What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

anyone familiar with kumquats?

I

IMedicate

I've recently sprouted seeds from 2 different kumquat trees. Both of them are round kumquats, I'm sure they're not fortunella meiwa the large kumquat. They are either fortunella marumi or hindsii which are smaller with hindsii being the smallest of them. One tree had kumquats that were varied in size from small to medium in size. The other one which I suspect is fortunella hindsii had small fruits which were more uniform in size. That may have just been because it came from a different tree? The seeds were acquired from 2 different places. I was wondering if anyone can tell the difference between the two?

N

noyd666

hi, wife is lookingthem up, Marumi Kumquat Bonsai Tree, scientific name Fortunella japonica, is an evergreen with small, glossy, deep-green leaves that is great for indoors. It is loved by bonsai growers for its beautiful fragrant white flowers and attractive round golden fruits that are both edible and ornamental. It belongs to Citrus family.I haven't seen them over here, used to love eating them as kids.

I

IMedicate

hi, wife is lookingthem up, dont see them over here, used to love eating them as kids.

Yea they are not easy to find. Asian stores sometimes have them around new years time. I was very lucky to come across a place that had a kumquat bonsai so I plucked some off it.

WishDoctor

I remember sitting under the kumquat in the 60's as a kid stuffing myself. Taking pocketfuls home and stashing them in my room. Damn those were good. They are all over Huntington Beach, Ca as decorator bushes, trees.
Have no clue as to type.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
only round kumquats im familiar with is changshou, which is pretty commercially available

T

TribalSeeds

All I can tell you about them is that I had a couple of trees in backyard as a kid that we never watered or anything but they produced great fruit for all the years I lived there.
Now after being reminded about them Im going to have to try and find some at a store or go back and jack whoever is living there now for a bunch of them. I just bought a house right up the street from there.

N

noyd666

All I can tell you about them is that I had a couple of trees in backyard as a kid that we never watered or anything but they produced great fruit for all the years I lived there.
Now after being reminded about them Im going to have to try and find some at a store or go back and jack whoever is living there now for a bunch of them. I just bought a house right up the street from there.
:) you be right there tribalseeds lol, if you can see the trees, beautiful fruit.:blowbubbles:

I

IMedicate

I have rare fortunella hindsii and fortunella japonica kumquats if anyone is interested. Not sure if thats allowed here but I have a medical card and nothing to hide. I wish the weather here is warmer, I would be able to plant them outside.

S

Sat X RB

can't figure out the connection between 'medical card' and cumquats ...

but if you guys aren't talking in code ...

cumquats are part of the citrus family, right?

and don't citrus need to be propogated by budding rather than seed because seed will only produce root stock?

cheers!

N

noyd666

lol.???. cumquat are normily grown through grafting, though seed germination is possible, so it says. boom. boom.

Last edited:
S

Sat X RB

Hmm.

perhaps the plant you Colonials in the north have named cumquat is a different plant to what we southern Colonials have named cumquat.

but since Noyd's typo above I reckon we all should name them:

cumtwats!

cheers!

I

IMedicate

can't figure out the connection between 'medical card' and cumquats ...

but if you guys aren't talking in code ...

cumquats are part of the citrus family, right?

and don't citrus need to be propogated by budding rather than seed because seed will only produce root stock?

cheers!

No they are grafted because it produces fruit faster and most kumquats will fruit from seed. I'm not sure about other citrus plants though. There is no connection between med card and cumquats but if you find out there is let me know.

Latest posts

Latest posts