What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sell All My Belongings and Live Out of A Van?

Green Squall

Should I sell all of my belongings and buy a Chevy City Van to live out of in San Francisco? My income is only 750 a month so I don't have many options. I could put a couple solar panels on top to run a fan, radio, and computer.

I am on disability. I take three different types of medicine once a day that could probably be substituted for cannabis. But I live in a nonfriendly state in my parent's nonfriendly house.

Something my dad always told me is to try it before you make a decision. Once you get an automobile, go on a road trip and see if you can hack it. Also isn't california extremely expensive nowadays?There are a reason middle class people are leaving in droves. What about mail? Would probably have to get a PO Box.

How do prescriptions work? Do you need a home address? i'm not saying don't do it, just think it through and don't make and rash decisions.

shithawk420

Veteran
if your going to do it,save up and get a decent van.last thing you wanna do is buy a shitty van and break down with no money to fix it.then your really fucked

igrowone

Veteran
i have seen there are some low cost locales down in the desert country
slab city(i think) and some others, more of a winter time refuge
1/4 of the year is a start, provided it fits the need
no personal experience, but i feel the need for survival choices

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

best deal I could find in CA was in the Sacramento area @ the Stillman RV Park, $500 per month + electric: STILLMAN RV PARK 3880 Stillman Park Circle, Sacramento. I think your electric rate in a tiny van would be small, but there still may be a minimum.
Stillman's amenities as listed:
*24-hour Security Gate
* Full Hook-up RV Sites
* Daily, Weekly & Monthly Rates
* The Security of a Gated Park
* Swimming Pool
* Club House w/Kitchen
* Laundry Room open 24/7
* Clean Showers & Rest Rooms
* BBQ & Picnic Area
* Activities, Parties, Bingo
* Professional Full-time On-Site Staff
* Clean, Quiet & Well-Run

The only thing missing might be your folks.......

everywhere else & closer to the water was $2000 per month, even @ the KOA campgrounds.

best of luck if you choose this route. Also check city/state ordinances about overnight camping in RV's in Wal-Mart parking lots, wherever you can do it, it's free! I even did that in NY when I travelled in my motorhome, check into that.

Maybe WA or OR might be more camper friendly in Wal-Marts :dunno: both being great cannabis access states.

Spaventa

Veteran
Damn! that sounds awesome stoner!at that price i might have to do it!

Yeah it does. The wilderness was a nice idea but realistically, that place sounds like fun. If there is a some nice female neighbours, your made, with that pool and club house and all. If I was a younger man... lol

alpo

Do it.. Sounds like you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I traveled all around years ago in vans and trucks. It is harder now days they have closed down lots of camping spots but I am sure it still can be done.

If you have a clean looking vehicle move it around and don't bother people you should do fine. You can get gym memberships from places that have them all over and have hot tub and shower for $30. a mo or so.

I was going to get a motel room one night a month for $35. Then I can shower, wash my clothes, sleep in a bed

vta

Veteran
I was going to get a motel room one night a month for $35. Then I can shower, wash my clothes, sleep in a bed

Once a month shower? What's going on here ? You have a home now. But want to be homeless ? You say you are disabled...sorry...how so though ? Physically ? If so I know plenty of options in CA. What's up ?

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn! that sounds awesome stoner!at that price i might have to do it!
Yeah it does. The wilderness was a nice idea but realistically, that place sounds like fun. If there is a some nice female neighbours, your made, with that pool and club house and all. If I was a younger man... lol

I know I'm gettin' old when it's the bingo that's callin' out to me.

EDIT:
We've done this for many years , San Fran is a pretty tough spot . San Diego, is real do able you can sleep feista island , you just have to find a place to park between 2 and 4 in the mourning.

I like California because I make about 400 extra compared to any other state , assuming you get ssi.

You get 180 supplement in California, and you will get an extra homeless benefit 200 for living out of your van , assuming you get ssi

Even if you didn't get that +$400 that right is talking about, you'd certainly qualify for the $180 supplemental assistance & the $200 homeless benefit. 750+180+200 = $1130.

