affect weed plants

RA are phylloxera, but if you call it 'weed' again you can't grow it anymore. Sorry, I don't make the rules. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts