What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CO report said marijuana users need more anesthetic for medical procedures

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
denver.cbs local.com

Who knew! This study was considered a pilot study as it lacked rigor and didn't have enough subjects. Anyway marijuana users needed up to 2X the amount of anesthetic for medical procedures. I wonder if this is more Reefer Madness stuff? It is interesting but it needs more study.

I wood

That information has been out there for a long time for who payed attention.
The orthopedic surgeon who rebuilt my ankle in 1998 discussed this with me before surgery and strongly suggested I abstain for at least three days prior to surgery. Post surgery he said smoke up if it works better than the pills offered.

Sunshineinabag

denver.cbs local.com

Who knew! This study was considered a pilot study as it lacked rigor and didn't have enough subjects. Anyway marijuana users needed up to 2X the amount of anesthetic for medical procedures. I wonder if this is more Reefer Madness stuff? It is interesting but it needs more study.

Dude if there are cultivars and varietals that mimic versed FUCKEN SIGN ME UP!:tiphat:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting. Had a procedure a month ago. They gave me Propofol IV according to weight. Recall fuzzy minded a few days after.

weedtoker

Veteran
If you're consuming a substance that modulates the endocannabinoid system, which revolves around homeostasis, it is plausible, but also highly probable to not be so straight forward?

cheers

Muleskinner

Veteran
Another bullshit study from the corrupt USA medical industry. The lastest chapter in 100 years of fearmongering and scapegoating.

Unfortunately I've been probed and operated on more than I'd like to admit and I've never had a problem with anesthesia or needing more of it. My experience is that heavy cannabis use has absolutely zero effect on anesthesia.

prune

Veteran
Another bullshit study from the corrupt USA medical industry. The lastest chapter in 100 years of fearmongering and scapegoating.

Unfortunately I've been probed and operated on more than I'd like to admit and I've never had a problem with anesthesia or needing more of it. My experience is that heavy cannabis use has absolutely zero effect on anesthesia.

Flat Earther representing!:laughing:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Patients dying of Pancriatic Cancer painfull as hell, reported that with a joint they could reduce the Morhine drip and get the same effect with about half as much Morphine.
That seems contrary to the claims of the article.
-SamS

Betterhaff

Veteran
I was asked about marijuana use when I had some drain tubes placed. The anesthesiologist just asked me the last time I used and if I was a frequent user…if I was she said she may have to use more. It's on record that I use.

I was able to cut my opiods by almost half by consuming cannabis conjunctively. Opiods are different than anesthesia drugs.

rolandomota

Yes morphine is different from anesthesia. I needed a double propofol shot the first didn't do shit even the second shot left me staring at the docs for a minute saying now what happens? so I said "I guess I'll start counting backward?" I think I got to like eighty something from 100

troutman

Seed Whore
This is a bullshit report. Any drug user will need more drugs to knock them out.

It's called drug tolerance!

BTW: Morphine is more of an analgesic than an anesthetic.

EsterEssence

Veteran
They put me in twilight yesterday, never asked about cannabis use, or said I needed any extra anesthesia for the prodecure...

madalasatori

Veteran
I was given morphine a few months back and it took a lot of doses before it started working, the paramedics were surprised. Felt sick as a dog though

Nico Farmer

I was given morphine a few months back and it took a lot of doses before it started working, the paramedics were surprised. Felt sick as a dog though

Same for me, I have a high morphine tolerance.
One time I had to be connected to a morphine pump for 48 hours and the anesthesiologist hallucinated my opioid resistance. Can be no link with a serious weed smoking, but why not?
Even last time at the dentist, I was entitled to three times the normal dose.

blastfrompast

Veteran
I gotta concur with this, I now let my anesthesiologist know....
Woke up mid procedure 2 times.....

Now i tell them to kick it up a notch.... Upside all you remember is foggy flash memories if you do wake up...

For my appendix they listened thank god....but was told after it took more of whatever they used.....

I was Lit when i had the surgery also on edibles still from a few hours earlier.....(emergency surgery within 2 hours of entering hospital)

Perhaps I just have tollerance...

When it comes to Opiates I find it is opposite as have the last 2 pallative care patients....enough so that the family had to talk to the dr as he was accusing them of making the father use less of his drip....by 1/2.... he was gone 2 weeks later but had a really good 7 days where he wasn't a zombie....

50-70mg 3 times a day was enough to do it which shocked me.....

Muleskinner

Veteran
xxxxxxxxxx

https://jaoa.org/article.aspx?articleid=2758544

Unknown Effect of Cannabis Use on Procedural Sedation Requirements

>> To the Editor:
We read with great interest the recent report by Twardowski et al1 regarding the impact of regular cannabis use on procedural sedation requirements. This area remains poorly studied, and we applaud the authors for investigating this timely and germane issue. However, owing to methodologic flaws, we believe that the interpretation and clinical utility of the study are extremely limited.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Latest posts