What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Avocado tree - Best way to grow it?

Chiefen

So, Ive remembered when I was a kid, going through kindergarden, our teachers started a project with us; getting all of the kids a avocado seed and caring for it.

Now, the project didn't turn our too well, and I don't remember really anything usefull from it, therefore i ask you:

Anyone of you got any experience of growing it?
As in getting a seed to root, then how to care for it at the best way?

Was thinking it could be fun to start as a project, aside from the cannabis growing :)))

Cheers!

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Chiefen,

Yeah, I got one growing right now. Its about 3 years old and close to 6 feet tall. Wife just stuck it (pit) in one of my potted house plants one spring and it sprouted. I couldn't figure out what the hell it was until my wife remembered that she stuck one there after making guacamole. I call it my guacamole tree. It takes several years before they will bear fruit, but mine will probably never since I can't plant it outside.

R. Fortune

Last edited:

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Variety is from Mexico.
It is a light feeder
Will drop leaves end of winter
Mine will stay out all summer April-October
If you want a shorter bushier tree just prune it maybe around 3 or 4 feet tall
Mine is currently in a 8-10 gallon pot.
1/2 EB Stones organic potting mix
1/4 peat moss
1/4 Napa FLOOR-DRY brand diatomaceous earth (DE)
1/2 tsp per gallon 15-30-15 with micros water soluble most every watering

It's easy to grow avocado form seed. Just remember, the seed may not produce the same quality fruit it originally came from.

Chiefen

great folk, thanks!
is there any "bonsai" potential with it, or is it best just to let it grow and perhaps prune it once in a while?

Fillthavoid

It takes ten years for some varieties to even put off fruit!! The right micro climate has alot to do with how well its gonna grow. Good Luck!!

rachaelhccc

Variety is from Mexico.
It is a light feeder
Will drop leaves end of winter
Mine will stay out all summer April-October
If you want a shorter bushier tree just prune it maybe around 3 or 4 feet tall
Mine is currently in a 8-10 gallon pot.
1/2 EB Stones organic potting mix
1/4 peat moss
1/4 Napa FLOOR-DRY brand diatomaceous earth (DE)
1/2 tsp per gallon 15-30-15 with micros water soluble most every watering

That's sick as hell! Can we get some pics?

Nader

Veteran
I was told that established fruiting avocado trees should be grafted to young ones grown from a pit if you want it to bear fruit properly.

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got one growing in my house right now. It is about 12 feet tall. Wife threw the pit into a planter one day and forgot about it. We figured what it was when it got a couple of feet tall.

It came from Mexico. It does not like much feeding and will let you know when to water it.

I love it!

R.Fortune

M

MrSterling

Avocado, if I'm not mistaken, is much like other fruit trees(and the more elite pot varieties too!) Often the seeds/pits don't come true. You can grow out your pit, but you may just get an ornamental avocado tree that doesn't produce fruit worth eating. Often a fruit-bearing strain is grafted onto a more rugged root-stock, the same as apples.

Grown from seed they are supposed to take much longer to bear fruit, about six years I think; a grafted one will bear fruit in about two or three years.
Also some varieties need two trees to get fruit; Hass is one that comes to mind.
Fuerte needs only one tree.
Also don't like hot dry winds, it burns the leaves.

rosalind

So, Ive remembered when I was a kid, going through kindergarden, our teachers started a project with us; getting all of the kids a avocado seed and caring for it.

Now, the project didn't turn our too well, and I don't remember really anything usefull from it, therefore i ask you:

Anyone of you got any experience of growing it?
As in getting a seed to root, then how to care for it at the best way?

Was thinking it could be fun to start as a project, aside from the cannabis growing :)))

Cheers!

In sunny window keep your tree, the more the sunlight it get and it will grow faster. Bear in mind not to forget to give often watering to the soil. Watering will help to growing it slowly slowly.

Sweet Lou

Got one at about 3 foot from seed from my father-in-law about to hit my backyard in some miracle grow which I'm against but hey it's that or canna coco lol. Zoolander:blowbubbles:

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
don't you need multiple plants to actually get fruit? They need a male and female right?

the best fertilizer for avacado is worm castings. my avacado is enormous for that reason. you can easily start your own worm farm feeding them paper and table scraps

Bud-O-Phile

I'm growing avocado for the first time and was really amazed how fast these guys can grow. Mine is 6 months old now and is standing almost 2 feet tall. The growth was very rapid once it germinated and got to enjoy the summer sun from my windowsill. In just two months which is pretty much our whole summer it got to the height it's standing right now. The biggest leaves were also about a feet long and it was looking absolutely beautiful but then the fall kicked in and it started dropping leaves like maniac.
Thought it was some sorta deficiency although the leaves were mostly healthy green colored so I went and gave her a mild dose of GHE grow/micro.. BAD idea, almost all the leaves suffered major nuteburn and the new grow stunted for a long time. Now she's living in a tent with the loving embrace of a 600W HPS and once again there's a nice looking "crown" of new tips coming once I stopped feeding here nutes

here's the whole plant how she looked few days ago

a little bit better image to show how it reacted to the HPS. I haven't topped her even though everybody tells you should cause it doesn't get bushy otherwise.. well judging from the amount of new tips it's pushing now there's no need for that. Even under the sun it only grew vertically but now it's getting crazy:biggrin:

and here's the most ugliest leaf still attached to the branch

Probably should re-pot her into a bigger container soon. The clay one I'm using now is roughly 2.5l and theres a bunch of roots blocking the only drainage hole it has.

Latest posts

Latest posts