Unless you think roughing it out against the cops for a free place to stay is best, book @ an affordable RV park to your liking, shower every day, have neighbors to visit with, socialize, bbq, break out a lawn chair w/out being hassled by the pigs etc.

oh yeah, don't forget that bingo ;)

EDIT yet again:
Get picked up by the cops for illegal camping? Tow & impound $100 it you're lucky. Fines (you'll get written several citations) $350 easy. Court costs another $100; that's $550 guessing to the light side, now that does include at least one nights lodging & a couple of bad meals courtesy of the local sheriff's department.

That's way past that $500 per month rent @ that or any other number of RV parks, smart money picks the park, hang out in SF by day; if you got to, you can even pretend to be more homeless than you really are, give you that Haight Ashbury experience of it all.

Stay safe, that means you're back/backside is covered, an RV park offers you that 'don't need to be lookin' over your shoulders' margin of safety that the streets do not.

:dunno:

Last edited:

If your looking to live in a legal state a place like colorado might be a cheaper place to live. Winter is rough though but if you live in the southern part of the state it's not too bad. Even Oregon and Washington might be cheaper places to live. Plus those states have lots of wilderness and camping areas you could probably stay at transiently. I'd say Alaska but the winters are very harsh and the bears are huge up there. Whatever you do though good luck man hope it all works out for you.

Once a month shower? What's going on here ? You have a home now. But want to be homeless ? You say you are disabled...sorry...how so though ? Physically ? If so I know plenty of options in CA. What's up ?

Said something about his living situation in his parents house not be very amicable or at least that's what it seemed like to me. Whatever's going on you gotta have your stuff together and have solid plans before just jumping out there. As bad a situation can be it can seem like heaven in hindsight if you end up homeless and suffering. Best of luck to you though alpo if you do move out make sure you got a solid plan

green404

$35 hotel in San Fran is going to be scary.. bed bugs, crack dealers, lose syringes,

Rec center and a laundry mat would be much cleaner and safer.

St. Phatty

$35 hotel in San Fran is going to be scary.. bed bugs, crack dealers, lose syringes,

These days $35 might buy 4 hours at a motel in SF.

There's actually a few square miles of forest out near the ocean in SF.

For sure there's people living there.

Got to escape from HOA's somehow.

Mr.Miner

Best of luck to you, man. I can imagine that if you are willing to hit the road and rough it then your home life must be less-than-ideal.

That RV park sounds like the perfect solution...Lay low and don't spend and then head north come harvest time to trim. You can make a shit-load of money and I am sure that someone will let you park on their farm during that time. Save up and then head back to the RV park. Sounds fucking awesome now that I type that out.

If you are a worker, are trustworthy and have solid ethics I could bet that someone will wind up employing you and these days will be just a memory.

Like other people said- don't make any rash decisions and make sure that your wheels are solid.

CrossBones

I used to run around the country living out of cars, rv's ect.. most all the good safer camp spots in the major metropolitan areas are gone due to building expansion, Now to stay in city prime area's, I go to Hostels, cheap, shared living with other backpackers. even free if you can get a gig helping man the front desk or clean rooms 18 hours a week.. Been around the world in nice hotels, but still have more fun at the local hostel... a much much more social environment.. think co-ed college dorm..

green404

I used to run around the country living out of cars, rv's ect.. most all the good safer camp spots in the major metropolitan areas are gone due to building expansion, Now to stay in city prime area's, I go to Hostels, cheap, shared living with other backpackers. even free if you can get a gig helping man the front desk or clean rooms 18 hours a week.. Been around the world in nice hotels, but still have more fun at the local hostel... a much much more social environment.. think co-ed college dorm..

Hostels are cool, I traveled all over Europe and stayed in many. Good way to meet smoking hot European backpacker girls. Much funner to hang in the lobby and meet fellow travelers then sit in a room by yourself.

I traded work a couple that were cool so I could spend some time there. I also traded work at WOLF farms.

Usually hostels have an age limit of 24-30 the ones that don't can be a little dodgy.

I used to camp in National Forest when I roamed around the US. Most all the old spots I stayed at are closed now. I don't know of any free camping in Cali anymore.

alpo

joke

joke

anyone see me on the news today ''30-year-old ordered to vacate parents' home''

cityexpressps.jpg