What's new

Moles

G

greenmatter

the neighbor's cat passed away in the fall and without him to keep these fury little bastards in check the population has exploded in my garden.

i need some solid advice on how to get rid of these things!!!! (and no i am not getting a cat ...... i have nothing against them whatsoever, i just don't want one)

B

buddymate

Get some mole traps from Steve Albano at trapline products,very easy to use and super effective,or go the whole 9 yards if its an infestation,my brother has a Rodenator,its the end of the line for moles when he uses that :tiphat:

MJBadger

Veteran
I used to use a product called Renardine but it`s not available now coz of new health regulations . Cresote has gone the same way . I used to soak either conkers of soft wood offcuts in it & then place them down the runs & mole was gone for a long time . You may be able to find some wood/fence treatment that is a similar thing & use that . Coal Tar oil is one thing that will bugger them off .
There are also repellers on the market , check this link .

http://www.primrose.co.uk/pest-control-mole-deterrent-c-24_300.html

B

buddymate

I used to use a product called Renardine but it`s not available now coz of new health regulations . Cresote has gone the same way . I used to soak either conkers of soft wood offcuts in it & then place them down the runs & mole was gone for a long time . You may be able to find some wood/fence treatment that is a similar thing & use that . Coal Tar oil is one thing that will bugger them off .
There are also repellers on the market
My brother is a pest controller,helped him out loads of times and have been trapping moles since I was a kid,the only problem with scent deterents is the mole simply pushes up more molehills a short distance away,sure they vacate their existing burrows but simply set up shop closebye causing yet more unsightly molehills.

firehound

http://www.allpestexpress.com/talpirid-for-moles.aspx?gclid=COTAyLPXpa8CFZDrKgodFE0VXg These are like gummy worms, for moles. dont use a whole worm, break in half. cost effective also. add a peice or worm bait to any of the runs you see. walk all the runs down.moles are almost anal about keeping these runs open. moles are busy early mornings and evenings.steel traps are $$$,pitch fork works too. or BOBCAT URINE spray along property line with this method. lol yes they sell it. I have hunted and killed 100's of these pesky critters.....only found 1 ALBINO mole.

B

buddymate

You could always use aluminium phosphide pellets if they are legal where you are?My grandfather years ago would inject worms with strychnine,drop the worm into a mole run,mole would come along,have a snack and night-night moley.

mofeta

Veteran
Rodenator

Not that this is appropriate for a home garden in the city, but I just learned about this product from Veg N Out, and was amused by it.

G

greenmatter

thanks lady and gents! saw the gummy worm baits on the shelf in the hardware store, i think i am going to try those. i already have one of the ultra sonic gadgets. it makes them move but does not make them leave.

the Rodenator can only be an american invention. looks like it would be REALLY effective, but so far i don't think i really need to go nuclear ....... at least not yet. the videos for that thing are funny as hell, unless you happen to be a mole.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
There are also repellers on the market , check this link .

http://www.primrose.co.uk/pest-control-mole-deterrent-c-24_300.html

the Rodenator can only be an american invention. looks like it would be REALLY effective, but so far i don't think i really need to go nuclear ....... quote]

that's what you think! hahahahahahahahha

best use the most destructive element in the arsenal. I stuffed a paper towel tube with black powder and put it in the run of one...just lifted alot of dirt. pretty sure they are aware of baits too...the stake that buzzes had a hill next to it (waste of money).
then i read a book where they are a sign of a healthy soil, so i quit wasting effort...though i still have a springtrap set up along the driveway.
they decided i should let them stay...so i built bigger fireworks.=/

...be sure to replace all divots.:biggrin:

G

greenmatter

already had a talk with the cops about some fun we were having with black powder a while back so i dont think i want to go there again.

i might get out the oxy acetylene rig, get a good cutting flame going,put it out and start loading a tunnel with that gas mix ....... all i have to do is come up with an ignitor (been there done that)

D

dramamine

We used to catch them by putting an empty coffee can in a run, digging a hole for it so it sat below the run. The mole drops in and can't get out. This worked the couple times I've tried it.

MJBadger

Veteran
Well the only choice by the looks of things is permanent dispatch . At least with a trap you only have to catch them once , they do need to be set correctly but if they are are the problem will sort out . i`m a bit more organic & prefer deterrants but it don`t work for everyone . trichrider has already mentioned the quality of the soil & i have been known to take the van to a particular spot along a roadside verge & collect bags of it . Fantastic for my garden compost mix & my bonsai compost & free .

G

greenmatter

being all about the outdoor organics is kind of what got me here. compost piles, leaf mold piles and perennial beds are what are attracting them. there is plenty for a mole to do in my garden that is for sure! the neighbor's cat use to pretty much live back there because there was plenty for him to do too.

none of the yards around me have any problems because the moles have always been in my yard where there is a good supply of food. i have thought about repellents, but they are not going to keep the hoard away from the buffet forever.

i'm usually pretty tolerant, but this time i am looking at full scale war

supermanlives

Veteran
aah whack a mole LOL been there . got them in my raised beds in my greenhouse once way back. used traps,smoke bombs and a pitchfork. eventuall got em . i thought they were cute but raised hell in my beds.

Drift13

Moles are in your yard because there is more bugs for them to eat than next door. Find out what the local bug is that they feed on and then get rid of both.

G

greenmatter

Moles are in your yard because there is more bugs for them to eat than next door. Find out what the local bug is that they feed on and then get rid of both.

i know that the fact that there is plenty to eat back there is what is bringing them and keeping them here. all of the yards around me are "ortho/miracle grow urban sterile" and everything that looks like it does not belong there gets sprayed with whatever crazy shit the home depot guy pushes on them.

from what i understand these little bastards feed on earthworms and grubs and i don't even want to think about spraying anything to get my yard as "clean" as it needs to be to get them to just leave.

i've been using smoke bombs with some good success so far ....... i have found 5-6 stuck in a window well that they are attracted to when they go out looking for a new place to live, so i think i am fucking up their little version of heaven at least a little bit. i have destroyed a nest or two that makes me think twice about the "rodenator" or the method it uses .......... when it takes 10 minutes and 4 smoke bombs to make smoke come out of a hole 20 feet away from where you start the assault you start to wonder how big the tunnel system is and if it would be a good idea to light the thing off with a gas mix unless you had a pest control license to show the cop and fire fighters after they get called.

LazLo

You can do a job of grub control with milky spore and that won't whack your earthworms and other beneficials. Plus milky spore is a living organism that breeds where it has a food supply (grubs) so you only need to apply every five to ten years or so...cheaper to boot!

Most grubs are larva of the Japanese beetle. The moles prefer grubs to earthworms. No larva, no beetles to lay more eggs and the moles move!!

G

greenmatter

i have read about milky spore. the thing is i don't ever recall seeing a japanese beetle in colorado,so i don't think that is what the moles are after.

thanks for the tip though! i have to go read some more about milky spore.