What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Brothers Grimm C99 and 630w CMH, in dwc!!!

Goats

Goats:
The local grow store has it and preaches it's benefits. I'm on the fence about it. Might try it in a side by side later, but not with this grow. It will have to be done with clones to see any real differences. Price tag smells like snake oil... with hydro less is more and simplicity is the golden rule. Black magic doesn't grow good plants, attentive growers do ha ha.

I feel you man. This is far and away the easiest run I've had in DWC and is also far and away the cheapest using jacks. I bought 4lb tubs for a total of like $130 CAD shipped and will likely be able to do 4 or 5 now runs before having to buy more. Add in the fulvic and bennies and I'm only paying maybe $75 total for an entire 4×4 tent grow. Before jacks I was spending hundreds per run on notes.

I've also been able to go longer between res changes and pH swings are far less. Jacks has been a godsend.

:woohoo:

Hey goats great progress on your girls , you mentioned having changeouts being a nuisance , I assume it's because you have to empty your reservoir,I also run DWC and what I did is that I added a pump with a 1/2 inch hose sticking out of the reservoir, to the reservoir to stay in there the whole time , that way every time my jacks climbsover 1200 ppms or the ph is to high while in flower ( around week 3 things start moving for me ppm wise ) , I do a total changeout by simply plugging in the pump and emptying the reservoir, or I might've missed the point of the post completely lol , FSG.

Junk

FrozenFire: I see...you are running the 18 gals as a non-plumbed DWC. How are you emptying them? Do you just keep a spare pump and throw it in to pump out? Tangerine Kush...I've not heard of it so I just looked it up. That's some all star genetics right there! I'll have to look at your link after.

Just so I'm sure, are you saying you top the plants after the flip?

Goats: I use Orca and love it. I've used GW (the powder form) in soil and hydro and loved it as well, but the Orca seems to work better in hydro. I won't grow w/o it, it's that good. I also love Botanicaire Liquid Karma. It's incredible.

Goats:
When your Ppm hits 1200, is that the measurement after the resivoir level drops or after it's been topped off with water? It could be from the plants being extra thirsty and just drinking water without touching the food. If that's the case, top off with straight water, then measure ppm. Then measure ph , add nutes if needed, then adjust ph of resivoir as needed. Unless I'm having root problems I only change out resivoirs once a grow between week 1 and 4 of bloom. Changing out your res means all the bennies that were growing in it get wiped out. High ppm just needs to be deluted with plain water...

Junk:
I use a submersible pump with a hose attached. It gets dropped into re resivoir, and pumped to 5 gallon buckets outside of the tent. Yup exotic seeds did a wonderful job with the tangerine kush. I also started with great white and switched to orca. I won't grow hydro without orca. It flat out rocks. I've also tried botanicare hydro guard. Not near as good as orca. I'll easily get a years worth of bennies out of the 40 dollar bottle of orca ha ha. Yes I top soon after switching to bloom. It stunts growth and helps tame stretch. I very rarely get more than 6 to 12 inches of vertical growth after I top them. In a small tent with high powered lights it's a nessicity ad I need at least 12 to 18 inches of clearance from bulb of 750w DE hps to canopy. Otherwise I'll burn the shit outta the plants and light stress them. This is also strain dependent. Tangerine kush will take 750 at 18 to 12 inches. Other plants need 18 inches at least, and need to be acclimated to that kind of intensity very slowly. Light stress is a very real issue that will trigger hermafrodite responses from sensitive plants. Ask me how I know ha ha.

Oops another rabbit track. ADD is a bitch. Anyhow I firmly believe in order to know what your plants can take, you have to push them till they tell you to stop. Once you know what they can handle, act accordingly.

Ok she has been topped for the last time hopefully and given a moderate deleafing. So far c99 #4 (back left plant) looks to be the strongest of the bunch. I'm willing to bet she is going to be the one with the heaviest branches. Anyhow here is how they look now. Time to go top off the resivoir and give them their first taste of bud igniter!
picture.php

Goats

don't think i am even hitting 1200ppm. tbh, the plants have been so happy i stopped even checking, haha. i think last time i measured it was like ~900 something when freshly mixed.

i use a submersible pump to refill the reservoirs, but empty them via the hose + grommet. it gets annoying in flower when the plants are big and there is no space in the tent. it's not a huge deal, i just like to bitch :biggrin:

Only one word can describe the growth this week. EXPLOSIVE! I topped and defoaliated with the intention of slowing the plants down during initial bloom. It didn't work. Even with topping they grew over a foot this week. The plants are on average height of 3 feet give or take an inch or 3. The canopy is packed and they have filled out beautifully. All of the plants are starting to develop more pronounced odors. I'm actually contemplating putting them in the 5x9 tent so I can stake them out. They are so healthy it would be a shame to limit their potential with the 2x4 tent. As far as the new light goes, it is continuing to exceed my expectations. The light runs cooler by 5 to 8 degrees. The plants also love the light. They are between 12 to 14 inches from the light and there are no signs of stress whatsoever. At 750 with the hps the plants would start displaying leaf cupping at the edges and transpirating to deal with the heat from the light around 16 inches from bulb. Cmh isn't anywhere near that. I am seriously curious how it will affect bud structure, density and other phenotypes expressed in bloom. This is what the end of the first week of bloom looks like. I've also included a picture of my bubble cloner. diy and it works like a champ.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

starke

Yeah, I'm bringing the bean bag and the grill. Could be here a minute for this one. Your ladies are looking lovely.

Its like a mini jungle in there , nice!!!! I usually run karmas gear and they have a strain that includes c99 in it , will definitely stay aroun dfor this one , I ran maxibloom and felt that it needed some additives at week 7 thru 9 , before flush , that's why I stayed with jacks and koolbloom for a spike , great job bro , FSG.

Mini jungle is accurate FSG. The plants are currently 3'6" to almost 4' tall!!! They have almost doubled in height in a week and a half. They started bloom at roughly 2 feet tall. This is nuts. I normally bloom at 18"to 24" and have a final height close to 3'. I will be setting my advanced lineup aside and giving powdered koolbloom a try on this run. I never did add bud igniter. As far as budding goes, tangerine kush is kicking off way faster than any of the c99. I knew the tangerine was quick, but I was expecting similar or faster with the c99. I'll keep an eye on this to see if this changes over time.

Start of week 3 update! Man this run is pushing my little tent to the max. I ran out of head room part way through last week. My reflector is currently zip tied to the center cross rail of the tent frame. The adjustable light hangers ate up valuable head room. I dialed the light back from 700w back to 630w. I'll post pictures of the 700w par readings when I get a chance. These measurements were taken at random locations at canopy level, which is 12 inches from the bulb to the canopy. All plants are hovering around the 4' mark. The back right c99 had to be super cropped as she is refusing to cooperate. I am trying to keep them in the 2x4 tent as that was the original plan for this grow. It wouldn't be apples to apples comparison if I give them the bigger tent to finish in. I will say that this light is helping them kick some serious ass. There is a noticeable difference in heat with the cmh at 700w vs the 750w hps. It's nice not having to run my hyper fan wide open to keep things where the plants like it.

So far tangerine kush is leading the charge in bud development and tricome development. C99 isn't far behind in bud development though. Both c99 on the left are pretty similar in structure and bud development. Pictures will be loaded later.

So the girls got their legs shaved. They are looking much more presentable! Anyhow here are pics of above/below the canopy, and par readings at 12 inches from the bulb at 700w. Just dialed light to 630w until the vertical growth calms down.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks! Everyone in the tent is super healthy and no signs of any kind of defficiencies this grow so far. There is a couple leaves with a hint of burn from them getting thirsty and raising the ppm of the res since I didn't top off the res with water soon enough. Big things are on the horizon. I'll update with details later.

Yea it's not a high end unit or anything, but it gets you a general idea. The cmh DE setup at 700w rocks pretty hard. It's competitive with my 1000w de phantom dimmed to 750.
Lots of light per watt, and the plants are flourishing under the light. I have a feeling I'll be getting some rock hard nugs this run. I'm also betting the gpw/ grams per square foot will be on step with my past runs. I might do some testing with the light once the run is done and map out the par readings on a grid. We shall see.

Raho

Veteran
I might do some testing with the light once the run is done and map out the par readings on a grid. We shall see.

Beautiful plants FrozenFire!
that would be very nice to see a light output grid taken from a few different heights.

I see multiple UMOL readings in your pics.
Can you tell us where the readings were taken from in relation to the light and at what distance?

I think the kind of reflector on that fixture is designed to focus the light in a spot and be used further away from the canopy.

How much headroom have you got left in the tent?
I would expect C99 to have some stretch in her when you flip.