What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Crohn's and IBD

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I have had strains in the past that I felt almost immediate relief with but could never get consistently and weren't named. Now that I am growing my own I am looking for recommendations from anyone with direct experience. I deal with cramping, gas,pain,and am constantly going to the bathroom. I have plenty of prescription meds but don't like taking them for obvious reasons. Any and all help is appreciated :tiphat:

Green Squall

I really don't think there is a one strain cure all. I don't have crohns, by my stomach gets all of of whack sometimes and any indica helps with pain and discomfort. I've wanted to try high CBD strains, but haven't gotten around to growing any yet.

I hope when the recreational stores open up, there will be a good selection of high CBD strains to test out (I live in MA too)

Do you take probiotics? They changed my life. I drink 8 oz of kombucha daily and eat fermented foods with lunch and dinner.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I have had strains in the past that I felt almost immediate relief with but could never get consistently and weren't named. Now that I am growing my own I am looking for recommendations from anyone with direct experience. I deal with cramping, gas,pain,and am constantly going to the bathroom. I have plenty of prescription meds but don't like taking them for obvious reasons. Any and all help is appreciated :tiphat:

I have UC and Crohn's and spent years in Cali dispensaries figuring out what worked best for me.

OG Kush, cookies, Sour Diesel, and Chem strains give me the best relief.

W

Water-

check out the company CSI Humboldt.

they have good Bubba Kush and Purps and OG crosses.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Greensqual: I need to take probiotics really don't know why I haven't,will go get some today. Will look into the fermented foods as I have never heard of that.

Chunkypigs: yeah I am a big fan of the og kush and definitely love some sour d. Who do you think has the best/strong genetics seeds. I am planning on running some pot of gold by flying Dutchman because I really liked it when I got some one time. Been trying to get it ever since, it was very strong and worked well. Will be starting back up indoor at the end of summer and just trying to get a decent stable of seeds to go through this winter.
Thanks for the replies :)

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Greensqual: I need to take probiotics really don't know why I haven't,will go get some today. Will look into the fermented foods as I have never heard of that.

Chunkypigs: yeah I am a big fan of the og kush and definitely love some sour d. Who do you think has the best/strong genetics seeds. I am planning on running some pot of gold by flying Dutchman because I really liked it when I got some one time. Been trying to get it ever since, it was very strong and worked well. Will be starting back up indoor at the end of summer and just trying to get a decent stable of seeds to go through this winter.
Thanks for the replies :)

i tried for years growing those genetics from different seeds but found that the clone only versions were the ones that helped most.

that's why I've been trying to get them spread around so other sick people outside the Cali market can also get help.

Green Squall

IMO I think you get more probiotics from fermented foods and drink compared with supplements. At least it works better for me. If you decide to go with supplements, ask the pharmacist which brand is best.

For foods I eat mostly kimchi and sauerkraut. Real sauerkraut, not the canned stuff.

Gry

Nausea and seizure activity resulting from a surgery.
I have found that a decarbed extract of frozen quick wash taken evenly around the clock cuts way down on the frequency and severity. For years I went with a skywalker/bubba cross. Lost it, and am trying suitable replacement clones.
I stay away from sugar. Same with soda and coffee. I drink very dilute green tea that I sweeten with peach juice.
I stick with a vegan diet and do several small meals a day. I stay away from all processed foods.
I have had good results with a real spicy diet.
Breakfast for me is a mixture of a poblano, a pasilla, an anaheim and a bell pepper diced and boiled to a mash. I add a couple of table spoons of chia seeds to thicken it. I crush an avocado, which I mix 50/50 with the chilli/chia seed and that is breakfast. It works out best when I eat small amounts evenly spaced.
In the evening I make a curry using a paki curry paste and I use 3 times what is suggested.
I use the same chillies I use in the morning, and 1/2 pound of mushrooms, and two potatoes, one regular and one sweet.
Small amounts evenly spaced ...
Once nausea starts, a tub of overly hot water and smoked frozen quick wash from very strong cannabis helps, so does meditation. For the hot water to be effective, it needs so hot it hurts like hell.
Have scars from it and I keep sheets of the 3M stick on adhesive that is used for people with burns.
An endless string of stuff from big pharma, has done no good.
What did help somewhat, was acupuncture, and acupressure.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Yeah I was under the impression that the only OG worth getting is in clone form. sucky part is Mass has almost no market for good clones. Someday but in the meantime I am stuck popping seeds to find something good.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
All you peeps with the diet recommendations: thanks! I agree that what you eat can play a huge factor. While I try to avoid processed foods and eat all natural low fat beef and chicken breast for meats as well as most veggies. I am a picky bastard though which makes it tough because a lot of the things that are good for me I don't necessarily like.

Do any of you that have stomach problems have any issues with edibles? I have tried many different kinds/brands as well as many strengths (started with 10 mg lozenges all the way up to 500 mg chews) and nothing. No effect at all. Just wondering about others experience.

Gry

I generally go with sublingual as I am looking for a more rapid effect.
Are you using lecithin ?
I would suggest you give it a try, it can make the difference.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I generally go with sublingual as I am looking for a more rapid effect.
Are using lecithin ?
I would suggest you give it a try, it can make the difference.

Do you take the lecithin by itself? Is it a supplement or are you using it as a form of delivering thc? I have never heard of this. Again thanks for the dialogue it has been very informative.

Gry

No, it is added to the decarbed extract as an emulsifier.
The addition of it allows the body to process it much more effectively, allowing one to get the most out of their meds .

I do a frozen quick wash.
Then I use a citric acid extraction which user Bad kitty smiles kindly shared with us :
https://cannapedia.me/Citric+Acid+Extraction
She does not get specific about lecithin in that particular tutorial - I use 1- 2% of the weight of my extract .
It can be mixed with anything -I love to put it in my tea with a whisk.
If one is hurting a great deal, a small amount sublingualed works very quickly.
It is strong enough I was able to forego the morphine pump when I was last in ICU.

THCengineer

Crohns-Disease.jpg

https://accmag.com/business-health-...ohns-disease-no-side-effects-new-study-shows/
Smoking Marijuana Causes ‘Complete Remission’ of Crohn’s Disease, No Side Effects, New Study Shows - By acc Posted on June 16, 2017

Marijuana – scientific name “cannabis” – performed like a champ in the first-ever placebo-controlled trial of the drug to treat Crohn’s Disease, also known as inflammatory bowel disease.
The disease of the digestive tract afflicts 400,000 – 600,000 people in North America alone causing abdominal pain, diarrhea (which can be bloody), severe vomiting, weight loss, as well as secondary skin rashes, arthritis, inflammation of the eye, tiredness, and lack of concentration.

Smoking pot caused a “complete remission” of Crohn’s disease compared to placebo in half the patients who lit up for eight weeks, according to clinical trial data to be published the journal Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology.

Researchers at Israel’s Meir Medical Center took 21 people with intractable, severe Crohn’s disease and gave 11 of them two joints a day for eight weeks. “The standardized cannabis cigarettes” contained 23 percent THC and 0.5 percent CBD (cannabidiol). (Such marijuana is available on dispensary shelves in San Francisco, Oakland, and other cities that have regulated access to the drug.) The other ten subjects smoked placebo cigarettes containing no active cannabinoids.

Investigators reported that smoking weed caused a “complete remission” of Crohn’s Disease in five of the 11 subjects. Another five of the eleven test subjects saw their Crohn’s Disease symptoms cut in half. Furthermore, “subjects receiving cannabis reported improved appetite and sleep, with no significant side effects.”

The study is the first placebo-controlled clinical trial to assess the consumption of cannabis for the treatment of Crohn’s, notes NORML. All of the patients had intractable forms of the disease and did not respond to conventional treatments. Still, the United States government claims that marijuana is as dangerous as heroin and has no medical use. U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag is waging a war on safe access to medical cannabis in the Bay Area.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
This study kind of confirms what I was telling my doctors even though these didn't really believe me. So I had a surgery a long 10+ years ago that is related to crohns but I showed no other symptoms so doctors didn't make the diagnosis or even bring up the relationship. Fast forward to last year. I had my first resection of my small intestines where they removed @3-4 feet of it. My new GI doctor told me I have had crohns a long time and kept asking me about symptoms I may have had. Strange thing was I had no symptoms till the time I needed surgery and ever since surgery have been dealing with the symptoms described in my opening post. Now I have always been a heavy user of cannabis as I have had multiple shoulder surgeries and dealt with pain associated with it this way. So I came to the conclusion that the cannabis was keeping all the bad effects from the crohns to a bare minimum so I never noticed it until I had a blockage and the resulting surgery. I also get great relief from the cramping almost immediately after vaping. I am just glad that science is finally starting to really look into the efficacy of cannabis in treating medical conditions. Looking forward to the day that we can isolate exactly what we want/need to cure ourselves.
Good luck out there :)

packratt

Awesome info, thanks for posting. Wife suffers from Crohns, as well as cystic fibroses , which makes smoking impossible for her. Will have to try citric acid/lecithin. She did try edibles but did not like the effect, made her very lethargic

Mb1991

Hi, does anyone know how you can buy ROS oil for cancer, i unable to grow and my time is ticking, Thanks!

THCengineer

Distilled water and colloidal silver and sun chlorella tablets have greatly improved my health, (and that of my two 13-year old cats, Gabriel & Raphael whom I give a pet version of chlorella to), and at age 70, that is saying a lot.

brown_thumb

I don't have a diagnosis for my intestinal problems but I hurt all the time. It's some kind of inflammation problem. I hurt from the top of my stomach all the way through to my 'exit' point. Sometimes, I'm awake all night in pain and am on/off the toilet all night (sorry to be so direct).

I'm new to cannabis and its medicinal properties. However, I do believe it's helping with the intestinal pain and inflammation. This, in turn, is helping with the cramps and diarrhea.

Chewing/ingesting also lasts much longer than smoking, though the effect is different than smoking it. After a few hours, I sleep like a baby... better than I have for many years. One major unwanted effect is the extreme loss of balance associated with eating the strains I've tried.

Latest posts

Latest posts