What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

crab meal

What is the recommended rates to apply to soil without being harmful? Sorry if this is obvious answer and is written on the package..I haven't purchased crab meal yet.

Swayze

OL, I'm curious about this as well. I know a lot of people toss the shells of crabs, lobsters, and shrimp into the compost piles without a worry of killing the microherd. Also, Coast of Maine's Lobster Compost is supposed to be a heck of a product that is "Made with chitin-rich lobster blended with peathumus and compost". Although I don't know what percentage of their product originally was a lobster.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There obviously must be an appropriate percentage to use. My statement is only to raise awareness.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
1 cup per cubic foot of soil mix. I have been re-amending w/it at roughly that percent every 4 to 5 months. Definitely have no lasting issues with root aphids or fungus gnats. A high population of pot worms and what seems to be a lower population of blind soil thrips. Red worms are okay and still reproduce in the no-till pots. Populations of introduced hunter and prey fluxuate. No issues w/plants...or invasive pests.

These are my observations using in ROLS

Neo 420

Veteran
I use 1 cup per 5 gallons soil (slightly more than Gas) amended per 2 cycles. So far no issues.. Gotta say I love the lack of gnats. I had read about its fungal fighting tendencies but never associated with bacteria.

This might be interesting to add:
www.pakbs.org/pjbot/PDFs/38(4)/PJB38(4)1323.pdf

The only creatures I have observed have been soil mites. I identified them as mites that hunt down decomposing materials.
When transplanting and observation of the roots, they appear white and healthy. No issues other a neem based foilar, sprayed with the lights on. (Only the Sativa were affected, Indica's had no issues.)

Last edited: